Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport Suspension V's SE Suspension - Parts Difference

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 am

Hi all. I have a 2004 3.0 SE, even though it's an SE all 3.0's came with Sport suspension as standard. (I think there was an option to delete it).

I find the ride a bit crashy and not exactly supple on the crappy roads in Essex. Now I know this will sound crazy to some of you but I'm thinking of converting the suspension to SE.

Would it just be a matter of changing the 4 springs and 4 shocks or would it involve arms, bushes, etc?

(For information I have normal non run flat tyres and 17 inch alloys which improved things over the previous 18's). The rear springs were replaced with Sport Suplex, the shocks are original and probably tired (car has done 40K). I suspect Bilstein B4 may make a small improvement over the OEM but guessing Bilstein B6 would make it harder.

Cheeky but if anyone in the Essex area has a Zed with SE suspension I'd love to have a passenger ride in it so I can compare.
Last edited by csquire4 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

Deddi

Post by Deddi » Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 am

You've got exactly the same car as me, and i wondered about this a few months ago. I changed from run flats to non run flats as everyone advised, and it made a HUGE difference. Solved the issue straightaway for me.
Mineral grey E89 2.0M sport 2015

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Believe the main differences are shorter springs, shocks to match with these shorter springs, and thicker anti roll bars.

The consensus seems to be that new Bilstein shocks, while being firmer than the original stock, will actually be more compliant over bumps due to being fresh dampers rather than old worn out ones.