Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Show the 2.0i some love

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm

ESP wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:03 pm
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:32 pm In the early/mid 2000's (before diesel completely took over) I worked for a company that ran many hundreds of BMW 318i with the N42/46 2.0 engine in its company car fleet. We also had hundreds of 3 and 5 series with various M54/N52 engines. Cars covered anything from 15k to 150k in a 3-4 year period. Yes its fair to say we had engine issues with some of the M54/N52 engined cars, but it was quite rare. The N42/N46 was a major pain with literally hundreds of cars having engine issues of one sort or another.
So Have you owned or had a 2.0 BMW yourself?

I am in no doubt that there will be break downs and 1 engine will statistically perform better than another, thats reality. What suggesting is there is some sort of Major engine issue that would require a total recall, and that 2.0 is prone, bound to and will eventually with out any doubt fail. Compare this to Ford, Renault, Vauxhall etc... are you suggesting there 2.0 or equivalent engine's dont have reliability issues.

1 example (all though there are thousands of others) would be VW's 1.8 20v engine that will very often (not always) require a new coil pack before it reaches 50000 miles, this happened twice on a Golf GTi we leased, after 3 years this car had covered over 110 000miles. This was then replaced by a 2.0 118I M SPORT, which after 3 years covered over 100 000, and we kept on the lease for a further 18month, finally returning the car with almost 150 000miles on the clock, with no mechanical problems.

Thats not to say someone else with a similar car might have a issues with in the first 18-24 months of ownership.

No one here is saying the 2.0 is a bullet proof engine, but no one here running a 2.0 seems to have these major constant, engine failures you keep telling us the 2.0 is "Well documented" to have?
I'm really not trying to get into this again with you, but you don't make it easy! :rofl:
Seriously mate your snide remark "well documented" WTF!
Your trying to make it sound like this info is buried on the dark web or something and you've got to be a hacker grade internet warrior to find it!

Google "bmw n46 timing chain"

this is first up

http://powerdevelopments.co.uk/bmw-318c ... eplacement

and that's just for starters. I think most folks will take more notice of them than you with biased opinion. Seriously are you going to pay someone repair bills if they buy a 2.0 on your advice that then had one of, as you like to put it "well documented" failures?!
No, didn't think so.

All this is about you and your ego, not the facts. It has been since your first post on this topic last week where you unnecessarily laid into people, which was bad enough, the fact you were and still are talking rubbish makes it all the worse!

Yes no car is perfect/immune to failure. But unlike you I can't with a clear conscious advise someone buying today that buying a 2.0 E85 with an engine that has proven itself to be less reliable and comes with less spec as standard when a better equipped, more reliable option is available for near enough the same money makes any sense, just to protect my ego/feelings!

That's not to mention the more subjective factors such as power and smoothness!

Plenty of 2.0 owners sell up and move on to 2.5/3.0 and M's. Never heard of anyone going the other way, clearly there's reasons for that!
But if reliability, power and smoothness etc aren't issues why would they?!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Tue May 23, 2017 2:01 pm

MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm I'm really not trying to get into this again with you, but you don't make it easy! :rofl:
Why is this funny?
(Clearly you are getting into this hence your novel like reply.) :bonk:
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm Seriously mate your snide remark "well documented" WTF!
Hows that snide?
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm All this is about you and your ego, not the facts.
How is this about my ego?
(I have a ego?? #Pot #Kettle)
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm unlike you I can't with a clear conscious advise someone buying today that buying a 2.0 E85 with an engine that has proven itself to be less reliable and comes with less spec as standard when a better equipped
Engine size has no relevance to standard equipment, there are plenty of all models with higher option specs or lower specs. Even so whats that got to do with anything? People have this as a choice when buying a used car, theres always another one if you dont like the spec.

MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm That's not to mention the more subjective factors such as power and smoothness!
While driving i have never heard any complaint or mention a lack of smoothness on the 2.0 engine. Unless its just 'my ego' or i just have a unique 2.0 thats smooth.

How much power do I need to drive to work, or going away at a weekend, or to Sainsburys?
Currently I have always managed to make it there and back (just) im worried now.

Realistically, all this “Smoooth / Power”, how much of whats available do you use and how often? How often are you driving in that power band above 75% close to the redline? In fact how often and for how long are you even above 40% use of the power?

All 2.0 Z4's are Roadsters (convertibles). Although fit for purpose on a motorway for hours on end of driving generally in a straight line, a roadster purpose is for a twisty country road Hoon with the roof down. Its not a GT car, its not a large salon.

As for my conscious its pretty clear. Like i said, i've owned this one many years and i ran another for nearly 5. You have a lot to say about whats online, but haven't actually owned a 2.0, so feel free to write WAR AND PEACE back but im not listening, pretty sure you feel you have a point but i get the feeling no one else is listening.
:bonk:
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 pm

ESP wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 2:01 pm
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm I'm really not trying to get into this again with you, but you don't make it easy! :rofl:
Why is this funny?
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm Seriously mate your snide remark "well documented" WTF!
Hows that snide?
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm All this is about you and your ego, not the facts.
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm unlike you I can't with a clear conscious advise someone buying today that buying a 2.0 E85 with an engine that has proven itself to be less reliable and comes with less spec as standard when a better equipped
Engine size has no relevance to standard equipment, there are plenty of all models with higher option specs or lower specs. Even so whats that got to do with anything? People have this as a choice when buying a used car, theres always another one if you dont like the spec.

MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 pm That's not to mention the more subjective factors such as power and smoothness!
While driving i have never heard any complaint or mention a lack of smoothness on the 2.0 engine. Unless its just 'my ego' or i just have a unique 2.0 thats smooth.

How much power do I need to drive to work, or going away at a weekend, or to Sainsburys?
Currently I have always managed to make it there and back (just) im worried now.

Realistically, all this “Smoooth / Power”, how much of whats available do you use and how often? How often are you driving in that power band above 75% close to the redline? In fact how often and for how long are you even above 40% use of the power?

All 2.0 Z4's are Roadsters (convertibles). Although fit for purpose on a motorway for hours on end of driving generally in a straight line, a roadster purpose is for a twisty country road Hoon with the roof down. Its not a GT car, its not a large salon.
You really have a hang up on this power smoothness thing and completely ignored the reliable aspect in your last post. Why is that would be you finally accepting the truth of the matter. That allow would prevent me recommending the 2.0. As for equipment. Wtf! You have been on here years but still don't seem to know that 2.0 are a lower spec than 2.5s and particularly 3.0s. The 3.0 for example has a 6 speed box, leather electric seats and bigger brakes amongst other things. I really thought someone whos been on here as long as you would know that sort of thing. Evidently I've given you too much credit!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

synthedup

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by synthedup » Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm

MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 pm
Why is this funny?
Hows that snide?

You really have a hang up on this power smoothness thing and completely ignored the reliable aspect in your last post. Why is that would be you finally accepting the truth of the matter. That allow would prevent me recommending the 2.0. As for equipment. Wtf! You have been on here years but still don't seem to know that 2.0 are a lower spec than 2.5s and particularly 3.0s. The 3.0 for example has a 6 speed box, leather electric seats and bigger brakes amongst other things. I really thought someone whos been on here as long as you would know that sort of thing. Evidently I've given you too much credit!
My face lift 2.0 has a 6 speed box :driving:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Tue May 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Why is this funny?
Hows that snide?

As for my conscious its pretty clear. Like i said, i've owned this one many years and i ran another for nearly 5. You have a lot to say about whats online, but haven't actually owned a 2.0, so feel free to write WAR AND PEACE back but im not listening, pretty sure you feel you have a point but i get the feeling no one else is listening.
If legal ownership of a bmw with the n46 engine matters then I have owned over 50. Including a few with "Well documented" issues I bought cheap. In fact if I'm honest the 2008 zed4 we had to sell on in 2014 was the car that gave me a taste for a zed. But when I bought a keeper in 2015 I learned enough from my experience with a 2.0 to not buy one with that engine!

