Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Daily driver... In reality.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 20, 2017 1:48 pm

If you can afford a set of winter wheels and tyres and also have the space to store them, it's not a bad thing to do.
It means you can give the summer wheels a proper clean once a year whilst your winter wheels are on.
In theory, winter tyres give better grip below 7 degrees, but it depends how and where you drive.
I've done it more for peace of mind.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 pm

My daily gets winter tyres. It's not about snow and ice, it's about having reasonable grip in cold conditions (as dhobbs says below 7C) which most of us experience most of the time. I also go down a wheel size in the winter to handle potholes better. A second hand set of wheels is easy to pick up cheaply, and whilst your winters are on the summers are not wearing out and vice versa, so both sets last twice as long.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Pabby1980

Post by Pabby1980 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 pm

NickDE wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 pm My daily gets winter tyres. It's not about snow and ice, it's about having reasonable grip in cold conditions (as dhobbs says below 7C) which most of us experience most of the time. I also go down a wheel size in the winter to handle potholes better. A second hand set of wheels is easy to pick up cheaply, and whilst your winters are on the summers are not wearing out and vice versa, so both sets last twice as long.
I think i'm going to take this advice.....is there a particular type of wheel and tyre you can recommend for winter? Also an idea of what i should be spending would be a great help.

I'm in a 2005 3.0i on 108 split rims atm.

Thanks for your help. :)

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat May 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Pabby1980 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 pm
I think i'm going to take this advice.....is there a particular type of wheel and tyre you can recommend for winter?
I would look for a set of Z4 or 3 series (E46) 17" wheels off ebay. So easy direct fit onto your car, with no need for different wheel bolts etc. Go for ones that are a bit scruffy to save money (in winter your wheels are always covered in crap anyway). I always buy premium brand tyres (summer or winter) - michelin, goodyear, dunlop etc. I have a look at reviews and prices when I am buying and then choose whatever looks like a good deal at the time.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

85genius

Post by 85genius » Sat May 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Mines another with the roof motor moved to the boot - 100% worth doing that!

And I have a hardtop that goes on in winter but that's really personal preference I love the alternative look and the fact it gives 2 cars in one

Tyres get changed when they have no tread left not when it drops a few degrees, and even though some will think it's mad I'm still on runflats and happy with them
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat May 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Another daily driver here - done 35k in the last 3 years, including latterly a couple of trackdays. I've never run winters, only Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s, and latterly Michelin Pilot Supersports. I've never had cause to consider getting a set of winters. Give yourself time to acclimatise to the car - I was very precious about driving fast for most of the first year of ownership to be honest as it was my first rwd car. Don't be too put off or feel too sheepish if the TC light comes on - the limit is very low for TC intervention, so you probably only started to spin an inside rear slightly...

I can't comment on the tent/hardtop side of things, but I've seen plenty dailied round this area with soft tops still up, so seems par for the course :)

Once you feel a bit more comfortable in the car, the wet weather can actually be a nice time to learn how the car feels moving around a bit more under you - it's all part of the fun ;)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sat May 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Pabby1980 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 pm
NickDE wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 pm My daily gets winter tyres. It's not about snow and ice, it's about having reasonable grip in cold conditions (as dhobbs says below 7C) which most of us experience most of the time. I also go down a wheel size in the winter to handle potholes better. A second hand set of wheels is easy to pick up cheaply, and whilst your winters are on the summers are not wearing out and vice versa, so both sets last twice as long.
I think i'm going to take this advice.....is there a particular type of wheel and tyre you can recommend for winter? Also an idea of what i should be spending would be a great help.

I'm in a 2005 3.0i on 108 split rims atm.

Thanks for your help. :)
I can furnish you with a set of 16s if you're interested. PM me if you're interested.

Now I've upgraded to 18s I'll keep my other set of 16s for winters....it's amazing the difference winters make - as others have said, it's not just about snow and ice - lower temps and more water lying around can make for more 'fun' driving on summer tyres if you know what I mean...
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sat May 20, 2017 6:30 pm

You need at least 17s on a 3.0 to cover the brakes.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sun May 21, 2017 7:26 am

Good point Steve84N - that didn't occur to me! Thanks :-)
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

Ben-R

Post by Ben-R » Sun May 21, 2017 8:32 am

Another vote here for running winter tyres on a daily BMW. I don't have them for the Zed as that's a second car, but I have them for the 5 series. As mentioned above it's not just about snow, but cold/winter weather generally.

I have owned BMW's for a number of years now and been caught out a few times in the past in snow using summer tyres! Ironically I've had no snow to try them on since buying the winters! :lol:
E85 3.0i SE Auto
F10 530d SE Auto
MX5 mk1 (with lots of upgrades!)

Previous:
E39 528i
E36 318i

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Sun May 21, 2017 9:42 am

I had a set of yokohama winter tyres on my old e90. Below 7 degc they have more grip as the rubber remains more compliant. The fact you can drive in snow is a side show tbh.
If i ever end up with a rwd daily again i would by winter tyres.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 21, 2017 10:29 am

Winter tyres require a bit of outlay initially but the wheels should maintain their value and the tyres are a consumable anyway. Each set will last approx. twice as long as one set so no difference there. Few hundred for some wheels? It's a no-brainer for me, and cheaper than a potential claim.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

beanitos

Post by beanitos » Sun May 21, 2017 10:48 am

I'm running the M Coupe as a daily, wife has a MX5. That makes the MC the practical one of the two!

All year round, no dramas.
Attachments
tmp_7597-DSC_0042_4-1693137343.JPG
tmp_7597-DSC_0042_4-1693137343.JPG (91.75 KiB) Viewed 994 times
Z4MC | Midnight Blue | Heated Champagne Leather | Nav | CSLs | Stromung | RPI Intake | Black Grill

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon May 22, 2017 1:14 pm

groovy_hippy wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:26 am Good point Steve84N - that didn't occur to me! Thanks :-)
Not necessarily. I've got a 3.0i (prefacelift) and it runs with 16's just fine.
If you're running 3.0si (facelift) or with 330 brake upgrade then you'll need 17's.

If it were to do it again I'd get 17's as it's a better trade of with handling and performance.

No issues running summer tyres (like Michelin PS3 / PS4) all year round. You'd do this on any other car if you didn't have the space for a winter set? Stick a premium brand of tyres on and you're sorted (minus the snow bit - I wouldn't risk it!!)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Mon May 22, 2017 7:31 pm

I'd forgotten that detail, so used to having 3 litre cars with brakes that require 17s as I had a 330 before and our estate is a 330 too.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc