Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Daily driver... In reality.

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Pabby1980

Post by Pabby1980 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:46 am

I'm a complete novice with the Z4, just bought mine a few weeks ago.

LOVE the car, and after I realised I wasn't pushing the clutch down far enough to engage each gear, and after seeing the orange light in the dash reminding me "you're not that good' when I go round a roundabout too fast, I've started to wonder whether or not it can be a daily driver, and if I should get rid of my trusty Ford.

So, my question is; do I need winter tyres? Do I need a hardtop? In essence, how do you guys take this car from being an impractical sports car, to something that will do everything a Ford Fiesta will do, minus the back seats?

Which tyres can go all year?

If I need winter tyres, which ones?

Hardtop at £800...worth it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but it's a lovely place to be in the zed, and if I can work out how to be in that position as often as possible....I'll be a happy man!

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

jan_tekin

Post by jan_tekin » Sat May 20, 2017 5:16 am

Mine was my daily, had it 6/7 years and done over 80.000 miles in it. Never has a set of winters or a hard top, did have a garage though :P

It only came impractical when my family became three :D
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sat May 20, 2017 5:27 am

I have used mine as a daily for the last 4 years and around 40 k miles.
I would suggest a decent wet weather tyre
For all year round but if you want to stretch to it get a set of spare wheels with winter tyres on and use decent summer tyres.
If there is an amount of snow down get the bus or throw a sicky :D I personally will not be using mine again in the snow after ruining a set of wheels only going 10 mph and add to that a long walk home from work I have never felt the need for an hardtop and mine lives outdoors plus there is storage space required through the summer months .
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Sat May 20, 2017 6:50 am

I have used my Coupe as a daily driver for the last two and a bit years going from 44,000 to 67,000 miles with no trouble whatsoever. Alll it has needed was servicing - slightly more frequently than BMW advise - and consumables such as decent Michelin tyres. You don't need winter tyres unless you live in the wilds of Scotland although a hardtop might be nice and snug in the winter it certainly isn't essential.
I think you are over-thinking the situation. Thousands of Zed owners use their cars all year with no difficulty whatsoever, so just use it and stop worrying.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Sat May 20, 2017 6:57 am

I use mine daily. I do have a hardtop but mainly because i prefer the look. Get the roof motor moved to the boot plenty on here csn do that for a small fee. Good set of all season tyres and a good layer of wax polish and ya is all set. :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 am

Mine's a daily driver, has been for the past almost 4 years. It lives outside. I don't have a hard top. I've not bothered with winter tyres since my commute is short, but it copes OK on longer trips in the winter. Snow is amusing but not impossible.

The boot is big enough for most 'normal things' (including an electric drum kit). I've even carried a 6 ft wooden giraffe in winter (lucky it was good weather as had the top down!) ...

They make for a fine daily driver - comfortable and nippy, and great fun when you can get your toe down :-D
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

groovy_hippy

Post by groovy_hippy » Sat May 20, 2017 7:15 am

I should also mention the other half had a VX220 turbo as a daily drive for about 3 years. Makes the z look like an armchair if I'm honest....
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat May 20, 2017 8:07 am

I've used mine as a daily drive and have a set of winter wheels.
It's kept outside and doesn't have a hardtop.
BMW have designed this car to be outside and used.
Also, think of how many MX5s are out there being used as a DD! If they can do it why can't you?

It's up to you though.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sat May 20, 2017 8:12 am

I daily drive mine 20kpa with no problems. I'd rather have less grip in the Winter on Summer tyres than All Season tyres which compromise grip in warm dry conditions when you want to have fun. The only thing they really can't handle is snow and ice which we virtually never get.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Matt64

Post by Matt64 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 am

Daily here too. Just keep putting good quality fuel & oil in it. Very easy car to drive, the zed is more of a "luxury sports" or GT car IMHO.
2004 Merlot 3.0i SE. Pretty sure I'd rather drive it than polish it.
1993 Mk1 Mx5 S-LTD Home brew turbo conversion. :fuelfire:

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:53 am

520d automatic with the trusty m47 engine as the daily, z4 3.0 manual as the evening/weekend car

Economy, practicality and luxury and fun in two cars!
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat May 20, 2017 9:04 am

Another daily drive here. Winter tyres - depends on what your commute is and where you live, I'm in a town with a very short commute and so never have to deal with severe snow or ice.
I have a hard top for peace of mind in terms of security in works car park, plus I don't have a garage (I love the look too). We hire when we need more space, which is cheaper than running two cars. I have also had the roof motor relocated to the boot.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat May 20, 2017 9:17 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If its your first sports car its going to feel different to cars you've had before. Some gear boxes feel a bit notchey and the advice on here is that swapping for a weighted gear knob (and a gearbox oil change) can help - both of these are next on my to do list.

If you lit the DSC light on a roundabout well done - I did mine in the first week of ownership on a hump backed bridge. I believe its all to do with wheel speeds relative to each other - I lit the tyre pressure light on surface water driving home from collecting it - again wheel speed related due to aquaplaning.

Mine is a DD only get one set of tyres so if its white over don't drive like it isn't - just drive to the conditions. Hard tops are good if you like them - secure; warm with some will say better lines but have to be taken off to drop the soft top. I don't have one for me its about being topless on sunny (especially winter days) at the drop of a hat (roof). Get the roof motor into the boot.

Just relax and enjoy it - because in the end the ford fiesta isn't a four seat Z4 :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 am

I use (used) my Z4MC as a daily driver, at all times of the year, and have used summer tyres from day 1 (OE Conti M3, then Michelin PS2, then Michelin PSS) and have not been stuck once. However, it there's a foot of snow on the ground then I'm not silly enough to even try.

If you want an all-season tyre that's decent in the dry then it's got to be the Michelin Cross-Climate - although there's now a CrossClimate+. They're not as good in standing snow as some of their winter-tyre rivals, but they're much better in warmer/dryer conditions than those.

Otherwise a 2nd set of wheels and tyres is they way to go - but they you're left with the decision of when to put them on and take them off again :P

A month or two after I bought the car, I decided to drive around the dealers who'd serviced my car to get their 'forgotten' service stamps in the book. Very little else on the road all day, but it didn't stop me!

Arrived at the dealership about 2 hours later (only 60 miles way though), and they were about to close due to lack of (local) staff....
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Pabby1980

Post by Pabby1980 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys....i think the general consensus is that i need to man up a bit and start to view my car differently than i do at present. It's not an AC Cobra with a shoddy roof....nor a 2 seat Fiesta....and as mentioned it's designed to be used every day. I'm going to look into the tyres mentioned, and even though it's currently raining outside, i'm off for a drive.

I'm really starting to see why you guys love these cars so much......i'm getting very tempted to buy a coupe as well as the roadster.....not sure if the wife will agree though! Haha!

Cheers. :D :D