Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

wheel refurb

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
domsz4

wheel refurb

Post by domsz4 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:42 am

so i've stopped taking the westfield apart and although I have a whole set of suspension/shocks/dash/rollbars to swap out the fact that its running and hasnt properly for 2 yrs is stopping me.

ive turned my attention to the set of 108's i have. ive separated them and was wondering whats best to get the old paint/powercoat off.
it think its paint as is flaking easily so was going to use paint stripper but would nitromoors touch powder coat of is that a bead blasting job?
Proud Whip owner ;)

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

wheel refurb

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 28, 2017 11:03 am

Not knowing, I'd assume media blasting of some sort would be the best way to strip them back?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Crazy Harry

wheel refurb

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 am

Were you going to refurb yourself or have a firm do it?

If you're going to get a firm to finish it they will probably want to do their own prep anyway so might be easier to let them strip the old coating and use the value of your time doing something else - err... :driving:

domsz4

wheel refurb

Post by domsz4 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:28 am

kinda wanted to do it myself, sort of a project to keep me out of trouble... and lets face it who doesnt like the smell of spray paint :) they will have to be painted due to the damage done when they were sent to me packaged in the shittiest manor you can imagine.

and if all else fails and it looks s**t then i can always take them somewhere to be rectified at least at that point they will be separated.
Proud Whip owner ;)

domsz4

wheel refurb

Post by domsz4 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:49 pm

just an update .... a paint stripper with a high di chloromethane content will do the job. but be careful its nasty stuff

https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/starc ... B7L4R.dpbs
Proud Whip owner ;)