Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension changes - how much easier with a pit?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Newbers

Post by Newbers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am

I'm slowly getting all my new bits and pieces together:

Front control arm bushes (Meyle HD)
Front anti-roll bar bushes (Powerflex)
Front top strut mounting (Meyle)
Rear trailing arm bushes (Meyle HD)
Rear trailing arm bush limiters (PSB)
Rear top shock mounting (Meyle HD. I do have some Powerflex ones but I'm not sure I'm ready for them...)
Springs & shocks (likely to be KW)

To those that have done this lot - how much easier would it be to do it from a pit? I could use a pit at my parent's house but it would be a pain to coordinate etc. The alternative is to use a combination of trolley jack + axle stands (I was toying with the idea of getting another trolley jack too and possibly some ramps).
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Only thing a pit would be useful for is the ARBs, they don't take long to swap.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

greg81

Post by greg81 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Newbers wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am I'm slowly getting all my new bits and pieces together:

Front control arm bushes (Meyle HD)
Front anti-roll bar bushes (Powerflex)
Front top strut mounting (Meyle)
Rear trailing arm bushes (Meyle HD)
Rear trailing arm bush limiters (PSB)
Rear top shock mounting (Meyle HD. I do have some Powerflex ones but I'm not sure I'm ready for them...)
Springs & shocks (likely to be KW)

To those that have done this lot - how much easier would it be to do it from a pit? I could use a pit at my parent's house but it would be a pain to coordinate etc. The alternative is to use a combination of trolley jack + axle stands (I was toying with the idea of getting another trolley jack too and possibly some ramps).
I replaced all of my front parts not so long ago at a car club I go to. First week I did it up on the ramp, but second week I did the other side on the ground with axel stands and it was FAR easier.

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Cheers guys, that's encouraging - there would be a lot of hassle associated with having to clear out my dad's garage etc......
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

I've just bought this monster http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-e ... olley-jack
Together with chocks and tall axle stands it will give loads of clearance under a car. Mine arrived yesterday, it is very heavy and sturdy, with the 1.5 ton rating due to the range of the height. Comments in the feedback show people are lifting Transits and Sprinters up with them (importantly at one end)! :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Oh and I changed my RTABs and fitted limiters on a 2 post lift which was really easy, I would imagine a 4 post or a pit could be more difficult.
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Sat May 20, 2017 11:44 pm

I managed to get about half of what I was hoping to, done today:

KW Springs & shocks - Done
Rear top shock mounting (Meyle HD) - Done
Front top strut mounting (Meyle) - Done

I had a lot of trouble getting the ARB links off and ended up having to grind an old bicycle pedal spanner to stop the shaft at the back rotating.
Also struggled to get the nuts on the top of the front shocks (inside the top mounts tightened down. I don't have a deep 22mm ring spanner. I've seen pictures of a special socket but I can't seem to find anyone that sells them.

I made some low ramps so I could get the car reasonably level to work on and my jacking tool viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96784&hilit=jack+jack was brilliant.

I'm not to daunted by the rear trailing arm bushes and limiters (hopefully I can get the bushes out OK). But I'm really not sure about doing the front control arm bushes. I'll need to get the car a lot higher than I can with my 2 tonne trolley jack.

I think I'll bite the bullet and put it over the pit at my dads or more likely get my local indy to do it.

I notice my rear ARB bushes look knackered so I'll order some of them too.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat May 20, 2017 11:56 pm

For the top nut you want something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182032402218
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Sun May 21, 2017 12:47 am

I think I'd struggle with those as the KW has a 10mm hex on the top of the shaft (with a tiny allen bolt in the centre for adjusting the rebound). I think the answer is either a box spanner held in mole grips or something with a socket down the middle or I just might get it with a deep 22mm ring spanner. These jobs are so much easier when you have the right tools.....

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Mon May 29, 2017 6:57 pm

I borrowed an impact gun in the end to sort out the nuts on the top mounts which made life very easy. I know you're not supposed to but I'm pretty sure it'll be OK.