Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering wheel trim refurb service exchange .

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 23, 2017 11:22 am

Ok guys looks like there is a demand for this so I will try and help for those that want it .

Firstly I will say that this is just a hobbie for me and time as always is a demand on everyone lives , but I will try and turn these around as fast as I can for those that want it done.

All this work will be done on an exchange basis, the trims will be stripped of there original coating and prepared for painting in cellulose paint. This doesn't peel off like the original finish on the M trim sets. It will wear better, and not peel easily like plasidip does, after a few months , but it's not bullet proof either, it can still get damaged if you don't take reasonable care with rings, bracelets ,watches etc,on the surfaces, but it is much harder . The trims or buttons you return to me must be complete and not have any damage apart from the paint or coating. If you have cracked or otherwise damaged items please ask me first as I may still be able to help .

We all know that removing these trims you normally always break a clip or two or snap off a screw post . Normally snapped off posts can easily be glued back in place with some glue, fix in place with super glue and then strengthen with arildite or similar , remember someone else will be getting your trims ! I may withhold deposit if you aren't being fair .

I will ask for a deposit and payment, send you the refurbed items by RMSD and return your deposit when I receive your old items back . I am not selling these items too you , just doing an exchange program. I need your old items back to help the next forum member , I would ask that you return the old items within a week.

BMW costs

To buy a steering wheel trim set from BMW approximately £140.00
To buy a steering wheel button set from BMW approximately £250.00

Refurb exchange costs
Steering wheel button set £75.00
Steering wheel trim set,flappy paddle or standard with or without buttons £75.00

Deposit off £75.00 each set, so if you want buttons and trims, it's £300.00 , with £150 refunded when I get you old trims returned . If you want just trims or just buttons, it's £150.00 with £75 refunded when I get your old items back . I need your old items returned within one week . You are responsible for return postage costs, and items must be responsibly packed and sent with fully insured postage .

Collection
Steering wheel button pair £ 65.00
Steering wheel trim set, flappy paddle or standard with or without buttons ( button set additional ) £65.00

I would also mention that I am very close to Royals steering wheels. So if you wish I can deliver your refurb trim sets to them so they can be sent back with your retrimmed wheel , but this can only be done when Royals are ready to send you your wheel .

Colours
I have done a few sets of these already, most people want silver or black .

I can do

Satin Black ( semi-matt)
Matt Black
Silver

SILVER
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG (159.6 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
BLACK
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG (208.09 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
MATT Button and trims
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG (188.21 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
SATIN Button with original BMW trim
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG (177.33 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
I do not supply new M badges I mask around them ( though I can replace them , see the silver picture above,) as I haven't got a supply of them ( they are a different size ) but can modify a wheel badge to fit for an extra £5.00

All the above images are of M cars but I can do non M cars too.

Ok that's the good news, the bad news is I'm about to go on holiday (road trip to Europe again ) I will not be back until 12 June . So I cannot do anything until then.

I would ask for a PM if you want to take advantage of this service

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Great, right then. So I need to buy new trims as mine have snapped... I assume the best colour match for the buttons with OEM trim is matte ? I don't mind cleaning them.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue May 23, 2017 1:22 pm

I think this is a good service to have available. My two pence though is that exchange is an unnecessary complication. I know on demand my take a bit longer to turn around but then you don't have to worry about condition, deposits etc.

Having re-read, correct me if I'm wrong, I think £150 for trims and mfsw buttons pretty steep.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm

It would cost you £390 from BMW to replace all the parts - you cannot just buy the button surrounds & keep the old internals, you need to buy the whole units.

Plasti-dipping doesn't last, the buttons need to be properly painted.

A few years ago on my last car I had all my spokes & the buttons stripped & painted by a local paint shop and it cost £90. Actually I had to strip the rubber off first, which was a lot of elbow-grease with IPA. But that's a business, not a guy doing it in his spare time for the forum. I think given the alternatives £150 is a good price.

As for deposits & exchange... I for one don't want the car sitting without steering wheel trims for a week as I use it a lot. So it works for me.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Tue May 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:22 pm Having re-read, correct me if I'm wrong, I think £150 for trims and mfsw buttons pretty steep.
What do you think it should cost?

I bought new spike otrims ( discounted from BMW for £141 part number 32.34.8.035.326) before I new how good re finished ones looked so I would have happily paid £65 for a set if I'd known. I didn't buy the buttons because £250 was just silly to get rid of the scratches. Then I saw Bryan's refurbed set and Bobs your uncle :thumbsup:

People have a choice of spending a lot more and buying new, doing it themselves, or paying someone to do it for them. I certainly wouldn't do it for other people for the price Bryan's asking, it's not worth the time and hassle to me! JMO :)
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Having dealt with a few members here with various issues I have always done everything for free, no charge . Other members here tell me I'm mad , as does Mrs DCM . Stripping these button and trims can be time consuming , especially the buttons sections . If you do this yourself then just paint them yourself. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything , just offering a service to those that want it .

As has been mentioned the cost for new ones is over twice what I'm offering . I don't want to get into any silly keyboard warrior stuff with people telling me it's too steep, or it doesn't warrant an exchange service ( which is just to help members here out ) , but I can also do a straight refurb service too if needed if you don't mind a short wait .
Last edited by Dietcokeman on Tue May 23, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Bing wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm Great, right then. So I need to buy new trims as mine have snapped... I assume the best colour match for the buttons with OEM trim is matte ? I don't mind cleaning them.
What has snapped Bing ?

Yes Matt is the closest to original .

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue May 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Dietcokeman wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 2:34 pm
Bing wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm Great, right then. So I need to buy new trims as mine have snapped... I assume the best colour match for the buttons with OEM trim is matte ? I don't mind cleaning them.
What has snapped Bing ?

Yes Matt is the closest to original .
See here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89396&hilit=steering+wheel

The right-hand sdie one has a break at the bottom underneath the buttons as well. Weird, no idea how it happened. Been ages since I posted that thread though, I really should pull the finger out :oops:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue May 23, 2017 3:16 pm

For a set of buttons when you don't have them, good price. I think I got confused with the cost for doing them if you have buttons already? So if I sent a set of mfsw buttons and trims, same £75?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Bing I've sent you a PM

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Scooba Steve ....it's exchange mate works like this

I send you a set of refurbed buttons or trims or both and charge you £75.00 for each set plus £75.00 deposit for each set.
You remove your old ones and send them back to me and I refund you £75.00 for each set .

So you get a refurbed at £75.00 each set

Bmw cost is over 150 for trims and 250 for buttons

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Yeah, so I was reading it as £75 to do spokes and £75 for buttons, hence the wrong end of the stick. I get the deposit and if you offer just a return as well then happy days for that too.

stevespg

Post by stevespg » Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm Yeah, so I was reading it as £75 to do spokes and £75 for buttons, hence the wrong end of the stick. I get the deposit and if you offer just a return as well then happy days for that too.
i read this as 75 for the 3 spokes, plus 75 for the buttons. is that correct? tempted.
Z4 3.0si - gone
Z4MR - gone
E89 35i - gone

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue May 23, 2017 4:35 pm

I think you 'read it right' first time.

£75 for buttons. And £75 on top plus trims. i.e. £150 (£300 inc. deposit).

I think it's a great idea too. Not sure I'll ever take you up on it. But a good service to have much like the DLV exhaust mod... etc.

:)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Tue May 23, 2017 5:22 pm

stevespg wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 pm
Scooba_Steve wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm Yeah, so I was reading it as £75 to do spokes and £75 for buttons, hence the wrong end of the stick. I get the deposit and if you offer just a return as well then happy days for that too.
i read this as 75 for the 3 spokes, plus 75 for the buttons. is that correct? tempted.
Yes that's correct, plus a 150.00 refundable deposit when you send your set back .