Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Show the 2.0i some love

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am

This whole situation has gotten out of hand now and as one of the chief purp's I'll hold my hands up and say I'm guilty!
However in my defence this all started when a newbie asked for some buying advice. Forumites gave some honest opinion and quite frankly accurate advice about the N46 Engine's reliability and all hell broke loose. Instead of questioning what was said ESP waded in and start kicking off and insulting folks because he wasn't happy hearing bad things about his precious 2.0 engine and it went downhill from there.

The point right back at the beginning that start all of all this (in another thread) was if buying today and insurance and mpg weren't critical you basically have a choice. For circa the same money you can either go for the 150BHP engine with well document reliability issues that are sometimes difficult to diagnose and usually expensive to fix or one of the more power engines that's typically more reliable and smoother too. Seriously folks, who wouldn't go for the later if buying today!

Now people are bringing the E89 into the equation and quite simply your just confusing the issue by doing that.
I'm willing to bet that most of the folks who are accused of "hating on the 2.0" would buy a 2.0T if in the market for E89 (Myself included) The engine doesn't have the same issues as N/A predecessor, its good value, especially if you buy a 18i and remap it into 28i territory. Couple this to the fact that the 3.0T in the E89 can have there own issues reliability wise, it makes for a compelling case.

I keep trying to walk away from this argument (honest) but at the end of the day I'm not giving into cyber insults/bullying because someone doesn't like what I'm saying. I've never walked away from a fight in my life (got my into trouble too at times!) especially when I know I'm right and its people just don't like hearing it and start behaving like babies. I'm not been a saint in this either but I'm certainly not going to walk away from some cowardly bully boy keyboard warrior! Even when I probably should.

The point being I know there's a lot of 2.0 owners out there, many have had there cars for years when buying a 2.0 made a lot of sense, at the end of the day there was a good £10k between the 2 and 3 litre new. Hell I would of bought one back then before all the expensive reliability issues raised their ugly heads. However buying today, I wouldn't and that's the advice the newbie was getting. I know folks will say why not keep quiet, why risk upsetting many forumites. The answer is simple if I said nothing and the same newbie bought one and then started posting they were having expensive to fix issues I would feel like a "bleep!"

Just this weekend I was advising a newbie on here who by the sounds of it may have a timing chain/tensioner issue on his 2.0i. I hope he doesn't, but I've seen the signs first hand too many times before. Its not the end of the world and its not like the engine will grenade itself as its a none interference engine, but he's staring down the barrel of at least a £400+ repair. Imagine you had advised him to buy that car. Now he's got it though and already spent a fortune on other repairs selling makes no sense and if it was my car I would keep it and get the fix done. Which bring us on to a point not previously mentioned (god knows how!) Alot of the 2.0i out there will have had many if not all of the common issues attended to at least once already so may/or may not be fine long term, however folks dont generally want to tell you a car your interesting in buying has been problematic which bring you back to buying a i6 engine zed just to be on the safe side. The extra power, standard spec and smoothness etc are just a bonus!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Thu May 25, 2017 10:50 am

:tumbleweed:
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Thu May 25, 2017 10:54 am

ESP wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:50 am:tumbleweed:
You just cant help yourself can you! :topicclosed:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Thu May 25, 2017 12:20 pm

I am so sorry if you feel your being Cyber Bulled.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am I'm not giving into cyber insults/bullying because someone doesn't like what I'm saying.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 amnow you've got yourself a little cheerleader to revel in your 2.0 luvfest together. Hope you'll be very happy!
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Seems you two definitely have a case of "small engine syndrome"
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Your therapist will tell you "you know you wont be truly happy to you do!" :rofl: Oh no wait, I forgot you've got that Audi R8 :rofl: sorry I meant A1. :poke: #Billy BS
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am unlike you two clowns I'm clearly light years ahead in at least knowing something about what hell I'm talking about. Seriously posting MOT history as proof that a car hasn't had engine issues now WTF is that about, how ridiculous! As for ESP aka Mr Billy BS, enough said really!
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am A word of advice, if your going to talk BS and try to brag at least be good at it and don't get caught out lying! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Change your signature Mr Audi A1 TFSI Sline!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am If anything your ramblings just reinforce your clueless, or maybe you've got distracted from the actual point of all of this whilst curtain twitching at your imaginary R8! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Cant win the argue, then HUMILIATE YOURSELF as being a Billy BS.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: WTF is that the best you can do! #Billy BS :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think you find I'm been the rationale honest one, your the one who's full of it, deluded
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am why dont you just admire your photos of your M badge, or your quad exhaust for that matter! Dont get too excited, wouldn't want you to have any little accidents :rofl:
Or maybe you could post a piccie of your R8 :rofl: " or at least the R8 badge your A1 is no doubt wearing!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
# Mr BS!!!
There's Talk and Banter, light hearted and argumentative chat,
and then there's YOU who doesn't seem to have a clue about how ignorant he is and quickly ignores other peoples posts, replies and opinions back at you. In my opinion (in reply to your many insults) your a very sad obnoxious person.

Do you think your attitude to other forum remembers is totally normal and inline with others? Your entitled to a opinion but only if you can respect other peoples! And dont expect everyone to agree with your's just because its what you say.

Its clear you totally ignore and brush over replies that point out where your not actually correct and just keep shouting about something else like a child throwing its toys out of the pram. The 3.0 isn't noticeably Smoother, nor the 4 pot noticeably 'un smooth' and on the whole Spec and options are swings and round about's on both models, 2.0 came with a 6 speed box for example, at least post face lift. Also the option from the factory to have M-Sport Seats & multi function Steering wheels, electric seats, sat nav..... etc etc there are high spec and low spec examples out there of ALL Z4's.

"Billy BS" lol, you throw that insult about but have managed to brush over the your error again shout about something else. Dont worry it doesnt actually bother me, just made me chuckle :thumbsup:
Last edited by ESP on Thu May 25, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by mr wilks » Thu May 25, 2017 12:38 pm

:sos: :dizzy:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Steve84N

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Steve84N » Thu May 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Straight sixes are smoother, it's the only inherently balanced engine configuration. However, a well sorted 4 cylinder is certainly smooth enough.

It might have 150bhp for a small part of the rev range but a six actually has at least 150bhp in the normal working range so it's much easier and more relaxing to make normal progress in a six. Of course you can keep up with normal traffic in a 2.0, everyone drives like Miss Daisy these days. There's still plenty of opportunities to enjoy 261bhp, I'd prefer 350-400bhp but I certainly wouldn't want just 150bhp as it just doesn't give you the same level of options for dispatching slow drivers.

It is true to say that more six pot Zs will have a higher spec than four pot Zs but there are clearly still plenty with good options too.

In other words there is truth in most of the posts written but ultimately the six has more to offer. If you don't feel you want that extra then a 2.0 will do just fine.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Thu May 25, 2017 1:33 pm

ESP wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:20 pm I am so sorry if you feel your being Cyber Bulled.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am I'm not giving into cyber insults/bullying because someone doesn't like what I'm saying.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 amnow you've got yourself a little cheerleader to revel in your 2.0 luvfest together. Hope you'll be very happy!
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Seems you two definitely have a case of "small engine syndrome"
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Your therapist will tell you "you know you wont be truly happy to you do!" :rofl: Oh no wait, I forgot you've got that Audi R8 :rofl: sorry I meant A1. :poke: #Billy BS
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am unlike you two clowns I'm clearly light years ahead in at least knowing something about what hell I'm talking about. Seriously posting MOT history as proof that a car hasn't had engine issues now WTF is that about, how ridiculous! As for ESP aka Mr Billy BS, enough said really!
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am A word of advice, if your going to talk BS and try to brag at least be good at it and don't get caught out lying! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Change your signature Mr Audi A1 TFSI Sline!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am If anything your ramblings just reinforce your clueless, or maybe you've got distracted from the actual point of all of this whilst curtain twitching at your imaginary R8! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Cant win the argue, then HUMILIATE YOURSELF as being a Billy BS.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: WTF is that the best you can do! #Billy BS :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I think you find I'm been the rationale honest one, your the one who's full of it, deluded
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am why dont you just admire your photos of your M badge, or your quad exhaust for that matter! Dont get too excited, wouldn't want you to have any little accidents :rofl:
Or maybe you could post a piccie of your R8 :rofl: " or at least the R8 badge your A1 is no doubt wearing!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
# Mr BS!!!
There's Talk and Banter, light hearted and argumentative chat,
and then there's YOU who doesn't seem to have a clue about how ignorant he is and quickly ignores other peoples posts, replies and opinions back at you. In my opinion (in reply to your many insults) your a very sad obnoxious person.

Do you think your attitude to other forum remembers is totally normal and inline with others? Your entitled to a opinion but only if you can respect other peoples! And dont expect everyone to agree with your's just because its what you say.

Its clear you totally ignore and brush over replies that point out where your not actually correct and just keep shouting about something else like a child throwing its toys out of the pram. The 3.0 isn't Smoother, nor the 4 pot 'un smooth' and on the whole Spec and options are swings and round about's on both models, 2.0 came with a 6 speed box for example, at least post face lift. Also the option from the factory to have M-Sport Seats & multi function Steering wheels, electric seats, sat nav..... etc etc there are high spec and low spec examples out there of ALL Z4's.

"Billy BS" lol, you throw that insult about but have managed to brush over the your error again shout about something else. Dont worry it doesnt actually bother me, just made me chuckle :thumbsup:
You really can't leave it alone. You accuse me of all sorts when your guilty of all of the very things you firing at me. Conviently missing things like when i acknowledged ive been no saint in this. More than you have ever done. Anything I have said about the 2.0 engine is fact. If you knew anything about engines you would know that a 4 pot isn't as smooth as 6. Is a scientific fact, no argument. This all started with your post having a right go at folks and I asked you where your manners are and correct the other nonsense you'd writen. You didn't like someone doing that and threw your toys out and generally had a tantrum. You took this whole crapfest to where it ended up. I just followed, like I said no saint here but I certainly didn't start it!

You really need to look in the mirror mate your certainly no victim!👎quite frankly I might be an a hole, but as a holes go your the champ!
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm

(Obviously i know nothing about engines, right?? :D (again, presuming, abusing, insulting, turning a debate into childish trash talk (that you cant back up))) Im not talking about statistic's read online, im saying in the real world

SMOOTHNESS
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am 4 pot isn't as smooth as 6. Is a scientific fact, no argument.
Does it effect the driving experience, Nope.
Is it then a factor to consider when buying, NO its not in anyway.
Your making out this difference in resonation is a major drawback. Its just a very minor characteristic on a lab enviroment.
Is the 4 pot noticeable un'smooth? Its already been mention by several 3.0lt and a M owner that NO the 2.0 is not in anyway unsmooth.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Conviently missing things like when i acknowledged ive been no saint in this
I am still waiting for acknowledgement regards to that apparently im Billy Bull s**t and have a imaginary R8? You happily brought that up countless times, over and over, correct?
I choose to ignored it as not to be pretentious.

Acknowledged your wrong on what i drive
thats all, are you humble enough

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Machine monkey » Thu May 25, 2017 2:18 pm

I guess my post didn’t stop the arguing then!!!

As Steve says a straight six will be more balanced by its nature and the combustion cycles. 4 pots v engines any other configuration will have to have added mechanical features to balance the engine. Some are done better than others. I personally don’t like 4 cylinder engines. No idea why i just don’t. But the 2.0 z4 i have driven didn’t seem bad.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Savage

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Savage » Thu May 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:18 pm I guess my post didn’t stop the arguing then!!!

As Steve says a straight six will be more balanced by its nature and the combustion cycles. 4 pots v engines any other configuration will have to have added mechanical features to balance the engine. Some are done better than others. I personally don’t like 4 cylinder engines. No idea why i just don’t. But the 2.0 z4 i have driven didn’t seem bad.
A 3 pot is probably the easiest/cheapest to "smooth"

I'm new here, is there a "naughty corner" someone could put the children in while the grown-ups talk sensibly?

Also - and I have learnt this over years and years of managing an exclusively "Alpha" environment - give people a common enemy and they bind together.

So, you're BOTH being incredibly childish, irrespective of "who started it" one of you needs to man up and stop it. I strongly suspect it would never have gone this far had we all been in a room together - for one things someone would have banged your heads together and bought you an ice cream to distract you..
Last edited by Savage on Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by paulgs1000 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Crikey . . . .

And to think I was delighted to see this thread when I saw it posted up . . . :o :( :cry:

Amongst other things, I'm now made aware I've got 'small engine syndrome' . . . 8)

but I loved my little err. . . . engine. :oops:

Thinking about it, that could explain why I like to wang my big M about :wink: :rofl:

Never mind the 2 litre, I think there's a few folk on here need to be shown some love . . . . :thumbsdown:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Savage

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Savage » Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 pm

paulgs1000 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm I like to wang my big M about :wink: :rofl:
Yes, but I understand the restraining order should stop you from doing that in future :-)

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by paulgs1000 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Savage wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 pm
paulgs1000 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm I like to wang my big M about :wink: :rofl:
Yes, but I understand the restraining order should stop you from doing that in future :-)
:thumbsup: :lol:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

andyfanshawe

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu May 25, 2017 3:11 pm

I still love my 2.0i
i suppose i am in a unique position here....I build big capacity V8 american engines and american custom cars. Minimum size of 5.7 litres. max size 10 litres. Beautiful engines, smooth and very very torquey.
i also drive customers 3.0 z4's, 2.5 z4's and my humble 4 banger 2.0.
And to be perfectly honest, the difference in smoothness between all of them is very small.

Andy.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Thu May 25, 2017 3:26 pm

ESP wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm (Obviously i know nothing about engines, right?? :D (again, presuming, abusing, insulting, turning a debate into childish trash talk (that you cant back up))) Im not talking about statistic's read online, im saying in the real world

SMOOTHNESS
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am 4 pot isn't as smooth as 6. Is a scientific fact, no argument.
Does it effect the driving experience, Nope.
Is it then a factor to consider when buying, NO its not in anyway.
Your making out this difference in resonation is a major drawback. Its just a very minor characteristic on a lab enviroment.
Is the 4 pot noticeable un'smooth? Its already been mention by several 3.0lt and a M owner that NO the 2.0 is not in anyway unsmooth.
MACK wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 am Conviently missing things like when i acknowledged ive been no saint in this
I am still waiting for acknowledgement regards to that apparently im Billy Bull s**t and have a imaginary R8? You happily brought that up countless times, over and over, correct?
I choose to ignored it as not to be pretentious.

Acknowledged your wrong on what i drive
thats all, are you humble enough
Oh Ok, so now your resorting to cyber shouting at me as well as everything else you thrown at me. All in some pathetic attempt to get your way! You clearly too stupid to realize this, so I will have to tell you, your just proving all me points , tantrums, bullying, trolling because I refuse to see it your way, oh dear! Get you head out of the sand!
Fact number 1, the 4 pot isn't as smooth as the 6's, stop whinging on about it!
Fact number 2, the smoothness is noticeable when you drive cars with both engines to the vast majority of drivers. Yes of course some wouldn't notice, but that says more about them than it does about the engines.
Fact number 3, Pretentious is exactly what you are. YOUR the one that tried to argue that because you own/owned this or that car (including an R8 that YOU BROUGHT UP!) then that somehow means your the best qualified to comment and therefore win the argument by default! :rofl: WTF, :headbang: I said it before but applying your logic that makes every premiership footballer a motoring Oracle then!

Just give up mate, your not going to convince me of anything, in fact the longer this crap goes on the less knowledge/insight I think you actually have and the more immaturity!
Bottom line is I know I'm right, you think your right (despite being so clearly wrong in so many ways :poke: :rofl:!) We're never going to agree and shouting me down and be abusive,(the very thing YOU STARTED right back at the beginning of the other thread) isn't going to change a damn thing, the facts are the facts. I'm not anti 2.0 but as a buyer today why buy a 2.0 when you can have a more powerful, smoother and more reliable engine in the same car, with a high standard spec for the same sort of money?! :? :? :? I just cant understand why people aren't be honest about this. If you put two cars in front of most buyers at similar money and assume MPG and insurance aren't critical, ones got and engine thats PROVEN itself to be unreliable and the other is much better in this respect then who's going to buy the one that more likely to let you down and cost you a lot of money? That's before you consider the other factors I've mentioned over and over! Honestly I think despite everything you have said that even you would buy something other than a 2.0 if buying today, given the above.
Nothings change for me, nothing will change when it comes to my opinion on the subject end of! I'm not out to get at 2.0 owners, like I have said a million times the initial thread was about buying today and what they should go for.

Seriously at this point if I did start to agree with you on anything I would be now be thinking "what the hell is wrong with me and where's the nearest shrink!"
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport