Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspension freshen up

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
PboroRyan

Suspension freshen up

Post by PboroRyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:24 am

Hi folks,
Getting some bits together to freshen up the suspension on my 04 3.0. It's already had new powerflex front wishbone rear bushes, new front track rod ends and new springs. I'm going to fit new drop links (front and rear) and new anti roll bar polybushes (front and rear). Short of new struts, are there any other bits that I may as well replace while I'm at it?

Crabbo

Suspension freshen up

Post by Crabbo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 pm

I did powerflex rear trailing arm bushes the rear of the car feels loads better. The ones that came out were fairly worn at 53k

PboroRyan

Suspension freshen up

Post by PboroRyan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Crabbo wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:45 pm I did powerflex rear trailing arm bushes the rear of the car feels loads better. The ones that came out were fairly worn at 53k
Thanks for the suggestion - are they very difficult to fit or easily doable for the home mechanic? i've done droplinks, ARB bushes, struts, lollipop bushes etc myself but the trailing arm bushes look a little more involved?

Steve84N

Suspension freshen up

Post by Steve84N » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 pm

They are.

You need some sort of press, specific home brew versions are sold on eBay. Getting to them isn't that bad though.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Crabbo

Suspension freshen up

Post by Crabbo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:58 am

As above, I bought an e46 bush puller off ebay for 30 quid,jack car up remove a few bits of plastic (I had sill off as well to make it easier) remove flexi mount to take pressure off the brake line while the arm dangles, wrestle the old bush out fire the new one in. You will piss it if your done lollipops. It does make a big difference as far as I can tell

PboroRyan

Suspension freshen up

Post by PboroRyan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Crabbo wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:58 am As above, I bought an e46 bush puller off ebay for 30 quid,jack car up remove a few bits of plastic (I had sill off as well to make it easier) remove flexi mount to take pressure off the brake line while the arm dangles, wrestle the old bush out fire the new one in. You will piss it if your done lollipops. It does make a big difference as far as I can tell
No worries, thanks for the advice! Lollipops were a bastard, one side took six hours but the other took about 20 minutes so I'm sure RTABs will be the same! Loads of tutorials though so I'll give it a go while I'm at it :thumbsup: