Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Custom Cruise Control Loom

Discount codes and service & product offerings from forum members
nick_l

Post by nick_l » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 pm

RyanB88 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 pm
nick_l wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:37 am I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they could offer. :thumbsup:

How did you get on with this?

Totally failed. Not called yet as have been manic at work. I'm off tomorrow so will call him then. I'll update tomorrow :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Supposedly my contacts have been dispatched, so should be here in a few days. Finger crossed they are correct. :cry:

Wafoo

Post by Wafoo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Is it to late to join this cc gang
2.2i prefacelift 05 plate
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Right

I finally have all the parts, with one small problem which I think I have a solution for if everybody is happy.

The connectors for the LCM are different to all the others and I cannot make them fit into a plug housing. However pushed together they form an interference fit anyway so I think they will be fine with heat shrink around them.

The male pin has around 10mm of penetration into the female socket (oh ah missues) so I can't see any issues once shrink wrapped.

Thoughts.
Attachments
2017-08-08 16.44.16.jpg
2017-08-08 16.44.16.jpg (258.34 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
2017-08-08 16.37.35.jpg
2017-08-08 16.37.35.jpg (280.95 KiB) Viewed 1781 times

mfrancis

Post by mfrancis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:15 pm

If you're happy then I'm happy.
With good instructions I'm sure we'll cope.
Well done so far.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:19 pm

Actually, best way to find out. I will heat shrink and do a tensile test (pull test).

Will report back later.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Heat shrink tube applied, and it aint going anywhere. :D

Right, better start building some looms up.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Looking good :thumbsup:

Anybody know if Nick got anywhere with Sopers? Need a stalk but will hold off if there is potential for a group buy.

If a call still needs to be made I can make the call tomorrow and get a rough guesstimate of cost.

If it is me that calls I'll ask if for a price for 5, 10 and 20?
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:07 pm

I asked for a price for 3 a couple of months ago and the difference was pennies. Wouldn't cover the cost of posting out.

Just checked, 2.5% so about £2.60 each. Not worth the hassle organising and posting out imo.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I'll get one sorted for myself and then I'm ready when you are :)

I don't think £100ish is a bad price for the stalk anyway to be fair, especially from BMW.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

mfrancis

Post by mfrancis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Sorry to sound like a stuck record but I got a used one, in mint condition, for £11!
Got to be worth a try?
That means I can pay loads for my loom, lol!

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm

srhutch wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:47 pm Right

I finally have all the parts, with one small problem which I think I have a solution for if everybody is happy.

The connectors for the LCM are different to all the others and I cannot make them fit into a plug housing. However pushed together they form an interference fit anyway so I think they will be fine with heat shrink around them.

The male pin has around 10mm of penetration into the female socket (oh ah missues) so I can't see any issues once shrink wrapped.

Thoughts.
Looking at your wires and the crimping, the wire gauge and outer diameter look to large for the terminals, you will struggle to get these into a TE connector housing. Even with the right gauge thinwall cable, they have to be very carefully crimped in order to get the pins into the housing. It is often better with TE connectors to buy the pins pre-crimped by BMW and then solder sleeve them to your own wires. It is more expensive but the connection integrity is so much higher. I hear your point earlier about the wires all being black, but it really isn't an issue, the cruise switch connector uses three wires, one to ground, one to aux and one to the EMS ECU, they will all be different lengths and so will be error proof in installation. All you need to do is bus them through when assembled, which you should be doing regardless.

To give an indication of how much of a non issue same colour wiring is I once had to make a custom harness for a Marlin Kitcar I was building. There was no way I could have afforded multiple colour wires, so I bought a 100m reel of 0.75mm, two 100m reels of 1.5mm and 100m of 2.5mm thinwall cable in the same colour and used identification tags each end. It took longer to make than having wires in different colours, but it worked fine.

I have decided I will make my own harness so you can take me off the list. Not because of your post but because I have decided to make modifications to the Z4 distribution anyway I have an increasing number of electrical gizmos that need an aux feed, so I have a fair few custom harnesses to make anyway, one extra won't make too much difference.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 pm
srhutch wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:47 pm Right

Thoughts.
Looking at your wires and the crimping, the wire gauge and outer diameter look to large for the terminals, you will struggle to get these into a TE connector housing. Even with the right gauge thinwall cable, they have to be very carefully crimped in order to get the pins into the housing. It is often better with TE connectors to buy the pins pre-crimped by BMW and then solder sleeve them to your own wires. It is more expensive but the connection integrity is so much higher. I hear your point earlier about the wires all being black, but it really isn't an issue, the cruise switch connector uses three wires, one to ground, one to aux and one to the EMS ECU, they will all be different lengths and so will be error proof in installation. All you need to do is bus them through when assembled, which you should be doing regardless.

To give an indication of how much of a non issue same colour wiring is I once had to make a custom harness for a Marlin Kitcar I was building. There was no way I could have afforded multiple colour wires, so I bought a 100m reel of 0.75mm, two 100m reels of 1.5mm and 100m of 2.5mm thinwall cable in the same colour and used identification tags each end. It took longer to make than having wires in different colours, but it worked fine.

I have decided I will make my own harness so you can take me off the list. Not because of your post but because I have decided to make modifications to the Z4 distribution anyway I have an increasing number of electrical gizmos that need an aux feed, so I have a fair few custom harnesses to make anyway, one extra won't make too much difference.
Not using that wire. That was a test loom. Wire will be same size as oem wire.

All looms will be checked for continuity before shipping, so there will be no issues with connections.

Fogwan1983

Post by Fogwan1983 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Definitely interested. Once again, idiot proof guide would be appreciated please bud. :thumbsup:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Fogwan1983 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm Definitely interested. Once again, idiot proof guide would be appreciated please bud. :thumbsup:
The OEM guide plus my instructions will be provided. Starting production on Friday. Liking to bring some to zed fest and will be contacting those that shown an interest in the next few days.