Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Show the 2.0i some love

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Smartbear » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm

mr wilks wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:59 pm Well that went well :oops: :D :online2long:

Yep, the thread that keeps on giving :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Marlon » Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 pm

andysat wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm I loved mine-it was just the Yellow engine light that needed thousands spending to try to sort it out-never did find out the problem :(
Dare I say - I had the exact same problem with my 2.0 :cry: (it was intermittent fortunately so I didn't spend on it - traded it in)
Last edited by Marlon on Tue May 23, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Adam D

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by Adam D » Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Cracked exhaust manifold?
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by mr wilks » Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Adam D wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 pm Cracked exhaust manifold?
Sshhhhhh :cry: managed almost 3 pages without mention :|
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

NickDE

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by NickDE » Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm
mr wilks wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:59 pm Well that went well :oops: :D :online2long:

Yep, the thread that keeps on giving :oops:
Rob
I'm so glad I spent time reading this thread :yawn:
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm so glad I spent time starting this thread :rofl:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Marlon wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 pm
andysat wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm I loved mine-it was just the Yellow engine light that needed thousands spending to try to sort it out-never did find out the problem :(
Dare I say - I had the exact same problem with my 2.0 :cry: (it was intermittent fortunately so I didn't spend on it - traded it in)
Problems with a 2.0 no that cant be right surely :fuelfire: by the way love your car Marlon
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Tue May 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Ewazix wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:42 pm But for what it's worth when I test drove a 2.0 it felt more agile and less nose heavy than six's so I suspect it can punch above it's weight in the twisty stuff :thumbsup:
Bang on the mark! Steerings sharp and feedback is perfect.
On a Track like Brands it'll or Oulton Park it'll be awesome, Silverstone has too many long straights though. I have done loads of track days but not in the Z4, but general country road hoons. I seem to remember on a previous Essex and Herts Z4-forum meet the heavier cars could'nt hack the pace :driving:
blackabbot wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm My Facelift 2.0i sport has
6 speed box
M sport suspension
M sport multi function steering wheel
M sport Heated half leather seats
18" Alloys
just to name a few extras, not to shabby hey :D :driving:
Snap, but with full leather M Sport seats, and the uprated 10 speaker system. :thumbsup:
M sport multi function steering wheel = the extra chunky one too. :P

Theres other facelifts I've seen out there with Sat-Nav and cruise control from the shop.
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by paulgs1000 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Marlon wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 am Where's Paulgs1000 when you need him - he drives an ///M now but started in a 2 litre and . . . (well I will leave him to say)
Ha - thanks Marlon - it's nice to be recognised for supporting ownership of the 2 litre :lol:

Now then blackabbot - I was delighted to see your title and enjoyed reading through your well presented post :thumbsup:

I've always championed the 2 litre. I think it's an overlooked and maligned Zed. I had mine for 19 months and loved it! I didn't know what I was buying but fell in love with it on sight. It was only later, through this forum, that a learnt more about the Z4 and have consequently moved on to a 3.0si (brilliant Zed) and now the M version (that I'm slowly getting the way I want and learn more every drive).

It's disappointing that the thread has got a bit combative - I have to say that there are a lot of knowledgeable folk on this forum and they are well worth listening too. For me much of what has been posted makes sense - including that the 2 litre engine has it's issues - mainly exhaust manifolds cracking (my independent said he would weld it up if it did - it didn't) and Engine Management Lights which can be difficult to sort due to sensitive sensors (get a plug in and cancel). I don't know about the chain tensioner issues but I'm listening . . .

Despite that I find a lot of the comments about the 2 litre are more based upon it's lack of power and the perceived greater smoothness of the 6 cylinder motor. Regarding the lack of power, well on the road the driver can make a huge difference and I had great fun chasing 'bigger' engine Zeds on forum runs and revving out my 2 litre on the back roads of Northumberland - absolutely brilliant fun. I've also driven with some terrific 2 litre drivers (Chesherman, Geezer and others) that make the most of and have surprised quite a few with, the capabilities of their Zeds. I'm convinced the 2 litre handles better in some circumstances due to the lighter engine (and location of the engine as already mentioned). Keeping the engine on boil is all part of the fun of the 2 litre. I always found it a willing and smooth engine and can't understand when folk say the 6 cylinder is smoother - for a 4 pot I thought it was incredibly smooth and would rev all day at high revs then start the next morning ready for more - brilliant. The only roughness is with the slightly hunting tickover that seems at odds with the rest of the rev range (they all do it).

I came from a 6 year love affair with a Mk 2 MX5 and then the extreme of a TVR Chimeara to the Zed (all after years of motorcycles) - the 2 litre Zed offered terrific looks, fun involving handling, and relatively licence friendly top end commitment in the lower gears.
The only draw back was the gulf between 2nd and 3rd gear - changing down to second left too few revs to play with and changing up to 3rd dropped the revs too far - frustratingly didn't quite work - close ratio box anyone :cry:

I did move to a 3 litre after long consideration - so much was said about the character of the 6 cylinder that I had to try one - it took all of about 200 yards and a couple of roundabouts (to check the handling) before I was convinced :lol: Brilliant.

The M initially caused me more anguish (check my posts and see :o ) waited a long time for the M I wanted. I've found the M a very different kind of Zed and much of my initial concern about it has been answered by reinstating the rear muffler and back boxes - it's amazing how psychologically it's allowed me to use the higher rev range - probably tells you more about me than the M though. I was lucky enough to keep both my 3 litre and my M for 6 months before deciding which to keep. In the end it was the specialness of the M and it's greater capabilities that won me over - that and my wife felt it was a safer (in having more capability) sports car.

I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to have all 3 versions. Having a 3 litre made driving easier - extra punch for overtakes and a torquer engine at the bottom end. The M has made driving more interesting and challenging. I've enjoyed all three versions but would always champion the 2 litre as a great fun machine which needs the driver to make the very best of it and this can be done on the road - that's where the enjoyment and fun comes in. You have to be careful on the road in the 3 litre and the M (very careful) if you want to get near their potential. It's cheaper to run as well!

Would I be happy to return to a 2 litre - well yes of course! :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

ESP

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by ESP » Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 pm

paulgs1000 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:24 pm Would I be happy to return to a 2 litre - well yes of course! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

What do you know?
Wait until MACK see's this! He'll put you straight (he invented cars you know lol) :poke:
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 am

ESP wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 pm
paulgs1000 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:24 pm Would I be happy to return to a 2 litre - well yes of course! :thumbsup:

What do you know?
Wait until MACK see's this! He'll put you straight (he invented cars you know lol) :poke:
:rofl:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Wed May 24, 2017 12:57 am

blackabbot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 am
ESP wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 pm

What do you know?
Well there you go again with the snide comments and now you've got yourself a little cheerleader to revel in your 2.0 luvfest together. Hope you'll be very happy!

Interesting how you conveniently chose to ignore paulsg comment of;
"I did move to a 3 litre after long consideration - so much was said about the character of the 6 cylinder that I had to try one - it took all of about 200 yards and a couple of roundabouts (to check the handling) before I was convinced :lol: Brilliant."
and that was back when it actually cost a lot more to buy a 3.0. Seriously your claiming some sort of pathetic victory despite the guy saying 200 yards is all i took to ditch the 2.0. You in Politics? Just proves what I've been saying all along really, in the here and now, do I choose a 2.0 or 3.0 at the same sort of money :rofl: erm let me think?!

Seems you two definitely have a case of "small engine syndrome" and that was before I spotted the "M" badge on the rear of ESP's car in a photo in another thread ! How very sad, be careful, you know how the forumites react to a non m with an M badge. #Laughing stock!:headbang: :poke: :rofl: Oh my just bite the bullet man and buy yourself a geniune M! Your kidding no one. Your therapist will tell you "you know you wont be truly happy to you do!" :rofl: Oh no wait, I forgot you've got that Audi R8 :rofl: sorry I meant A1. :poke: #Billy BS

I didn't invent the car, but unlike you two clowns I'm clearly light years ahead in at least knowing something about what hell I'm talking about. Seriously posting MOT history as proof that a car hasn't had engine issues now WTF is that about, how ridiculous! As for ESP aka Mr Billy BS, enough said really!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Wed May 24, 2017 1:09 am

Thanks Paulgs1000 for a great reply, I was in two minds whether to start this thread in case I stirred up a hornets nest but I'm glad I did now, I love this forum the advice and humour is great, of course I know problems could arise down the road with my Z but I don't think any more so than with any other vehicle I've owned and when problems turn up I will deal with them (got a plug in just in case) The main reason for the thread was I was starting to feel like a poor relation on this forum for owning a four pot. I had a Lotus Europa in 1972 with the 1470cc Renault engine which was great fun but occasionally got a whiff of exhaust gas in the cab, To me the E85 is a thing of beauty loved it when it was first manufactured but only recently bought one, This car takes me back to my youth and has knocked years off me,Thanks fellas (ESP feeling the love brother) for the replies :D

blackabbot

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by blackabbot » Wed May 24, 2017 1:27 am

MACK wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:57 am
ESP wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:38 pm :thumbsup:

What do you know?
Well there you go again with the snide comments and now you've got yourself a little cheerleader to revel in your 2.0 luvfest together. Hope you'll be very happy!

"I did move to a 3 litre after long consideration - so much was said about the character of the 6 cylinder that I had to try one - it took all of about 200 yards and a couple of roundabouts (to check the handling) before I was convinced :lol: Brilliant."
and that was back when it actually cost a lot more to buy a 3.0. Seriously your claiming some sort of pathetic victory despite the guy saying 200 yards is all i took to ditch the 2.0. You in Politics? Just proves what I've been saying all along really, in the here and now, do I choose a 2.0 or 3.0 at the same sort of money :rofl: erm let me think?!

Seems you two definitely have a case of "small engine syndrome" and that was before I spotted the "M" badge on the rear of ESP's car in a photo in another thread ! How very sad, be careful, you know how the forumites react to a non m with an M badge. #Laughing stock!:headbang: :poke: :rofl: Oh my just bite the bullet man and buy yourself a geniune M! Your kidding no one. Your therapist will tell you "you know you wont be truly happy to you do!" :rofl: Oh no wait, I forgot you've got that Audi R8 :rofl: sorry I meant A1. :poke: #Billy BS

I didn't invent the car, but unlike you two clowns I'm clearly light years ahead in at least knowing something about what hell I'm talking about. Seriously posting MOT history as proof that a car hasn't had engine issues now WTF is that about, how ridiculous! As for ESP aka Mr Billy BS, enough said really!
Time to quit now fella your making a complete fool of yourself, you've given your opinion so just leave it :headbang:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Show the 2.0i some love

Post by MACK » Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 am

blackabbot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 1:27 am
MACK wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:57 am

Time to quit now fella your making a complete fool of yourself, you've given your opinion so just leave it :headbang:
Kettle - Pot! :poke: :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)