War and peace😁fair enough put look who talking!🤣
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 pm

The thread is called "Show the 2.0i some love" not "Mack tell's everyone where they have gone wrong" and waffle's on.

FYI Brakes are not a option, they kind of come as what you get, as required for car / curb weight.

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ ... yvqdii.jpg[/IMG]
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm

ESP wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 pm :bonk:

The thread is called "Show the 2.0i some love" not "Mack tell's everyone where they have gone wrong" and waffle's on.

FYI Brakes are not a option, they kind of come as what you get, as required for car / curb weight.

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/ ... yvqdii.jpg[/IMG]
Fyi learn the difference between when someone writes "spec" they don't mean options do they. I guess I leave you for your 2.0 luv in then!
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Artful-Bodger

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Artful-Bodger » Tue May 23, 2017 7:16 pm

My 2008 318 has the N43 engine, I've done 78K in that car with zero problems so I'm unclear why the 2.0 Z4 should be unreliable?
I do run it on very good quality oil as it's a hot running engine but so far the cars faultless.

My Z4 is the 3.0 M54 2005, It's a superb engine but for normal road use it's not necessary to have the 3.0 to drive in traffic, or cruise up the motorway, plus I have to add I upgraded the brakes on mine to 330I spec as the original setup felt less that confidence inspiring, so I can see 2.0 owners needing an upgrade as well!

Dynamically the 2.0 is lighter with less gubbins in the car and very importantly has a shorter engine block moving it's mass further back in the bay and improving the balance over the six cylinder, so handling wise the 2.0 could be a damn good track car, it's certainly going to be more agile than the six cylinder cars, and as both share the same basic suspension there's no reason why you couldn't upgrade a 2.0 car to a very good spec!

My only criticism of the 2.0 lump is it's not a particularly revvy engine and sounds a bit strained over 5000rpm, so the six is a nicer lump to drive behind but in reality on the road a 2.0 will do the job!
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools - Colin Chapman

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by andysat » Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm

I loved mine-it was just the Yellow engine light that needed thousands spending to try to sort it out-never did find out the problem :(
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Ewazix » Tue May 23, 2017 7:42 pm

ESP wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:03 pm
I am in no doubt that there will be break downs and 1 engine will statistically perform better than another, thats reality. What suggesting is there is some sort of Major engine issue that would require a total recall, and that 2.0 is prone
BMW don't seem to 'do' recalls unless it's safety related and they figure the legal risks outweigh the finances. No way will they advertise, admit or even entertain the idea that any other fault is common. Full stop.

E85 VANOS seals, rear springs, cracked 296 wheels, window regulators, misty fogs, EPS! wet roof motors!!! E86 tailagate, N52 water pumps, N46 cracked manifold/sensors/cat's and timing chain issues and so on. It's just unfortunate that the N46 issues seem more prevalent, often tricky to diagnose and so get expensive to fix.

But for what it's worth when I test drove a 2.0 it felt more agile and less nose heavy than six's so I suspect it can punch above it's weight in the twisty stuff :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by mr wilks » Tue May 23, 2017 7:59 pm

Well that went well :oops: :D :online2long:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Ewazix » Tue May 23, 2017 8:15 pm

andysat wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm I loved mine-it was just the Yellow engine light that needed thousands spending to try to sort it out-never did find out the problem :(
Now your's was War & Peace saga of epic proportions! I hope you feel guilty for passing that one on :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm

synthedup wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm
MACK wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Why is this funny?

Hows that snide?

My face lift 2.0 has a 6 speed box :driving:
My Facelift 2.0i sport has
6 speed box
M sport suspension
M sport multi function steering wheel
M sport Heated half leather seats
18" Alloys
just to name a few extras, not to shabby hey :D :driving:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

wingnut

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by wingnut » Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 pm

I think that all 2.0 have 6 speed, pre and post facelift

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Ewazix » Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 pm

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (98.45 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
That's sorted that out then :roll:
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost