Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Look what my son did to my new Z4

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Thu May 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Awful situation to have been in- but I'd buy that back from the insurance company and fix it- it's ur p&j and also fixing it would potentially feel like you taking away some of the hurt caused. Good luck.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Thu May 11, 2017 10:46 pm

bulmor wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 pm
Crazy Harry wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 am Mike (DLV) had asked £75 per front wing yesterday - I still say that a DIY fix may be less than the excess and increased premiums. Unlike a traffic accident you know the car is 'straight' with no damage to running gear and you know (and love) its history. Bit of a project but you'll love it even more and plenty of people to offer advise and I would guess help. Good luck
Thanks. Will see what they come back with, you never know they may say they will fix it. If not, I'll have a look the price difference between them and I keeping the old one. I have protected NCB, so am hoping it won't effect me too much (though maybe that is a little hopeful)

Thanks again
Hi just thought I'd add, we bought a car back from insurance company before. Well actually it's more like the insurance company paid us. Let me explain: the car was like most Zed pre facelifts over a decade old. This means that it's uneconomical to repair. Regardless of now bad the damage is, if it needs a new bumper/panel then it will also need a reapray... so write off.

Most can be repaired very easily, especially in your case where mechanical damage is non existent? Or negligible at least.

You can tell them you want to keep the car and they will give you additional money on top. So for example if they value the car at £4k then maybe they'll value it at £1k writeoff. So you'll get the car back plus £3k. Obviously this is very much simplified but they should be able to do something like that for you.

I'd buy it back and fix. If you're not up to the challenge I'm sure many other people would be and maybe you can even make a small profit. Something worth considering?

Again, all the best...

Kis
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

elevensies

Post by elevensies » Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 am

sad days, sorry to hear :thumbsdown:

im lost for words, but chin up though, in this instance at least no one was hurt.
support our paras
"Utrinque Paratus"
https://www.justgiving.com/paracharity

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am

bulmor wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 pm
Crazy Harry wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 am Mike (DLV) had asked £75 per front wing yesterday - I still say that a DIY fix may be less than the excess and increased premiums. Unlike a traffic accident you know the car is 'straight' with no damage to running gear and you know (and love) its history. Bit of a project but you'll love it even more and plenty of people to offer advise and I would guess help. Good luck
Thanks. Will see what they come back with, you never know they may say they will fix it. If not, I'll have a look the price difference between them and I keeping the old one. I have protected NCB, so am hoping it won't effect me too much (though maybe that is a little hopeful)

Thanks again
protected NCB is a scam IMO. I don't know why they get away with selling it.

when your buying insurance your asked have you ever had to claim. as soon as you tick yes - premium increased. then they ask who was at fault - not you so your okay there. next question is did your insurance company recover all costs which would be a no unless they take your son to court and get him to pay them - boom insurance increases further as your company had to pay out.

so it doesn't matter that you get to keep your NCB. as soon as you put that info in your premium will go to roughly the same level as without any NCB.

IMO it is just a way for insurance companies to charge those that never claim more money. they don't lose money out of it. it's why it's a thing.

also i had a claim where a lorry reversed into me. he was 100% at fault. i never had to pay any excess and they recovered all costs from his insurance. i also got to keep my NCB (i didn't insure it). like i say it's pretty much a scam IMO. my premium increased as i had a claim, but i changed jobs so my mileage went from 10K a year to 2K a year. so my premium dropped to a 1/3rd of the cheapest i was being quoted at my old mileage.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am

SonnyA85 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am so it doesn't matter that you get to keep your NCB. as soon as you put that info in your premium will go to roughly the same level as without any NCB.
Try using a comparison site to see what the difference between putting in a £13k accident claim with 0 NCB vs max NCB.

In my case it was the difference between paying £5k and £1k.

Old premium (0% NCB)
  • £3000
Old premium (70% NCB)
  • £900
New premium, after £13k fault claim, plus extra insurance tax for government (0% NCB)
  • £5000
New premium, after £13k fault claim, plus extra insurance tax for government (50% NCB after loss of 2 years NCB for a claim)
  • £2500
New premium, after £13k fault claim, plus extra insurance tax for government (70% protected NCB)
  • £1500
These are only examples as mine went down due to reducing the Z4 mileage and buying the Alfa as a daily.

But it shows that in most case you'd still end up paying more due to having a higher base premium (for the increased risk), plus adding in the governments latest hike in insurance tax, before taking into account the same NCB. If you'd not had protected/guaranteed NCB then you'd be 10-30% worse off.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm

kis wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:46 pm Hi just thought I'd add, we bought a car back from insurance company before. Well actually it's more like the insurance company paid us. Let me explain: the car was like most Zed pre facelifts over a decade old. This means that it's uneconomical to repair. Regardless of now bad the damage is, if it needs a new bumper/panel then it will also need a reapray... so write off.

Most can be repaired very easily, especially in your case where mechanical damage is non existent? Or negligible at least.

You can tell them you want to keep the car and they will give you additional money on top. So for example if they value the car at £4k then maybe they'll value it at £1k writeoff. So you'll get the car back plus £3k. Obviously this is very much simplified but they should be able to do something like that for you.

I'd buy it back and fix. If you're not up to the challenge I'm sure many other people would be and maybe you can even make a small profit. Something worth considering?

Again, all the best...

Kis
Thanks for info. Had a chat with my brother in law tonight, who used to do vehicle repairs as his job in an earlier life. I am not really mechanically minded, however it was just replacement panels from scrappies and bolts I would probably give it a go. He suggested that though some are bolted others (such as rear side panels) are normally welded, so getting new ones put on properly, plus all others replaced, then a re-spray to get everything matching up, plus getting replacement rear window in rooftop and windscreen would most probably add up to much of the money that they give me, that's not including replacement lights and side windows.

Am figuring if they offer me old car for somewhere near £500, totally worth it, even if I strip it down and sell as spares, once gets over £1k, could probably make money from stripping, but probably not worth rebuilding financially. :(

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Fri May 12, 2017 11:39 pm

elevensies wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 am sad days, sorry to hear :thumbsdown:

im lost for words, but chin up though, in this instance at least no one was hurt.
Thanks elevensies, your totally right. At the time I was devastated, however am starting to be more reflective i.e. all people ok

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Fri May 12, 2017 11:45 pm

mmm-five wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am
SonnyA85 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 am so it doesn't matter that you get to keep your NCB. as soon as you put that info in your premium will go to roughly the same level as without any NCB.
Try using a comparison site to see what the difference between putting in a £13k accident claim with 0 NCB vs max NCB.

In my case it was the difference between paying £5k and £1k.

Old premium (0% NCB)
  • £3000
Old premium (70% NCB)
  • £900
New premium, after £13k fault claim, plus extra insurance tax for government (0% NCB)
  • £5000
New premium, after £13k fault claim, plus extra insurance tax for government (50% NCB after loss of 2 years NCB for a claim)
  • £2500
New premium, after £13k fault claim, plus extra insurance tax for government (70% protected NCB)
  • £1500
These are only examples as mine went down due to reducing the Z4 mileage and buying the Alfa as a daily.

But it shows that in most case you'd still end up paying more due to having a higher base premium (for the increased risk), plus adding in the governments latest hike in insurance tax, before taking into account the same NCB. If you'd not had protected/guaranteed NCB then you'd be 10-30% worse off.
Yeah, am with Tesco Insurance. Got to admit, its feel like I am getting a little screwed; they have told me should it be written off, I have one month to get a replacement vehicle. If I choose not to and the policy is cancelled, the entire year's premium is payable as I have made a claim. However, if I had not made a claim, I could cancel anytime, would only be charged for the period of cover I had, plus a cancellation charge. I pointed out, that I pay insurance so I am covered for the period the cover is for, therefore even if I do not get another car in time and the policy cancels, surely I am 'still' only having cover for a shorter period and so, surely should be able to do the same with cancellation charge. I totally get that they are trying to recoup losses, but seems a bit wrong that by claiming while I am covered I am then also liable for the rest of the insurance for period that I no longer need also.

But there is no changing it. Will just go back to NFU; higher premiums per annum, but no hidden costs, no charges for policy changes etc and genuinely compassionate service. Lesson learnt, plus makes me feel slightly better that at least that protected ncb saves me a bit

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:03 am

[quote=

But there is no changing it. Will just go back to NFU; higher premiums per annum, but no hidden costs, no charges for policy changes etc and genuinely compassionate service. Lesson learnt, plus makes me feel slightly better that at least that protected ncb saves me a bit
[/quote]

Terrible situation to be in OP.

But going back to NFU may not be a solution, especially with an outstanding claim!

Once upon a time when protected NCB was what it said on the tin that may have been true, but now we live in the world of never-never-land using "offshore" call-centres where English is at best a 2nd language, protected NCB is about as useful as a chocolate tea-pot!

They just load the premium instead, because we all have protected NCB now!

But I really hope you get things sorted satisfactorily. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 am

Photos left me completely speechless, that's a really tough gig to deal with.

Just a thought: if you do elect to buy the car back maybe your son's penance could be to get involved somehow (with court supervision) in making right the damage?

Having a project your son has to be involved with would help teach him a vital life lesson in understanding that he will be held accountable for his actions.

Involving him could also help in going a long long way to repair the current rift between you and him whilst giving him a focus and sense of purpose - and even maybe provide him a step in the right direction away from his addictions?

I wish you the best of luck.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Sat May 13, 2017 12:20 am

Sky-drive wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 am Photos left me completely speechless, that's a really tough gig to deal with.

Just a thought: if you do elect to buy the car back maybe your son's penance could be to get involved somehow (with court supervision) in making right the damage?

Having a project your son has to be involved with would help teach him a vital life lesson in understanding that he will be held accountable for his actions.

Involving him could also help in going a long long way to repair the current rift between you and him whilst giving him a focus and sense of purpose - and even maybe provide him a step in the right direction away from his addictions?

I wish you the best of luck.
I think in time, something like that could be a really good idea. Right now however, there has been a fair amount of bad experience under the bridge, with this being the proverbial icing on the cake (not in a good way).

For the time being, though I hate to admit it when I am talking about my son, but for now we don't really want him here. No doubt that will change in time, but there has been a great deal of help offered and, a great deal of sand in the face returned.

I think time needs to be the healer on this one. But hopefully at some point, something like this could be a good move, so thanks for the suggestion.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 am

bulmor wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:20 am
I think in time, something like that could be a really good idea. Right now however, there has been a fair amount of bad experience under the bridge, with this being the proverbial icing on the cake (not in a good way).

For the time being, though I hate to admit it when I am talking about my son, but for now we don't really want him here. No doubt that will change in time, but there has been a great deal of help offered and, a great deal of sand in the face returned.

I think time needs to be the healer on this one. But hopefully at some point, something like this could be a good move, so thanks for the suggestion.
Some potentially useful posts, but at the end of the day I just hope everything (in the widest sense) works out well in the end OP. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

bulmor

Post by bulmor » Sat May 13, 2017 12:50 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 am
Some potentially useful posts, but at the end of the day I just hope everything (in the widest sense) works out well in the end OP. :thumbsup:
Thanks mate, much appreciated.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:30 am

bulmor wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm
Thanks for info. Had a chat with my brother in law tonight, who used to do vehicle repairs as his job in an earlier life. I am not really mechanically minded, however it was just replacement panels from scrappies and bolts I would probably give it a go. He suggested that though some are bolted others (such as rear side panels) are normally welded, so getting new ones put on properly, plus all others replaced, then a re-spray to get everything matching up, plus getting replacement rear window in rooftop and windscreen would most probably add up to much of the money that they give me, that's not including replacement lights and side windows.

Am figuring if they offer me old car for somewhere near £500, totally worth it, even if I strip it down and sell as spares, once gets over £1k, could probably make money from stripping, but probably not worth rebuilding financially. :(
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all the panels were bolted on the Z4, not welded? There's even a recent thread on removing one of the rear side panels that involves removing a bit of the roof to get to one of the bolts.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

bluespit

Post by bluespit » Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am

just a thought but if they let you buy it back there may be someone on here who would buy it off you if you felt repairing or stripping it was beyond your capability.

there must be at leat £1200 of usable parts in the car
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!