Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Track day? Driving school?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Pabby1980

Post by Pabby1980 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:56 pm

I've been advised not to take my zed on a track.....how good this advice is i don't know, but the principal is that it will put unnecessary strain and wear on the car....which seems to make sense.

However, i'm not 100% confident in my driving abilities, and would really like to be taught by an expert how to get the most out of the car, whilst remaining safe and fully in control.

So, my question is....can anyone recommend a good 'school' or track day where they have BMWs, preferably 3ltr ones, that i can use to get a feel for my car without damaging mine?

Perhaps the BMW aspect isn't as important as simply learning how to handle a RWD car properly. I'm not too proud to admit that a professional driver will be able to teach me a hell of a lot, and i'm happy to pay for that advice.

I'm in the Midlands, but can travel.

Thanks in advance. :)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm

If you're after a bit of instruction in how to handle the car on the limits, and learn what happens when/after you reach it, then here's a few (mine was with Don Palmer a good few years ago - and even has a Z4 as a menu picture)

Don Palmer
http://www.donpalmer.co.uk/

Andy Walsh
http://www.carlimits.com/

BMW Driving Experience
https://drivingexperiences.bmw.co.uk/m-experience/

If you want a more road-biased approach...

HPC
http://www.high-performance-course.com/

Police Class 1 Instruction
http://www.advanceddrivingtraining.co.uk/
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Pabby1980

Post by Pabby1980 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:29 pm

mmm-five wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm If you're after a bit of instruction in how to handle the car on the limits, and learn what happens when/after you reach it, then here's a few (mine was with Don Palmer a good few years ago - and even has a Z4 as a menu picture)

Don Palmer
http://www.donpalmer.co.uk/

Andy Walsh
http://www.carlimits.com/

BMW Driving Experience
https://drivingexperiences.bmw.co.uk/m-experience/

If you want a more road-biased approach...

HPC
http://www.high-performance-course.com/

Police Class 1 Instruction
http://www.advanceddrivingtraining.co.uk/
Fantastic, thanks for this. :)

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Sat May 20, 2017 1:31 pm

A company that organises good safe track days is https://www.motorsport-events.com/colle ... track-days and the nearest one to you is Abingdon. Driving time available is around about 5 hours which is plenty enough and if you spin you will more than likely have no one that close to you or end up on grass, not into a barrier like you would at a circuit.

They also do tuition on the days £25 for 20mins or you can book a half day session with Ed Moore for £350 which I did 4 years ago when I had my S2000, fantastic experience and really explored the S2k's limits and beyond (and my own :rofl: )

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sat May 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm going to try one of the BMWCCGB track days this year. They have a good reputation and include tuition.
I'm doing it in my Z, I'm not worried about stressing it too much as it is not a race, and I can go as fast or slow as both me and the car feel comfortable with.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat May 20, 2017 3:09 pm

You'll not have any issues taking the zed on track - I daily mine and track it when I can!

First proper trackday I did was at Goodwood, so I am biased - but they have instructors on hand to a) show you the track and the lines in a Goodwood car, and b) jump in with you for as many laps as you need to coach you etc.

Another good venue is Bedford autodrome - plenty of run off, and trackdays.co.uk do tuition with their days too

:)
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

woolybear

Post by woolybear » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 am

NickDE wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:50 pm I'm going to try one of the BMWCCGB track days this year. They have a good reputation and include tuition.
I'm doing it in my Z, I'm not worried about stressing it too much as it is not a race, and I can go as fast or slow as both me and the car feel comfortable with.
I can thoroughly, recommend, the BMW CCGB for track days.. :thumbsup:

Over the past 4-5 years - I've done probably 15+ of their track days, at venues all over the UK..
The next one & the season finale, is at Oulton Park in early November.. Always a fun day up there in Cheshire, as the weather can be 'changeable', shall we say!

Best of luck OP and yes, I'd take a Z4 on track - like others have also said :driving:

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:29 pm

My first lesson was on my first track day. It was extremely useful, I was melting my brakes every 3 laps before the lesson. That said, you learn a lot just by getting stuck in. BMWCCGB track days are perfect. You get free tuition and if you want to take it easy and get used to the car on circuit people won't hassle you to get out of the way.

Don't worry about mechanical wear, Z4's are very good at soaking up a track day. Just make sure you get some high temp pads and that your brake fluid is in good condition.

One word of warning, track days are highly addictive. I did one back in 2010 just to get a tick in the box, I've done over thirty now!

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:02 pm

I was doing one a month in my Corrado, then the same in the e34 M5, but as I got older I realised I had ‘better’ things to spend £1000 a month on :oops:

So I still do the odd track day at Oulton or Cadwell and do 3 trips to the Ring a year.

The Z4MC is much cheaper (maintenance wise) on track than the M5 ever was, but not as much fun in a way as it rewards smoother driving over banzai attack mode, and is less forgiving.
Trigger’s Z4MC

TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm

mmm-five wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm If you're after a bit of instruction in how to handle the car on the limits, and learn what happens when/after you reach it, then here's a few (mine was with Don Palmer a good few years ago - and even has a Z4 as a menu picture)
+1
I did a few days with Don, money well spent imo.

Don't be afraid to take the z4 on track op, they're (within reason) designed to do so, it's really not going to hurt the car apart from the tyres and brakes a bit. Much better trying to find limits there than your local roundabout.... :P
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Rich8

Post by Rich8 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 pm

TomK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm Don't be afraid to take the z4 on track op, they're (within reason) designed to do so, it's really not going to hurt the car apart from the tyres and brakes a bit. Much better trying to find limits there than your local roundabout.... :P
I LOVE my local roundabout :)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Rich8 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 pm I LOVE my local roundabout :)
Me too, but the first couple of times I took the Z4 to mine, after 6 years of a benign M5, I just couldn’t handle how quickly it snapped into oversteer, and how little notice you got. Even the drift instructor at Oulton Park took a couple of laps to get into it...and he called it a “spiteful b***t*rd”.

I’m fine with it now though...and the electronics can be fooled even with them turned on :oops:
Trigger’s Z4MC

TomK

Post by TomK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Rich8 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 pm
TomK wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm Don't be afraid to take the z4 on track op, they're (within reason) designed to do so, it's really not going to hurt the car apart from the tyres and brakes a bit. Much better trying to find limits there than your local roundabout.... :P
I LOVE my local roundabout :)
I'm quite fond of mine too, but they do seem to catch a few out, as above the short wheelbase of these relative to say an e46 means they do rotate quickly.
If in doubt save it for the track imo, better for you and everyone else that might get caught up in the accident if you can't keep up with what's going on.
https://www.wiltshire999s.co.uk/breakin ... park-sign/
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 pm

A few things you could do.

Get some time in at the local kart track. Great way to learn car control though they can be tricky past the limit.

Also IMHO the quickest and easiest way to lean a decent bit of car controls is actually to forget tarmac and sign up for a day of tuition at a rally school. You go sideways at far slower speeds and it always felt like slow motion diving to me after racing go karts. :thumbsup:

I also disagree with whoever told you not to take your own Zed on track. They are robust sports cars. A little exuberant driving and they don"t die they come to life. :driving:

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:59 pm

woolybear wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 am
NickDE wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:50 pm I'm going to try one of the BMWCCGB track days this year. They have a good reputation and include tuition.
I can thoroughly, recommend, the BMW CCGB for track days.. :thumbsup:

Over the past 4-5 years - I've done probably 15+ of their track days, at venues all over the UK..
The next one & the season finale, is at Oulton Park in early November.. Always a fun day up there in Cheshire, as the weather can be 'changeable', shall we say!

Best of luck OP and yes, I'd take a Z4 on track - like others have also said :driving:
I'll see you at Oulton, I'll be in my 330ci.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic