Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HID's and Mot

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Leesfarm07

HID's and Mot

Post by Leesfarm07 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Got an Mot booked tomorrow and I've recently fitted an 'HID directs' 35w kit. I know the mot requirement is auto adjusters and headlamp washers, both of which I havent got, but was hoping it wouldn't be noticed. Anyone been failed on this yet? Don't really want to have to re'fit the halogens just for the test
Current
2012 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG Sport auto in black
Westfield SE 1800 Zetec on twin 45's Aldon-Tuned pocket rocket in orange
Gone but not forgotten my lovely Zed 2.5

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

HID's and Mot

Post by ranski » Fri May 26, 2017 6:26 pm

I've had HIDs installed in my OEM halogen headlights for 4 years and passed all MOT's, albeit I do have the headlight washers

I dont think you have anything to worry about, if it fails just put back in your old bulbs for the retest

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

HID's and Mot

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 pm

I can pull the reference if you want - essentially you must have washers and levelling. Where a component cannot be tested then you get the benefit of the doubt, so as the burners can't be seen behind the lens and the levelling can't effectively be tested, you should pass.

I've passed 2 with no issues. It also helps that the beam pattern is good.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Leesfarm07

HID's and Mot

Post by Leesfarm07 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:23 pm

[quote=ranski

I dont think you have anything to worry about, if it fails just put back in your old bulbs for the retest
[/quote]
Yes im half expecting to do that... I have the facelift bumper with the washer cut outs but the caps are bonded shut :rofl:
Current

Leesfarm07

HID's and Mot

Post by Leesfarm07 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 pm I can pull the reference if you want - essentially you must have washers and levelling. Where a component cannot be tested then you get the benefit of the doubt, so as the burners can't be seen behind the lens and the levelling can't effectively be tested, you should pass.

I've passed 2 with no issues. It also helps that the beam pattern is good.
Thats interesting to know.
So far just seeing the light output on the drive they look so much better than halogens
Current

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

HID's and Mot

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri May 26, 2017 11:12 pm

I very much doubt the screen washer is run enough times to check the headlamp washers work, so benefit of the doubt again.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

HID's and Mot

Post by MACK » Sat May 27, 2017 12:58 am

I know when a lot of MOT tester's see a car and know its actually got HID's retrofitted they "play dumb" on this. Most notice the difference if it a decent kit giving decent light but don't think its a big deal. Unless you get a real stickler for the rules you'll probably be fine. One thing I will say is if it does fail its could be awkward taking it to another station "around the corner" and playing dumb. As soon as they enter your cars details on the system they have access to previous MOT history/fails etc so might see what your doing. Then again they might not be bothered anyway!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Darkangelv2

HID's and Mot

Post by Darkangelv2 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 am

MOT passes fine on mine. Our cars have the same correct projectors on both halogen and xenon lights so the beam pattern is good either way. Perfectly safe in my opinion.
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

HID's and Mot

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am

MACK wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:58 am I know when a lot of MOT tester's see a car and know its actually got HID's retrofitted they "play dumb" on this. Most notice the difference if it a decent kit giving decent light but don't think its a big deal. Unless you get a real stickler for the rules you'll probably be fine. One thing I will say is if it does fail its could be awkward taking it to another station "around the corner" and playing dumb. As soon as they enter your cars details on the system they have access to previous MOT history/fails etc so might see what your doing. Then again they might not be bothered anyway!
I'm not sure they play dumb per se - I know from the output when a lamp has HIDs fitted, so expect testers to know too, but as they can't dismantle to prove and the manual says to give the benefit of the doubt for the washers and levellers, believe that's what they do. If the beam was all over the place it would defo fail - think a Barry boy Corsa with reflector lenses.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

HID's and Mot

Post by MACK » Sat May 27, 2017 11:25 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am
MACK wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:58 am I know when a lot of MOT tester's see a car and know its actually got HID's retrofitted they "play dumb" on this. Most notice the difference if it a decent kit giving decent light but don't think its a big deal. Unless you get a real stickler for the rules you'll probably be fine. One thing I will say is if it does fail its could be awkward taking it to another station "around the corner" and playing dumb. As soon as they enter your cars details on the system they have access to previous MOT history/fails etc so might see what your doing. Then again they might not be bothered anyway!
I'm not sure they play dumb per se - I know from the output when a lamp has HIDs fitted, so expect testers to know too, but as they can't dismantle to prove and the manual says to give the benefit of the doubt for the washers and levellers, believe that's what they do. If the beam was all over the place it would defo fail - think a Barry boy Corsa with reflector lenses.
I agree, if the patterns all over the place and they can't correct it then's its failing anyway. Hopefully as Darkangel's said the projectors are the same on zeds so he should be OK (fingers crossed for the OP!)
Seen this happen first hand at my mates garage when a customer brought in a car with halogens he had somehow managed to wedge the wrong type of bulb in it damaging the headlight fitting and need a replacement. Beam pattern was terrible, surprise, surprise. I guess its all down to circumstances and the attitude of the tester. I've never heard of a tester ever been taken to task by the Police/VOSA over a HID issue and I suppose all the would have to do is say "they weren't fitted when I tested it" or "it wasn't obviously fitted with aftermarket HID's" etc
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Leesfarm07

HID's and Mot

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:33 am

It's just gone in and as it's been standing for 6 months I'm expecting maybe a few niggles. I'm up at Severn Valley motorsport in Telford where I always go. They've got some pretty impressive GTR's here
Current

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

HID's and Mot

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat May 27, 2017 12:00 pm

You'll be fine. In the Zed, as it uses projectors, rather than a traditional reflector to shape the beam. I find on mine, with 55w HID's fitted, the beam pattern is perfect, and they are actually really good compared to the OEM candles...

Mine does have washers, but TBH I'd be surprised if the tester spots yours.

Mike

Leesfarm07

HID's and Mot

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:03 pm

These are quite an old set from HID's direct so only 35w. Haven't been able to see the 'on the road' difference but if they're better I might invest in some 55w
Current

Leesfarm07

HID's and Mot

Post by Leesfarm07 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Dam and Blast. :cry: failed on brake pipes front to rear and advisories on other brake pipes...headlights ni probs :D
Current