Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Show the 2.0i some love

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Z4SpPD

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Z4SpPD » Wed May 24, 2017 6:43 am

paulgs1000 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:24 pm
Marlon wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 am Where's Paulgs1000 when you need him - he drives an ///M now but started in a 2 litre and . . . (well I will leave him to say)
Ha - thanks Marlon - it's nice to be recognised for supporting ownership of the 2 litre :lol:

Now then blackabbot - I was delighted to see your title and enjoyed reading through your well presented post :thumbsup:

I've always championed the 2 litre. I think it's an overlooked and maligned Zed. I had mine for 19 months and loved it! I didn't know what I was buying but fell in love with it on sight. It was only later, through this forum, that a learnt more about the Z4 and have consequently moved on to a 3.0si (brilliant Zed) and now the M version (that I'm slowly getting the way I want and learn more every drive).

It's disappointing that the thread has got a bit combative - I have to say that there are a lot of knowledgeable folk on this forum and they are well worth listening too. For me much of what has been posted makes sense - including that the 2 litre engine has it's issues - mainly exhaust manifolds cracking (my independent said he would weld it up if it did - it didn't) and Engine Management Lights which can be difficult to sort due to sensitive sensors (get a plug in and cancel). I don't know about the chain tensioner issues but I'm listening . . .

Despite that I find a lot of the comments about the 2 litre are more based upon it's lack of power and the perceived greater smoothness of the 6 cylinder motor. Regarding the lack of power, well on the road the driver can make a huge difference and I had great fun chasing 'bigger' engine Zeds on forum runs and revving out my 2 litre on the back roads of Northumberland - absolutely brilliant fun. I've also driven with some terrific 2 litre drivers (Chesherman, Geezer and others) that make the most of and have surprised quite a few with, the capabilities of their Zeds. I'm convinced the 2 litre handles better in some circumstances due to the lighter engine (and location of the engine as already mentioned). Keeping the engine on boil is all part of the fun of the 2 litre. I always found it a willing and smooth engine and can't understand when folk say the 6 cylinder is smoother - for a 4 pot I thought it was incredibly smooth and would rev all day at high revs then start the next morning ready for more - brilliant. The only roughness is with the slightly hunting tickover that seems at odds with the rest of the rev range (they all do it).

I came from a 6 year love affair with a Mk 2 MX5 and then the extreme of a TVR Chimeara to the Zed (all after years of motorcycles) - the 2 litre Zed offered terrific looks, fun involving handling, and relatively licence friendly top end commitment in the lower gears.
The only draw back was the gulf between 2nd and 3rd gear - changing down to second left too few revs to play with and changing up to 3rd dropped the revs too far - frustratingly didn't quite work - close ratio box anyone :cry:

I did move to a 3 litre after long consideration - so much was said about the character of the 6 cylinder that I had to try one - it took all of about 200 yards and a couple of roundabouts (to check the handling) before I was convinced :lol: Brilliant.

The M initially caused me more anguish (check my posts and see :o ) waited a long time for the M I wanted. I've found the M a very different kind of Zed and much of my initial concern about it has been answered by reinstating the rear muffler and back boxes - it's amazing how psychologically it's allowed me to use the higher rev range - probably tells you more about me than the M though. I was lucky enough to keep both my 3 litre and my M for 6 months before deciding which to keep. In the end it was the specialness of the M and it's greater capabilities that won me over - that and my wife felt it was a safer (in having more capability) sports car.

I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to have all 3 versions. Having a 3 litre made driving easier - extra punch for overtakes and a torquer engine at the bottom end. The M has made driving more interesting and challenging. I've enjoyed all three versions but would always champion the 2 litre as a great fun machine which needs the driver to make the very best of it and this can be done on the road - that's where the enjoyment and fun comes in. You have to be careful on the road in the 3 litre and the M (very careful) if you want to get near their potential. It's cheaper to run as well!

