Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Confused

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
DaveZ4richardson

Confused

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Amber warning lights as in the pics came on Saturday, missed the Scottish run on Sunday as didn't want to risk doing more damage. Took car to independent tonight for diagnostics, got in car turned ignition and warning lights gone. Took car for diagnostics anyway, nothing. Took it for a run to see if it would come back on, again nothing. Reversed car into garage over small lip between garage floor and drive and hey presto the lights reappear? Any suggestions anyone?
Attachments
Screenshot_20170422-153316.png
Screenshot_20170422-153316.png (434.25 KiB) Viewed 752 times
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.

Rusky

Confused

Post by Rusky » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 pm

hmmm possibly abs sensor i think :wink:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

MJJamieson

Confused

Post by MJJamieson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Should still hold a trouble code, mine was the pressure sensor, was intermittent but held the code.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

Artful-Bodger

Confused

Post by Artful-Bodger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 pm

I had this problem on my E90 last year, was a bit of a head scratcher as no fault codes were being logged.

If it's intermittent and no code is showing, and it's the wheelslip light that comes on it's likely to be the reluctor wheels on the drive shafts, where the driveshaft fits into the hub there is an ABS sensor that reads the gaps in the reluctor wheel, these are on the end of the driveshaft and look like a slotted ring.

To check if it is
Remove the wheels, take the sensor out , it's only held by a bolt, and rotate the hub whilst shining a torch down the sensor hole, if you see any shiny bits on the reluctor wheel this means there is corrosion built up under it and its pushing the reluctor out closing the air gap to the sensor, a temporary fix is to put a 1mm thick washer under the sensor flange where the bolt holds it, spacing the sensor out for now, you should then be ok to drive until you purchase a new pair of reluctor wheels, they are roughly £20 each, and easy to replace.

There are other culprits but this is the most common on E46/90 BMW's and easy to check so might as well start there.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools - Colin Chapman

DaveZ4richardson

Confused

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:19 pm

DaveZ4richardson wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 pm Amber warning lights as in the pics came on Saturday, missed the Scottish run on Sunday as didn't want to risk doing more damage. Took car to independent tonight for diagnostics, got in car turned ignition and warning lights gone. Took car for diagnostics anyway, nothing. Took it for a run to see if it would come back on, again nothing. Reversed car into garage over small lip between garage floor and drive and hey presto the lights reappear? Any suggestions anyone?
Maybe I should have mentioned that the lights reappeared when the front wheels came over the slight lip into the garage so it's definitely from the front wheels. Going to take the abs sensors off at weekend and clean the contacts. See if that solves the headache!!

DaveZ4richardson

Confused

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Mon May 01, 2017 6:14 pm

UPDATE: Bought myself a diagnostics tool, Amber lights were telling me abs pressure sensors. Cleared the faults a d driven car all weekend and over 600 miles. No faults, I have been told that the car sitting in the garage all week will not help it, so it's looking like once or twice a week I will be using my Zed to travel to and from work. What a chore eh......

csquire4

Confused

Post by csquire4 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:27 pm

this is the part you need if it comes back (I suspect it will).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-NEW-B ... 3d294df0e4

When mine had this problem the lights would come back if I did an emergency stop.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

DaveZ4richardson

Confused

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Mon May 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Cheers CS. Strangely enough I have one on order. Can you tell me if both the sensors are the same ??