Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Orange Engine Management Light : Fuel Related?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:53 am

Hi Everyone,

The Engine Management suddenly light came on last week, so i promptly took it to my local garage as i dont have a reader myself. He checked the code and concluded it had emission issues, and asked if the car had been losing power, I told him it still drove really well (it is a 2.5) and i hadnt noticed any differences. So he suggested maybe I should change to using better branded fuel as opposed to supermarket pumps, which i have been guilty of, as they tend to be not as pure and the Zed can be abit of a diva when it detects the cheaper stuff.

Anyway he put some cleaner in the tank and i put in £20 worth of Shell Regular to mix it all up and hoped it would dilute the supermarket fuel.

Unfortunately I was driving the Zed for about an hour or so and the light popped up again, called the mechanic up and he said to carry on driving and use up all the fuel in the tank and then put in some decent fuel and see if the light would go off, otherwise bring it in and he would take another look at it to see if it could be another issue.

So just wanted to ask if anyone has had similar experiences for reassurance really, as i dont really want to carry on driving the car if it might damage it further, and also is the 'Regular' Unleaded at the likes of Shell, Esso, and BP good enough or should i spend alittle more and go for the Unleaded 'Premium'?

Thanks for any advice.
2004 E85 Stirling Grey 2.5L.
Very much original spec apart from roof motor relocation and non run flats.
Not too mechanical savvy so just enjoying the experience.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 am

'Emission issues' - that could be anything, stump up for your own reader and get some meaningful codes that we can look at. Could be fuel quality but equally it could be many other things.
For such a vague diagnosis I'd not be throwing any more money his way.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:56 am

All UK fuel should be fine in any non-///M Zed, some will be better for long-term maintenance but UK fuels are of a higher grade than a lot available in other markets and the engine is designed to adjust accordingly. Fuel quality shouldn't really throw an emissions light unless there is a component that's a bit marginal.

An emissions light could be anything from a inexpensive split inlet pipe, to a sensor, fuelling, or even the cat'. The important thing is to get the codes and start with the simple (cheaper) checks and fixes first. If you post the codes and your engine year/spec (M54 2.5 or N52 2.5 facelift with the 2.5 i or Si) and I'm sure someone will come up with some suggestions.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Run it on V Power for a few tanks and see what happens OP, I know for sure some cars don't like cheap 95 fuel it has caused the engine lights in some cases :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Fox889

Post by Fox889 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm

I don't think the yellow light will go out without being reset? I may be wrong.
First question is, have you changed the air filter or had/done any servicing?
When I got my 3.0 I changed all oils & filters then found the yellow light came on after a 30 mile run, turned out to be a slight split in the air pipe from the air cleaner to EGR valve, simply changing the air filter had jolted the the pipe which was brittle.
If the above isn't the case, find a decent indy drop him a tenner to read the codes properly [think mine came up as 'lean bank 1 lean bank 2'] then come back on here with your codes.

Hope this helps.

Which fuel [apart from supermarket] debate will go on for pages & pages & pages! :rofl:
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic

rapidroy

Post by rapidroy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 am

on my 2003 z4 2.5i in December 2016 the light popped on, i resealed the gas cap and that was it. I have a cheap code reader and reset the code. but also started to use only shell vpower gas. no light in over 4000 miles.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 am

From one experience I had it's been related to not closing the fuel cap properly.

Make sure it's properly closed and give it an extra few clicks (click, release, and hold till click, and repeat as many times as you see fit! )

Also my management light has gone off again (by itself) after starting the car up 3 or maybe 4 times (after fault causing event)? Obviously I've driven in that time as well. So possibly actually driving might have helped reset. It will stay stored in the system so readers can recover any fault codes for diagnosing...
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71