Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help required please - hydraulics of roof not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
powerade

Post by powerade » Sun May 28, 2017 9:36 am

Hi All,

Ive taken upon myself the task of replacing my roof motor, which stopped working due to water ingress. I bought a new motor, pulled the car to pieces and swapped the motor over and tested it. This is where i have hit an issue, i am testing the roof out of the car, the motor spins in both directions but the roof doesn't move :headbang:

So at the moment, i'm putting it down to the hydraulic system but i was wondering if anyone has seen/experienced this before and if they could give me some guidance.

A couple of points:
The roof moves freely so isn't seized
There doesn't appear to be that much hydraulic fluid in the pot, when upright its only just above half - do i need to top that up?
Ive read on tinternet it may be an airlock but it wasn't clear how to get the air out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me absolutely mad.

Many thanks

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Sun May 28, 2017 9:52 am

The manual release cable hasn't been pulled to manually move the roof has it? Parcel shelf microswitch?
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:03 am

You could top the fluid up a little. Is it the right fluid? Vg22 i think it was, or jack fluid. It should bleed automatically. Are you relocating?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

powerade

Post by powerade » Sun May 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Thank you for the replies, the manual release cable isn't in the pulled position but I wonder if the motor may have seized in the 'pulled' position as i can manually move the roof up and down. i did have the cable in the pulled position for a while as i didn't bother replacing the motor over the winter.

I haven't added or changed the fluid, it is the original fluid that was in there, i only replaced the actual motor. I will try and top the fluid up, do i need to fill it up right to the top?

Im not planning on doing the motor relocation at the moment, i dont know how to do it and to be honest just want to get the thing working first!

Thanks again.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun May 28, 2017 3:53 pm

If you did a motor change, you could have moved it to the boot then, this is regarded as the best and safest place to stick the motor.
Where are you in the country.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981