Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Eisenmann or SuperSprint or Bastuck or ... ? Need exhaust advice!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 am

Hi guys,

As you know, I'm once again the (very) proud owner of a Zed, this time a 3.0Si QP. I'm now looking for a sports exhaust but dunno what to choose. I'm looking for something that is sort of loud in high revs but not in low revs and obviously without a drone during long cruises... So I'm turning to the forum for your experiences: what exhaust set-up do you have and/or would you recommend? Eisenmann and SuperSprint seems to be the "obvious choice" but quite expensive as well. Price is not really that big of an issue, but at the same time I don't want to spend too much money on a brand name either... :roll:

Oh and before you start saying "get a custom exhaust": in Belgium we can only mount MOT pre-approved exhausts with a special MOT certificate, otherwise it's an MOT fail, regardless how good or bad the exhaust actually is. I know that is very different from other countries, but that's how it is. :x

Anyway, curious to hear your comments :)

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:22 am

I would go for a super sprint :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:34 am

I was trying to work out was a 3.0Si QP was - and was trying to think of any colours with the initials 'QP'...Quince Pearl, Quite Pink, etc.

I now realise it's probably a 'foreign' shortcut for COUPE :P

Anyway, anything that has TÜV approval should be fine (even in Belgium), so (assuming they do an exhaust for your car) Supersprint, Sebring, Remus, Scorpion, etc.

Alternatively, get the current system gutted, or remove/replace the cats.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

donaldosaurus

Post by donaldosaurus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am

I have a Eisenmann quad back box and it sounds nice. I have made mistakes before with TVRs etc and needed earplugs and a helmet in my Morgan Three Wheeler (2012 5sp) .
Drone is the enemy and a spirited sound on revving is what most people seem to want. I enjoy a little popping on the overrun.
On a motorway mine is not intrusive at all.
The Z with the extra button

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for the advice so far!

I forgot about Sebring, Remus and Scorpion. These are indeed also well-known brands in Belgium. But it seems to be hard to find prices online. It's also unclear whether these exhausts can be fit easily or do they still require some welding?

So far, I seem to be slightly in favour of the SuperSprint. From what I hear on youtube, it sounds quite nice (I know it is not always representative). I have the feeling that the SS exhaust has an overall higher sound note whereas the Eisenmann seems to have an overall lower sound note ? Price-wise they seem to be somewhat the same but I quite like sport exhausts with a higher note instead of a lower note (personal preference).

I would love to get quads again, but I'd like to keep the car as original as possible (except for the exhaust), as these car may start to increase in value. So cutting the bumper puts me of a bit (but I did cut it on my previous Zed tho).

q-man

Post by q-man » Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Need to add one more option. I bought Ulter sport silencer. It was bit of experiment, but I am very pleased with result. They are polish small company. I bought through ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/201771289747?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT, but they have webshop also. Also price was very good.

Sound is bit deeper, bit raspier and without drone. Actually at first drone was there, but after maybe 100km sound and drone settled. Exhaust tips are great and finish is good. Silencer aint stainless, but my z4 is just summer car. I wanted just bit more sound, not a ricer can. Sometimes relatively cheap product might turn out good choise.

Has anyone same experiences about silencers, that sound is lower after first miles running in. Have seen that in few car exhaust and also bike cans.
-09 30i

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:48 pm

donaldosaurus wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 am I have a Eisenmann quad back box and it sounds nice. I have made mistakes before with TVRs etc and needed earplugs and a helmet in my Morgan Three Wheeler (2012 5sp) .
Drone is the enemy and a spirited sound on revving is what most people seem to want. I enjoy a little popping on the overrun.
On a motorway mine is not intrusive at all.
Eisenman are nice sounding exhausts,and your car looks nice with the aero kit,Donald :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu May 04, 2017 7:13 am

I have asked around for prices and the Eisenmann is actually quite affordable. So I'm probably going with that. :-)

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:24 pm

So I ended up installing an Eisenmann catback system and thought you guys might like to hear it :D

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:17 pm

This is what a Supersprint Race axle-back exhaust sounds like:

https://instagram.com/p/Bgd8IALFRQ1/
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

wspohn

Post by wspohn » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:29 am

I use RPI - bit loud until they break in but nice after that.
Vancouver BC, Canada
2007 Z4MC
2009 Solstice GXP coupe
1962 MGA Coupe
1956 MGA (rebody+re-engined)
1958 MGA Twin Cam race car
1972 Jensen Interceptor

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Some more sounds of the Supersprint Race axle-back exhaust!

https://youtu.be/VACHoMbGaoE
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

devilishdoc

Post by devilishdoc » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:25 am

Morning All,

Haven't posted on here in a while but always like to check back from time to time for great advice and information for the car. I'm looking to change the exhaust on my pretty standard 56 plate 3.0 Si Sport. Narrowed it down to the Eisenmann Race thanks in no small part to the information posted in this forum. A couple of questions if anyone can help;

1/ I notice their are two exhausts for the 3.0si (N52) on the Eisenmann site, one with standard bumper and one with aerodynamic valance. I'm presuming I'm standard as I haven't done anything to the car back there but out of interest what is the valance option?
2/ It looks from the picture like it is just the back box and not a cat back system, is that correct?
3/ Is there/has there been any kind of discount for forum members? Worth asking you never know.

Thanks in advance for any help

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 am

Actually I just installed the Eisenmann (non-race version) and simply had the mid-muffler deleted and replaced with stainless steel pipes. So it's a catback as well, but probably a bit cheaper. In Belgium not an MOT fail as well btw. The standard Eisenmann with mid-muffler wasn't a big difference with the standard exhaust. I couldn't get the race-version of the Eisenmann as that would be an MOT fail over here (very strict regulation in Belgium unfortunately).

Depends on what sound you want. The Eisenmann without mid-muffler is (rather) loud at higher revs but no drone at low revs. Nice grunt on revs in sport mode as well, but pretty civilised when not in sport mode and driving normal. Best exhaust I ever had to be honest (and I had a few Zeds with different set-ups in the past).

devilishdoc

Post by devilishdoc » Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I think I'm going to plump for the race, it doesn't do a lot of miles anyhow.