Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 3.0 Track car build

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Steve84N

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by Steve84N » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Hardtops look so much better in the right colour.

Interesting how you can tell the difference in stiffness, so many people claim they can't feel a difference between the coupe and roadster but clearly it's noticeable if you felt it with just a hardtop.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Yes its certainly noticeable! Less creaks and better steering

NeilP

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by NeilP » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:01 pm

oalloyd1 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:35 pm Cheers Dave that's exactly what I was thinking.

Am going to run a 17" square set-up (8.5J) - What tire size do you reckon is best considering i'll be dropping the car 30mm and need to avoid any scrubbage... I'd also like to fit some spacers but might that make the risk higher?

Thanks again,

o :)
This thread is awesome! Love the colour!

Been doing something similar with my e85 - been happy with the bc racing coils (in budget for you as well)

I've had a small amount of rubbing with my prorace 1.2 17x9 running a 255 section ns2r tyre - but then again, the tyre does run a lot wider

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:23 am

Cheers Neil! I'm really getting into this car :thumbsup:

OK how much is yours lowered by? Does the rubbing cause an issue? Does it rub on the inside or outside? Would rolling the arches help? I'll be running 17x8.5 so would that be less risk since yours are 9J? Thank you!

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm looking for these lower bushes, have you got a link?

Cheers!

Steve84N wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:35 am The Z4M offset front lower rear bushes are well worth it, they add castor so dynamic camber rather than static but it made a noticeable improvement to mid-corner grip for me. Makes me wonder if I should get camber plates after all as the grip has come from more camber.

Steve84N

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by Steve84N » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:07 pm

C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Fishy Dave

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by Fishy Dave » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Worth talking to Gary Feakins Racing: http://www.garyfeakinsracing.co.uk/
He is building the 3 litre Z4 race cars and supplies lightweight hardtops, LSD, lightweight looms, ECU and maps etc. etc. :thumbsup:
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks Steve! :)

Dave, yep have been in touch though still waiting on their quote :)

LordOxygen

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by LordOxygen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Have you made any decisions about the coilovers you're going to buy? Im thinking about getting a set for my car and not sure what to go for.

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 am

Hi all,

Yes LordO, have gone for the latest BC racing set-up - Have had a good experience on my E46 M3 with them and they come with good adjustable top mounts.

Have got all the bits together now with the exception of a couple of bushes and the coilovers yet to arrive so it'll all be going together later next week hopefully!

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:03 am

Hey all,

Its been a busy few weeks on the car so I thought i'd provide an update. The last couple of bits have arrived so the fun part of fitting could finally start.

First up was the front end - Coilovers on and 330 front brakes fitted on just fine and gave no issues. Ride height set at maximum for now, will get this adjusted and corner weighted in the next couple of weeks when the geo its done.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ ... D06BBC.jpg[/IMG]

The brakes look much better now behind the wheel. Will upgrade the pads shortly and paint the callipers black again also (red would clash with the colour :rofl: )

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ ... 973CEE.jpg[/IMG]

Next were the off-set lower arm bushes to provide more camber and my goodness they make a difference (though not so clear in the second pic)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ ... C12826.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ ... D3A8B3.jpg[/IMG]

Whilst I was at the front end the poly engine and gearbox mounts also went in along with the E46 M3 Powerflex anti-roll bar bushes
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ ... ACCC4E.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ ... CF43AC.jpg[/IMG]

Next up was rear end, with the powerflex poly trailing arm bushes going in, followed by the shorter differential, adjustable camber arms and rear coilovers. Its looking much better under there and i'm also going to Dinitrol it all once the set-up is doing to keep it look great for a long time to come.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ ... 4C1D78.jpg[/IMG]

Once that was all in I took it over for a nip around the block and was stoked at how well it drove - The diff especially is amazing! The poly mounts add a bit more vibration but thanks to the BC Racing coilovers and other aspects it feels super planted but not too uncomfortable on the road - a great result in my book and means i'll be inclined to use it more often. The extra angle on the front wheels means the steering feels even more responsive and there are no creaks or rattles at-all - most excellent!

Still a few more bits to do, namely the fitting of the 4 square 17" 8.5J set-up which is currently being powder coated black for a bit of extra swagger. They are then being wrapped in a new set of 255 profile RSR's to kill what little understeer there would be left. I'm also on the hunt for a pair of racing seats and harnesses which i'll fit when I take out the interior and change the diff oil and fitting a quality HID kit.

Its moving along nicely, I just need to give it a shake-down at Oulton Park as soon as possible to ensure all is set-up right for next month's trip to the 'Ring.

Cheers guys, all comments welcome.

o

Steve84N

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:03 am

Finally someone else who can feel the difference with mods, so many posts say rubbish like you'll never notice it on the road etc. I too immediately noticed an improvement with offset bushes, a strut brace also improves the steering if you haven't got one.

How are you going to get 255 in the front wheel arch as it doesn't usually fit 235 with lowering? I'd suggest a 245 for the rear, there's no need for a 255 with this much power. (A C63 runs 255 rear on the smaller wheels...)
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Cheers - Yep it does feel better!

I'll look out for the strut brace and with the new camber the tyres seems to be fitting fine at the front (famous last words!) I like them as wide as possible but will consider going down a size if they start to pub,

NeilP

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by NeilP » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Steve84N wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:03 am Finally someone else who can feel the difference with mods, so many posts say rubbish like you'll never notice it on the road etc. I too immediately noticed an improvement with offset bushes, a strut brace also improves the steering if you haven't got one.

How are you going to get 255 in the front wheel arch as it doesn't usually fit 235 with lowering? I'd suggest a 245 for the rear, there's no need for a 255 with this much power. (A C63 runs 255 rear on the smaller wheels...)
It's tight but possible to run 255 up front. When really pushing, I've noticed a difference having slightly more grip up front!

oalloyd1

Z4 3.0 Track car build

Post by oalloyd1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 am

Cheers Neil,

I've tried the 255 8.5 rears on and its all-good so i'm hopeful. Won;t go too crazy with the lowering and the camber adjustment that's now possible front & rear should hopefully help.

I've just ordered a stubby aerial, high quality HID kit and various HID bulbs to get it looking fresher. Have also had the new smaller 17" wheels powder coated gloss black and an going to colour match the front grills also. Calipers will be going gloss black at some point, too.

Have ordered an air scoop and looking at a cone filter also - Does anyone know the cone filter size i'd need?

Cheers all,