Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Pabby1980

Advice

Post by Pabby1980 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Calm down ladies....i'm sure you're both very pretty.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Advice

Post by MACK » Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 am

ESP wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:46 pm
MACK wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 pm "currently there are several different....blah...blah!" WTH. :rofl: So that's your evidence the 2.0 is a better more reliable engine. Couple this to your infantile "driveability is fun" and the fact your whole blinkered argument is based solely on your own personal experience of one particularly entry level car can only lead to one conclusion. "Some people really are so stupid they're blissfully unaware how stupid they actually are."
:? Where did i say its better?
Pretty sure i am defending its (apparent) "WELL DOCUMENTED ISSUES" with reliability.
#Looser

:? Where did i say im basing my "whole blinkered argument" on my own personal Z4
Ive got a 2008 V8 Audi R8 outside,
Ive previously owned a 997,
E90 335 coupe,
E46 M coupe,
Imported Rev 3 MR2 Turbo,
Jaguar XK,
Land Lover with a ford 3.2lt V6,
currently have a Defender with a Jaguar 4.2 i built.
Astra 1.4 (Engine replaced with 2.0lt Turbo)
MACK wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 pmSo stop crying because someone said a bad word about your car and accept reality
lol, is that your best insult? Go read you 'WELL DOCUMENTED ISSUES' your totally boring me now and clearly not qualified to discuss these matters with me 8)
Oh I see you want to play who's dick is bigger! Didn't see that coming, honest! :rofl: Is that list supposed to impress me? Even if I did believe it there's some dubious choices on there and just because you may/may not have owned something doesn't change a thing in this argument. Its like saying every Premiership footballer is the oracle of supercars. Its Pathetic and predictable but as we are playing this game as a lowly qualified vehicle engineer with a career in vehicle development I guess I'm not qualified to discuss this with you then, I'm OVER QUALIFIED! I guess I will take your advice and stick to talking to people of my own level, you know folks with suitable maturity and intellect who aren't so thin skinned and easy to upset. A word of advice, if your going to talk BS and try to brag at least be good at it and don't get caught out lying! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Change your signature Mr Audi A1 TFSI Sline!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But just so we're clear, I still don't see anything you've written that forms a credible argument for a current buyer to choose a 2.0 over a 2.2/2.5 or 3.0! If anything your ramblings just reinforce your clueless, or maybe you've got distracted from the actual point of all of this whilst curtain twitching at your imaginary R8! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll leave you to get back to playing with your imaginary toys,! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Last edited by MACK on Wed May 17, 2017 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

tomoz4white

Advice

Post by tomoz4white » Wed May 17, 2017 7:43 am

Whats this lads budget?
Only UK OEM White Manual
E85 3.0i SE Still Rolling!
Mileage 36,000 Miles

4 x White 3.0i OEM UK E85's Made...
= 2 UK Pre-Facelift / 2 UK Facelift

MT94

Advice

Post by MT94 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 am

tomoz4white wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 7:43 am Whats this lads budget?
Didn't realise me wanting a 2.0 could cause so much debate :rofl: even though it is both entertaining and nice to have people's opinion my budget is roughly £5500 to buy that way it leaves me enough for running and maintaining not to mention insuring it :thumbsdown:
Cheers.
Matt.
2004 E85 Z4 2.2i Titan Silver

Pastry

Advice

Post by Pastry » Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 am

:slappy: :popcorn: :lol:
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

tomoz4white

Advice

Post by tomoz4white » Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 am

MT94 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 am
Didn't realise me wanting a 2.0 could cause so much debate :rofl: even though it is both entertaining and nice to have people's opinion my budget is roughly £5500 to buy that way it leaves me enough for running and maintaining not to mention insuring it :thumbsdown:
Cheers.
Matt.

There is a 2.5l on autotrader with only 19,000 miles on the clock going for £5,500 - that's like a brand new car! (it is automatic though)
Only UK OEM White Manual
E85 3.0i SE Still Rolling!
Mileage 36,000 Miles

4 x White 3.0i OEM UK E85's Made...
= 2 UK Pre-Facelift / 2 UK Facelift

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Advice

Post by enzed4 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 am

Who'd have thought there'd be a subject as controversial as the eternal whippy/stubby debate?
Lucky for me I've got a 2.5 - I'm perfectly balanced right on the fence... :lol:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

MT94

Advice

Post by MT94 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:19 am

tomoz4white wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 am
Cheers.
Matt.

There is a 2.5l on autotrader with only 19,000 miles on the clock going for £5,500 - that's like a brand new car! (it is automatic though)
Even though I wouldn't mind an auto I think my insurance might have something to say about me insuring it as a 2.5 comes out well over £1000 for me and I've been driving 5 years so thought it may have come down enough but sadly not so for the sake of my wallet I have to go for the 2.0 maybe one day the insurance companies will stop trying to make me broke

MT94

Advice

Post by MT94 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:23 am

And that would be insuring it with a little black box hmm on a 2.5 I don't think so :rofl:
Feels like I'm 17 again with the prices they quote me.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Advice

Post by jamie_z4 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 am

must admit i have had countless issues with n42/n46 engined 318s from E46 era, which are the same engine, the power loss when cold is very well documented and quite scary when pulling out of junctions etc & no definate fix :(

Would tend to err on the side of caution & go with any of the M54's which (in my experience) Have been pretty darn bullet proof (cooling system aside!)
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Advice

Post by MACK » Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 am

Cheers.
Matt.
Yes sorry about that, did carry on a bit that!

Did you run a quote of the 2.2? They have the same insurance group as the 2.0 so should in theory be very similar to insure. I get the 2.2's are all pre facelift and you will probably want the clear headlights, sport seats etc of a post car, but in terms of the actual drive they are nicer, it might be worth you trying to find one of each to give a go and see what you think, some 2.2 even have the sports seats.

Fuel economy may also be an issue if your doing alot of miles as all the i6 engines whether a 2.2 or a 3.0 generally return within 1mpg of each other (the post cars with the newer engines are 2-3mpg better than the earlier cars.) Which is about 5-7 less than the 2.0 in the real world. However if insurance is the only real obstacle here it might be worth biting the bullet (I hate to say) on this as your budget would get you a nice post facelift 2.5, again might be worth trying one and comparing to a 2.0 you may decide its worth the extra premium!

An inspection is a good idea on any car if your not well up on cars etc but this is particularly true when it come to a vehicle with a major weak spot. I'm not trying to come across as hating on the 2.0 just for the fun of it but that engine is a nightmare for issues and nowhere near as nice to drive as the i6 alternatives, just go on any 3 series forum for confirmation of that. That said if there was say a £2,500 price differential between a 2.0 and a 2.5 for example I would understand folks choosing the 2.0 but right now you can pick up 2.0 and 2.5 for very similar money, certainly within your budget and the 2.2 is even cheaper in many cases. One more factor to consider is if you did go for a 2.5 over a 2.0 they come with a higher level of standard equipment from the factory and tend to have been optioned up a bit more as well.

Genuinely though, whatever you pick the E85 itself is a great little car in itself and I hope you enjoy! :thumbsup:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Usel

Advice

Post by Usel » Wed May 17, 2017 10:51 am

MT94 wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:23 am And that would be insuring it with a little black box hmm on a 2.5 I don't think so :rofl:
Feels like I'm 17 again with the prices they quote me.
How are you doing these quotes? Make sure you use actual car registrations and say you already own the car as in today's date.
Go through all the big 3 compare sites and then pick the best 3 and phone them direct. If they give you silly quotes over the phone then tell them that you have a quote from a comparison site of x amount and they may even under cut that quote.

Try prefacelift and facelift models and differing trim levels. You may find a 3 litre auto facelift SE in blue may be cheapest for example.

When buying my Passat a year ago I did quotes on the car I wanted. After viewing the car I walked away as the condition was terrible and found another car the next day. Car was exactly the same colour and engine, mileage etc but the car I found didn't have leather seats and had smaller alloys so was basically a trim level down. The insurance quote was £100 higher. Called out the company on why and they couldn't give a reason. I argued and got the price to £50 lower than the original price on the car I walked away from.

All I'm saying is don't give up. Sometimes the wind blowing a different direction can change an insurance quote!

MT94

Advice

Post by MT94 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:13 am

I have tried all the different options and get quotes of £1200 with a black box for a 2.2 vs £800 for a 2 litre without a box would have thought at 22 and 5 years driving it would start to come down by now I do get that quotes change for no reason at all same car same reg can go up by £500 from one hour to the next it's very vague.
Kinda worried about getting the 2 litre now as I need it to use everyday for getting to work :|

MerBrook

Advice

Post by MerBrook » Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi MT94, my son who is also a member on here, Billabongmac, bought his zed at a similar age to you. He purchased an E85 2.5 face lift with auto. I know this is probably over your budget but there are similarities regarding the insurance quotes etc. He found that the only way to make the insurance costs acceptable was to go for the auto model, which he didn't mind as he has a lengthy commute and suited his needs.
He also found Tesco's to be the cheapest insurer (although they don't appear to accept mods) for him and has stuck with them for the last few years now.
Finally have you included one or both of your parents in your insurance quotes as this always seems to bring the cost of the insurance down for whatever reason.

All the best with your search. :driving:
Alpina Roadster S Lux No.169, E86 Coupe Si Sport, Gone E86 Coupe Si SE

ESP

Advice

Post by ESP » Wed May 17, 2017 12:22 pm

MACK wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 am Oh I see you want to play who's dick is bigger! Didn't see that coming, honest! :rofl: Is that list supposed to impress me? Even if I did believe it there's some dubious choices on there and just because you may/may not have owned something doesn't change a thing in this argument. Its like saying every Premiership footballer is the oracle of supercars. Its Pathetic and predictable but as we are playing this game as a lowly qualified vehicle engineer with a career in vehicle development I guess I'm not qualified to discuss this with you then, I'm OVER QUALIFIED! I guess I will take your advice and stick to talking to people of my own level, you know folks with suitable maturity and intellect who aren't so thin skinned and easy to upset. A word of advice, if your going to talk BS and try to brag at least be good at it and don't get caught out lying! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Change your signature Mr Audi A1 TFSI Sline!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But just so we're clear, I still don't see anything you've written that forms a credible argument for a current buyer to choose a 2.0 over a 2.2/2.5 or 3.0! If anything your ramblings just reinforce your clueless, or maybe you've got distracted from the actual point of all of this whilst curtain twitching at your imaginary R8! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'll leave you to get back to playing with your imaginary toys,! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"imaginary toys"

:rofl:
Lol What a legend :thumbsup:

Guess i better go call the AA to fix my "unreliable" Z4, see ya
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.