Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

~50p per cc is now possible

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Savage

Post by Savage » Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am

It may be old news, but it is possible to buy a reasonable Z4 3.0 for around 50p per cc.

Yes, it has a couple of cosmetic issues but in all honesty, from 5 foot away you'd be hard pressed to see them, and certainly as it flies past you wouldn't :-)

It has a fairly basic spec (no heated seats but it has A/C), everything works as it should and as an entry into Z4 motoring (especially the 3 litre variety) it cost pocket money. It's an auto (my preference as my good lady had a car accident a few years back and finds manuals a pain (literally)) - but then again she has an SLK350 so she'll only use this at odd times.

I have some plans for some very light upgrades, but I have promised myself that this time I am not going to spend more on the car in mods than the price I paid for it - as I always seem to end up doing before selling it on so someone else gets the benefit.

First job - roof motor relocation, well no TBH I just bought a Bluetooth kit so I can stream music from the phone, and as that'll only take ~an hour to fit that'll be first. Then the roof motor, and then a Gaptech or similar.

I've decided against the back box delete I was considering, I did that on the SLK and the motorway drone is a tad irritating so don't fancy that on this.

I'd love to say this reminds me of the TVR, if it was going to remind me of any of them it would have been my old TVR "S" as they are similar in style and engine capacity, but this is too different, too refined to be compared.

It's a bit closer to my last Chimaera, but again it's a bit too refined for a direct comparison, and although the performance is similar this doesn't "feel" as fast (the refinement again LOL).

I had an SL55 after the last Chim (hateful car, dreadful P.O.S.) and sold that to buy a Smart Roadster, which I sold to a buddy for £2 per cc, so this is a bargain by that standard.

Z4.jpg
Z4.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 570 times

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:30 am

£1500? Bargain. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu May 25, 2017 11:33 am

Bargain was that a trade/auction purchase and what was the miles/service history/mot? Regardless well done and congrats although as an existing 3.0 owner I'm not sure if I should really be crying! :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Savage

Post by Savage » Thu May 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Private sale, the car had been stored in a barn since October. it is high mileage (154000) and an auto. It has a comprehensive history up to ~120,000 miles including a new Auto box around ~40k miles ago (It may actually be less than that but I don't have the paperwork in front of me) that box incidentally set the PO back almost £2k.

It has some rust issues (all 4 wings and the rear panel behind the roof), but the PO took great quality pictures and used them in his advert - unfortunately that put most people off - if you look at a high quality image of rust on a 24" monitor it looks huge!

There's 6 months MOT, the car was SORN (so no test drive which also put people off).

I took a bit of a punt, paid a deposit then insured and taxed the car so I could test drive it. It drove very well (typical tramlining issues with the runflats) but I'll replace them sometime in the near future.

I've done ~400 miles in it since picking it up on Sunday, I work ~80 miles from home so I stay away in a hotel in the week and I brought this with me instead of the Diesel Jag I normally use.

The only niggling issue is that the +ve battery lead keeps coming off when parked overnight, well it's happened TWICE so maybe not "keeps". I'll pop to Halfrauds on the way back to the hotel tonight and pick up a small toolkit and maybe a new battery clamp.

In all honesty at the price I paid it would have been silly to leave it there..

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Thu May 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Sounds like a bargain! Well done and welcome to the forum! :driving:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Great purchase OP - brave man!

Still it sounds like it is a fundamentally decent car - enjoy. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black