Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Monkey mans power adder

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue May 16, 2017 8:28 pm

dhobbs wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm Just seen this thread and thought wow!
Big respect to anyone doing this sort of thing, takes a lot of balls.
Maybe you should change your name to Mad Monkey!
Balls stupidity some may say they are closely linked!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

jonwilli

Monkey mans power adder

Post by jonwilli » Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for letting me know. What brand of piggy back is it?

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 17, 2017 6:16 am

jonwilli wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 pm Thanks for letting me know. What brand of piggy back is it?
Perfect power smt8
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 am

But i drilled the holes for gauges. Had a slip and have managed to mark the facia. No problem I should be able to re finish it.
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG (112.52 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Fitted and plumbed in the oil cooler, Oil cooler thermostat, In line filter, And the senders for the temp and pressure gauges.
IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG (74.79 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG (84.6 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
]IMG_2882.JPG[/attachment]

Still lots and lots to do.
Attachments
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG (57.12 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Brilliant :thumbsup: Glad you're actually doing this, its been a long time talked about in several of your previous posts. It all looks like really high quality work too - can't wait to see the end result :thumbsup:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Machine Monkey car looking good but don't over do it otherwise it may resemble this
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:04 pm

:rofl: :rofl: Yeah its more just get it working for now tidy things later. All the stuff in the boot will eventually be hidden by false floors. And the gauges might be moved. But like I say got to get it finished first. I can’t see me ever selling it. So i have lots of time to improve it once it’s working.

Although saying all that. I don’t want a show car look. More posh Mad Max.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Interesting to see that you're going for the mishimoto thermostat.

Where did you get your oil cooler bypass from?

I'm almost done with fitting my s54 oil cooler housing. Most difficulties have been solved now (getting the output fittings to pass the supercharger drive snout) I only need to line up the bottom pulley now, so making some offset bushings on the lathe probably).
I'm using a much larger cooler though (19 row). Dont know if thats necessary though.

edit:
Oh wait, that oil cooler is mounted at the back! Took me some time to realize that :rofl:
So that oil cooler+ thermostat is there to cool the oil return in case the turbo heats it up too much?
Is that necessary with those long lines? I assume the oil return goes directly to the sump?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:35 pm

GuidoK wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:58 pm Interesting to see that you're going for the mishimoto thermostat.

Where did you get your oil cooler bypass from?

I'm almost done with fitting my s54 oil cooler housing. Most difficulties have been solved now (getting the output fittings to pass the supercharger drive snout) I only need to line up the bottom pulley now, so making some offset bushings on the lathe probably).
I'm using a much larger cooler though (19 row). Dont know if thats necessary though.

edit:
Oh wait, that oil cooler is mounted at the back! Took me some time to realize that :rofl:
So that oil cooler+ thermostat is there to cool the oil return in case the turbo heats it up too much?
Is that necessary with those long lines? I assume the oil return goes directly to the sump?
The turbo has it own oil feed system completly separate from the engine oil. I still have to figure out an oil cooler fix for engine oil. One step at a time!!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:37 pm

So you also have a seperate oil reservoir and (electric?) pump?
Makes sense then indeed to monitor that pressure if something goes wrong.
And the cooler makes much more sense now too.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Yeah it snow balled 1 feed pump oil tank thermostat cooler filter 1 return pump pressure and temp gauges!!!

Would have been easier to run long lines! :headbang: :headbang: :rofl: :rofl:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by GuidoK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm

I think the m3 oil filter housing dropped recently in price from bmw with like 50% or so.
I recall it being about 400 quid new but now its half. Still expensive of course but not silly expensive and that may have its results on 2nd hand ones as well. (on ebay 2nd hand ones are still listed at about 200quid or more.... :rofl: )
BMW probably had another batch made or so. I dont know if that effected quality of that they got it from a different OEM (original OEM is Knecht).

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Great to see two Z4 'top tinkerers' sharing ideas :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Good to know they are cheaper now :thumbsup:

I have an M54 housing waiting at a scrap yard I need to pick up. I was just going to give it a look over see what I can come up with. I might make a sandwich plate. Or a manifold and just run a oil relocation kit?

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Number5 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Stop talking and get on with it Matthew :telloff:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR