Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2xcite headlights cost

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ant

2xcite headlights cost

Post by Ant » Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 am

williamdefender wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 6:51 pm ok guys I've listened . Ive went ahead and ordered the black . Looking forward to getting them fitted , thanks
do me a favour and let me know if any of the headlight lugs are accessible when you're fitting them without taking the bumper off, have a feeling one of mines snapped/cracked so might replace it but really not worth the hassle of a bumper off to do it anytime soon

williamdefender

2xcite headlights cost

Post by williamdefender » Mon May 15, 2017 4:49 pm

The bit worrying me is the bumper lugs at each side . Im not sure what you mean Ant regarding looking for lugs without taking the bumper off . Surely if you've the bumper still on then you can have a look , will take a few picts to see if this helps .

williamdefender

2xcite headlights cost

Post by williamdefender » Mon May 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Thought i would get the bumper off tonight while waiting on delivery . Must say it went well with no bits of plastic flying off around the garage . Only took about twenty mins and the side bumper clips seemed to have come away without any damage . Now I've a question . I noticed a strange cup like thing with wires going into it below the passenger horn .
bmw3.jpg
bmw3.jpg (104.07 KiB) Viewed 873 times
bmw2.jpg
bmw2.jpg (190.69 KiB) Viewed 873 times
bmw1.jpg
bmw1.jpg (162.9 KiB) Viewed 873 times
top picture is from below and bottom pict is from above
Attachments
bmw2.jpg
bmw2.jpg (190.69 KiB) Viewed 873 times

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

2xcite headlights cost

Post by enzed4 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Looks like temperature sensor, part no. 65816936953
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

NathanZ4C

2xcite headlights cost

Post by NathanZ4C » Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 am

Some words of advise. I've not long removed mine after about 2.5 years of them being on the car as I'd had enough of them.

1. Be careful where you put the main plug/connector. It's susceptible to water ingress and then turns all the pins green. I tried to clean mine up after poor connections (the lights kept going on and off) and the pins pretty much snapped. I ended up rewiring most of mine directly into the car.
2. If you add led side light bulbs then buy good ones. You can't get them out again without taking the bumper off and cheaper ones are likely to blow or start to flicker which is annoying. Especially when it will take in excess of an hour to change a bulb.
3. Each time you wash the car wax the lenses. The coating on mine started to flake off. If you can get anything with uv protection in it that might be best.
4. Do what ever you can to seal them as good as possible. They don't seal well, well at least mine didn't and often misted up. In the end I put a silica gel packets in the back of mine to draw any moister out but it always worried me they would get hot and set fire :/

I agree they look great and maybe I had a poor batch. But you need to look after them a bit more than the bm ones. I've gone back to standard

williamdefender

2xcite headlights cost

Post by williamdefender » Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Thats concerning but I'm in to far now and I'm pushing on with the install . I would imagine that i won't have the car in two years and it rarely sees the light of day so hopefully i don't get the problems you've had .
I am seeking some guidance around how everyone has installed the wires though . My understanding is there is a pair of loose wires for each angel eye and a pair of loose wires for the top light . I don't see the need for the top light so thinking i should leave it unconnected . Anyone wish to share how they wired the angel eyes , di you use a relay and take power back to live or butt into existing sidelight wires .
Also what bulbs did you use to . I currently have small led type which give a nice white sidelight but main beam is the old yellow tone .

tomoz4white

2xcite headlights cost

Post by tomoz4white » Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Worth Every Penny and £1
Attachments
z4_light_comparison.jpg
z4_light_comparison.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Only UK OEM White Manual
E85 3.0i SE Still Rolling!
Mileage 36,000 Miles

4 x White 3.0i OEM UK E85's Made...
= 2 UK Pre-Facelift / 2 UK Facelift

tomoz4white

2xcite headlights cost

Post by tomoz4white » Tue May 16, 2017 8:17 pm

I got the garage to cancel out the top strips so they are redundant - they used resistors!
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

2xcite headlights cost

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

williamdefender wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm Thats concerning but I'm in to far now and I'm pushing on with the install . I would imagine that i won't have the car in two years and it rarely sees the light of day so hopefully i don't get the problems you've had .
I am seeking some guidance around how everyone has installed the wires though . My understanding is there is a pair of loose wires for each angel eye and a pair of loose wires for the top light . I don't see the need for the top light so thinking i should leave it unconnected . Anyone wish to share how they wired the angel eyes , di you use a relay and take power back to live or butt into existing sidelight wires .
Also what bulbs did you use to . I currently have small led type which give a nice white sidelight but main beam is the old yellow tone .
There are 3 pairs of wires for the angles and a pair of odd LEDs between them. I would suggest only connecting the angels, no idea what the central LEDs are for. I have a changeover relay to have the top 'eyebrow' as the parking light with Philips 4000K W5W LEDs (OSRAM are equally good) and the angels wired to the other pin to come on when the IGN is on.
If you use Philips or Osram LEDs you will need to code out the bulb check. If you use resistors then you'll not have any power savings.

How you wire them up depends on what look you want to achieve. Figure that out and I'll give you some wiring possibilities.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

williamdefender

2xcite headlights cost

Post by williamdefender » Tue May 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks Steve , I'm thinking it would be nice to have the angels come on as daytime running lights and side /mains dip all run as normal via light switch . Think my previous 08 lci 520 used to do that . I do remember having to change the bulbs in those a few times so I'm concerned that i would have to take of the bumper again as natahanz4c has commented . Can you confirm is this correct , surely sonar would have figured out that this wouldn't be the way to go . Hey Tomzo check out your motor , looks about ten years younger , super job there m8.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

2xcite headlights cost

Post by enzed4 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Think you'd only need to remove the bumper to replace the halos (which would involve pulling apart the headlights anyway).
Access to the main bulbs would be as per the normal headlights, ie, through the hatch in the wheel arch liner.

williamdefender

2xcite headlights cost

Post by williamdefender » Tue May 16, 2017 8:53 pm

The halos on my past 5 series was a glass tube which just took a bulb . It wasn't a case of replacing the ring , are you sure you're right about this enzed4 ?
Im thinking that if your adding angels to existing lights then you're fitting some sort of aftermarket led round strip but surely with a headlight that is built with halos then there must be a bulb .

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

2xcite headlights cost

Post by enzed4 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Nope - the 2excite headlights have 2 x LED rings.

tomoz4white

2xcite headlights cost

Post by tomoz4white » Tue May 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Hia Williamdefender - I was so up for drl's when I bought the sonar's but I am so glad that I got the garage to rig them without drl's and simply left it to the lights dial! The lights are not bright enough to even be considered as drl's anyway.

I occasionally switch on the side lights for the drl effect - previously I would be concerned that my back lights were on but who cares?

I think the headlights look amazing with no actual light whatsoever and I rarely drive the Zed in the dark anyway - my main aim after seeing them was to blank out the top strips and make them completely redundant - in my opinion they are worthless and make the car look at tad silly if rigged up

Tomo
Only UK OEM White Manual
Mileage 36,000 Miles

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

2xcite headlights cost

Post by enzed4 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 pm

DSC_0391.JPG