Would I be happy to return to a 2 litre - well yes of course! :thumbsup:
:D :D :D :cry: :cry: :cry: :happyclap: Said it all... Well, only thing I am missing on my 2.0 is some more power when I want to overtake on some short straights. Other than that, I feel it gives me everything. It is a nice car. I would love sometime to go to a 2,5Si or even an M/// but for now it is a very good car.

greg1953

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by greg1953 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 am

I'm gradually starting to hate mine, it's been a nightmare since I bought it in November...so far, new wishbone bushes, new rear springs, new calipers, discs & pads, new ABS pump £2090 and now I have the eng light on showing cam position sensor which may well indicate a new timing chain needed...but the biggest problem is that I love driving it and not sure if I can bear to part with it, yes, the 2.0 is as lame as a one legged duck but I get my speed kicks from my bikes and drive at a steady pace, I just wish it was more reliable.....is the E89 2.0 any better ?
Greg
P.S. at least when everythings sorted it should be ok...or is there some other major issue waiting to ambush me ??

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Smartbear » Wed May 24, 2017 7:40 am

greg1953 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 am I'm gradually starting to hate mine, it's been a nightmare since I bought it in November...so far, new wishbone bushes, new rear springs, new calipers, discs & pads, new ABS pump £2090 and now I have the eng light on showing cam position sensor which may well indicate a new timing chain needed...but the biggest problem is that I love driving it and not sure if I can bear to part with it, yes, the 2.0 is as lame as a one legged duck but I get my speed kicks from my bikes and drive at a steady pace, I just wish it was more reliable.....is the E89 2.0 any better ?
Greg
P.S. at least when everythings sorted it should be ok...or is there some other major issue waiting to ambush me ??
Hi Greg, the e89 2litre is a totally different engine that shares no common parts with the e85 2litre-its also turbo charged & easy to extract more power from if that's your thing :driving:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 am

greg1953 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:19 am I'm gradually starting to hate mine, it's been a nightmare since I bought it in November...so far, new wishbone bushes, new rear springs, new calipers, discs & pads, new ABS pump £2090 and now I have the eng light on showing cam position sensor which may well indicate a new timing chain needed...but the biggest problem is that I love driving it and not sure if I can bear to part with it, yes, the 2.0 is as lame as a one legged duck but I get my speed kicks from my bikes and drive at a steady pace, I just wish it was more reliable.....is the E89 2.0 any better ?
Greg
Hi Greg, Sorry to hear about the problems your having, Oh no Macks going to have a field day with your post :(
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Wed May 24, 2017 1:09 pm

MACK wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 am Kettle - Pot! :poke: :rofl:
Feel free to post a image of you 'de-badged' M Steering wheel mate :thumbsup:

That should be Pot & Kettle,
plus you just stole that off me (i am honoured though (its a ego thing)).
Zzzzzz.... :bonk:

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ ... t7fwu1.jpg[/IMG]
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

RyanB88

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by RyanB88 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Just my opinion but I don't understand why anyone would buy a performance car with a none performance engine?
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Marlon » Wed May 24, 2017 4:12 pm

RyanB88 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm Just my opinion but I don't understand why anyone would buy a performance car with a none performance engine?
The MX-5 has been, and still is, a hugely successful 'sports car' without having what I would call a performance engine.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Wed May 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Marlon wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 4:12 pm
RyanB88 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 pm Just my opinion but I don't understand why anyone would buy a performance car with a none performance engine?
The MX-5 has been, and still is, a hugely successful 'sports car' without having what I would call a performance engine.
Isnt the MX-5 one of the most sold cars globally?
Its like 'The Mini' scenario, lots of people dont like them, "stupid small British old car" until you drive one in anger. Such an amazing car to drive and throw around a track (or town centre at 3am). :roll:
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Wed May 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Just to clarify Ryan, when I went to view the 2.0i I bought I spent three hours looking it over and about 40 minutes driving it, when I found how agile the car was in cornering and the steering so positive it blew me away, I drove on a dual carriageway which was quiet and took it to 80 mph with what to me still seemed to have loads left on the throttle. The 2.0i will do 0-60 mph in 7.7 sec with a top speed of 137 mph I personally will never rev the backside out of the car or need the top speed.
I will turn 66 in july and considered the performance of the 2.0i was more than adequate for me, I gave up boy racing 40 odd years ago.
The reason I put my cars MOT history in my thread was not to show if it had any engine issues, but to show that it was a reasonably straight vehicle for its age and that it had no issues regarding suspension, brakes, exhaust emission problems and all the other checks that are done, and also if there any lurkers on the forum thinking of buying a Z4 or any other car for that matter, that its a good idea to check its history before buying. I didn't have any Prior knowledge of the potential problems regarding the engine in the 2.0i but the service history I got with the car show's she had been well maintained and cared for and I will continue to care for the car. The Z's bodywork was straight and had the spec I wanted with the m sport suspension, m steering wheel, m sport heated seats and other bits and bobs, so having test driven I couldn't walk away without buying it. I don't see my car as being an mx5 alternative just because it has the 2.0i engine in it, if I'd wanted an mx5 I would have bought one, I've always loved the design and lines of the E85 and bought it for that reason not for the extra performance you get with a six cylinder, I can fully understand why most buyers go for 2.5 or 3.0 regarding performance and engine note, but basically the 2.0i has all the performance I need.
I hope Ryan this post gives you a better understanding of why I bought the 2.0i sport and your opinion is appreciated along with all the other members who took the time to reply :driving:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 pm

ESP wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 1:09 pm
MACK wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 am Kettle - Pot! :poke: :rofl:
Feel free to post a image of you 'de-badged' M Steering wheel mate :thumbsup:

That should be Pot & Kettle,
plus you just stole that off me (i am honoured though (its a ego thing)).
Zzzzzz.... :bonk:

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ ... t7fwu1.jpg[/IMG]
Yawn! :rofl:
Your attempts at visual humour are really piss poor when compare to the resident forum guru ChrisD, he really kicks your arse at this!
But you should be used to having your arse kicked on here by now!

My wheel spokes are currently wrapped and probably getting painted so yes currently de-badged, thanks for asking! :rofl:
If you want some piccies to look at why dont you just admire your photos of your M badge, or your quad exhaust for that matter! Dont get too excited, wouldn't want you to have any little accidents :rofl:
Or maybe you could post a piccie of your R8 :rofl: " or at least the R8 badge your A1 is no doubt wearing!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
# Mr BS!!!

On the MX5 front, all MX5's weigh considerably less than the 2.0 zed, yet Mazda felt the need to offer at least one model in each generation with nearly the same, if not more power than the 2.0 E85. The MX5 was/is a car not marketed on straight line speed, yet Mazda have always felt the need to offer it with more poke than any 2.0 E85 despite weighing hundred of kilo less and that's before you consider any of the aftermarket turbo/supercharger examples of which there are many.

Really does make you think the 2.0 zed is all show and no go. A sales/marketing exercise as an entry level car at a certain price point that was a huge success, beyond that I'm not so sure! :poke:
Last edited by MACK on Wed May 24, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Nictrix » Wed May 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Not that I want to get into what engine is better as I dont really care, its all about whether you are happy with what you have that counts but posting about previous MOTs really means nothing. The car could have had loads and loads of problems every year but sorted before going through an MOT. Most normal people dont wait for an MOT before getting things fixed. However you would have thought that the previous owner would have checked the tyres before putting it in for an MOT.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by andysat » Wed May 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Adam D wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 pm Cracked exhaust manifold?
First thing I had replaced.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 pm

To be honest all z4s are under powered by modern standards. And they are not that light ether. But they all look cool and they are all quick enough.

Apart from mine witch looks way cooler and if I ever get it finished faster than most!! So what do I win where is my prize?!?
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Lynchy » Wed May 24, 2017 7:34 pm

It ain't finished yet :D

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Machine monkey » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 pm

Lynchy wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:34 pm It ain't finished yet :D

:rofl: and might never be :rofl:

But it's still a good stopping point for all the arguing, I win!!!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!