Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Monkey mans power adder

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:51 am

rich48848 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 am This blog talks a lot of sense on rear turbos. The car sound pretty good too!
http://www.stavtech.co.uk/home/rear-mou ... e-right-if
Yes Rich this was read and it's great at discribing why and how to do it.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by MrPT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:51 am
rich48848 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 am This blog talks a lot of sense on rear turbos. The car sound pretty good too!
That is an amusing blog.
This is the never ending myth that comes up almost every time someone asks about fitting big intercoolers on forums and so on. You can be assured a knowitall, who no doubt has zero experience of it or he'd not say it in the first place, will tell you long boost pipes and/or massive intercoolers will make your car laggy, especially if you have a small turbo.

Well, let me say, that's TOTAL BOLLOCKS.
:rofl:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

rich48848

Monkey mans power adder

Post by rich48848 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:01 pm

MrPT wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:51 am
That is an amusing blog.
This is the never ending myth that comes up almost every time someone asks about fitting big intercoolers on forums and so on. You can be assured a knowitall, who no doubt has zero experience of it or he'd not say it in the first place, will tell you long boost pipes and/or massive intercoolers will make your car laggy, especially if you have a small turbo.

Well, let me say, that's TOTAL BOLLOCKS.
:rofl:
His other posts are quite entertaining too. The stuff about autocross engines is very interesting. I never knew about the Anti Lag Systems they all use.

He likes that turbo you've got too!
The turbo in question is THIS thing, their version of one of the 'Holy Grail' (ie f***ing impossible to get) Holsets, a HX32. A HX32 is, basically, a HX35 sized compressor mated to a HX30 turbine wheel, which makes for a 400-500bhp capable turbo that spools like f**k, and is very highly rated by all of the lucky few that have got to use them.
Current rides: Z4 coupe, LR Defender, MX5 mk2.5, Austin 16, FV101, FV433, BRDM2
Past rides: Bedford HA van, Skoda Rapide, 405, Fiat Coupe 20VT, BMW M5 e39, Nissan GTR R-35

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Mon May 08, 2017 7:30 am

So car plans are on hold for a while. My mate who rented the workshop has moved house. The workshop was part of the deal on the house he rented. He has now brought his own place (It needed work so for the last 3-4 weeks we have been working on his house. Now we have to over the next month or two prep our new workshop. Fit electrics airlines build stud walls and insulate (we are getting to old for working in the cold!!) Then we need to move all our tools and equipment. I hope to have a day here and there on the car but it won’t be done soon :thumbsdown: :cry: :cry:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Chris_D » Mon May 08, 2017 8:06 am

'Plate full' I'd say Mat.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Marlon » Mon May 08, 2017 8:33 am

slight setback there Mat :(
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 am

Sorry to hear that buddy, need any help?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Mon May 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Yeah it sucks a bit!!

I am hoping to find a day here and there. As the car is so close to being finished. My main problem is my mate Chris not being around. I could really do with his input. Well if i am honest to hold my hand and guide me a little on finishing and then tuning.

bony_13

Monkey mans power adder

Post by bony_13 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Somehow missed all this - not been on the forum much i guess!

Great thread Matt and hope it all works out :thumbsup:

robbansson

Monkey mans power adder

Post by robbansson » Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Great work!
2003 S54 Roadster, M- exhaust, Powerflex, Eibach B12 Pro-Kit, Brembo 4p 348mm floating front / 336mm rear, Recaro seats,

jonwilli

Monkey mans power adder

Post by jonwilli » Mon May 15, 2017 8:09 am

This is a great thread! I have a E81 130i with a Rotrex supercharger fitted and am having issues with the software tuning. Are you tuning the OEM Siemens ECU yourself? Have you had any issues with this side of the build? Cheers

Edit: sorry I see you are using a piggy back ECU, which piggy back ECU are you using? What parameters does it allow you to tune? How easy is it to tune the piggy back ECU?

dhobbs

Monkey mans power adder

Post by dhobbs » Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Just seen this thread and thought wow!
Big respect to anyone doing this sort of thing, takes a lot of balls.
Maybe you should change your name to Mad Monkey!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

bony_13 wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 pm Somehow missed all this - not been on the forum much i guess!

Great thread Matt and hope it all works out :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy I hope it dose too!!! I have a day free hopefully over the weekend so fingers crossed I can get it moving forward again.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

robbansson wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm Great work!
:thumbsup:

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Monkey mans power adder

Post by Machine monkey » Tue May 16, 2017 8:26 pm

jonwilli wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:09 am This is a great thread! I have a E81 130i with a Rotrex supercharger fitted and am having issues with the software tuning. Are you tuning the OEM Siemens ECU yourself? Have you had any issues with this side of the build? Cheers

Edit: sorry I see you are using a piggy back ECU, which piggy back ECU are you using? What parameters does it allow you to tune? How easy is it to tune the piggy back ECU?
Not got to that bit yet!!
But the piggy back will control fuel timing boost (via a boost solenoid) it can control quite a bit I will do a proper review and give an opinion once I have set it up and used it.