Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Update / A year since my last post / another failed roof motor

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ESP

Post by ESP » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 pm

:o How random! My profile says my last post was 21st of April 2016, apologies Z4 family.
I just thought id have a browse around, Check out some photography, stuff for sale, see if anyones sad enough to bothered to turbo a 2lt lol (old forum joke) :roll:

Nothing much to write home about. I STILL Luv my Z4, even though ive only done less than 4k in 12 months.
My roof motors gone (again). Second one. Not in a rush to fix it yet but interested to look around and hear of any places anyone might recommend in Herts/Beds/Essex/N London.

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ ... c0bv52.jpg[/IMG]
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm down that way now.. In Chelmsford. Can sort it in the morning for you, without you buying a new motor.

E-mail me at [email protected]

Mike

ESP

Post by ESP » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 pm I'm down that way now.. In Chelmsford. Can sort it in the morning for you, without you buying a new motor.

Mike
I am off to the football tomorrow, but id be very interested in anything you can do. I haven't looked but i am guessing my motors corroded to buggery and will need replacing. They don't even cost that much but id be interested in someone else fitting.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 pm

ESP wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:16 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 pm I'm down that way now.. In Chelmsford. Can sort it in the morning for you, without you buying a new motor.

Mike
I am off to the football tomorrow, but id be very interested in anything you can do. I haven't looked but i am guessing my motors corroded to buggery and will need replacing. They don't even cost that much but id be interested in someone else fitting.
Have pm'd you my number. Give me a call anytime.

Mike

ESP

Post by ESP » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Have you done many before and is there any previous posts on here regarding your roof motor jobs?
I am very interested in you either ron'ing my roof motor, or replacing the broken motor.
I totally get why it might be relocated, but given the option it think i would rather stick with it where it is but the housing being modified, even if it means it could fail again for the same water ingestion reasons, but id be ok with that.

Theres pro's and cons to both so not sure :scratchhead:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Yes, I've done about 40...

Have a look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94565

Mike

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 pm

ESP wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 pm :o How random! My profile says my last post was 21st of April 2016, apologies Z4 family.
I just thought id have a browse around, Check out some photography, stuff for sale, see if anyones sad enough to bothered to turbo a 2lt lol (old forum joke) :roll:
Welcome back (I guess)! :wink:

I've read a few old posts. Think I got your 'old forum' joke :lol:

Shame about the motor, why not get Mike to relocate? Save you forking out for another one down the line? :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:23 am

ESP wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm Have you done many before and is there any previous posts on here regarding your roof motor jobs?
I am very interested in you either ron'ing my roof motor, or replacing the broken motor.
I totally get why it might be relocated, but given the option it think i would rather stick with it where it is but the housing being modified, even if it means it could fail again for the same water ingestion reasons, but id be ok with that.

If you want it repairing and sticking back in the original position, then that's a roof out job, circa £5-700 depending on where you go. BUT it WILL go again as there is no modification that can make the housing 100% watertight due to the fact that the hydraulic hoses, power and bowden cable have to pass through into the pump. I have done many where the motor has been replaced by bmw, some as recently as a three months prior, and whilst still working, EVERY one has shown signs of corrosion due to the fact that the sponge wrapping will never dry out in our climate once wet.

Relocating the motor means it's accessible in seconds and will never get wet again, surely a plus point for you and any future owner?

It takes up zero usable boot space and is hidden behind a removable trim panel.

Even if your motor has failed, I will get it working again, saving the cost of a new one.

I'm in Chelmsford until about 2pm tomorrow if you want me to have a look, I have my tools in the boot as I am doing almost 800 miles this weekend, so threw everything barr the kitchen sink in there. I can get it back working for you in about an hour, and you won't be needing another replacement in a couple of years like you will if it's in the original location.

Seriously, the relocation is a no brainer.

Mike

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:16 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:23 am
ESP wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm Have you done many before and is there any previous posts on here regarding your roof motor jobs?

If you want it repairing and sticking back in the original position, then that's a roof out job, circa £5-700 depending on where you go. BUT it WILL go again as there is no modification that can make the housing 100% watertight due to the fact that the hydraulic hoses, power and bowden cable have to pass through into the pump. I have done many where the motor has been replaced by bmw, some as recently as a three months prior, and whilst still working, EVERY one has shown signs of corrosion due to the fact that the sponge wrapping will never dry out in our climate once wet.

Relocating the motor means it's accessible in seconds and will never get wet again, surely a plus point for you and any future owner?

It takes up zero usable boot space and is hidden behind a removable trim panel.

Even if your motor has failed, I will get it working again, saving the cost of a new one.

I'm in Chelmsford until about 2pm tomorrow if you want me to have a look, I have my tools in the boot as I am doing almost 800 miles this weekend, so threw everything barr the kitchen sink in there. I can get it back working for you in about an hour, and you won't be needing another replacement in a couple of years like you will if it's in the original location.

Seriously, the relocation is a no brainer.

Mike
You should listen to Mike and have him relocate it. Only a fool would put it back in a bucket full of water.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:23 am

Sgr74 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:16 am
You should listen to Mike and have him relocate it. Only a fool would put it back in a bucket full of water.

This...

Mike

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 am

When mine went on my last car I had a new one installed by my indy, cost £700 from memory. If the one in my current car ever goes then I'm going to ask someone on here - probably Mike as he's closest - to relocate it for me. It's a no-brainer.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 am

I'm getting mine done with DLV once I get paid! Do it mate, you won't regret it!
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 am

Bing wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 am When mine went on my last car I had a new one installed by my indy, cost £700 from memory. If the one in my current car ever goes then I'm going to ask someone on here - probably Mike as he's closest - to relocate it for me. It's a no-brainer.
Same here - first one went, had it replaced in the same place by a BMW indy, cost around £700 +VAT. Two years later I had it relocated to the boot. No problems with usage and takes up a small space in the back side-well area of the boot. Mine is now behind a panel and has some padding around it (old memory foam) which means it's even quieter than before. As others have said, it really is a no-brainer and where BMW should have located it originally.
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

davros

Post by davros » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:40 am

Hi Mike, how long are you staying down in Chelmsford? My roof motor works but like many others, I'm paranoid about it failing and cross my fingers every time I press the button to open it.
I live in Benfleet which is about 30 minutes drive from Chelmsford and I can always pop over and meet you where you are staying.
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:48 am

1st off, how old is the motor, if it's less than a couple of years, I would take it back to where you had it done (if they fitted a new one) and see what they say.
Mike has done loads of them and does plenty of other bits for our cars and while he's in the area, I would get it done. Your other option is Bowser, a forum member who lives near Bracknell, he's a BMW trained tech who has also done loads (did mine) and would be nearer for you if Mike doesn't do it.
Speaking bluntly, you are a fool if you just get another fitted in the existing position and must like throwing money away.
The boot option is so neat and you won't even notice it's there, honest, here you go
[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/f ... 1ojcrx.jpg[/IMG]
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981