Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Double Din Fasica Progress [UPDATED: 1st September 2017]

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Double Din Fasica Progress [UPDATED: 1st September 2017]

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 pm

UPDATED/RESULTS POST: viewtopic.php?p=1461123#p1461123

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have just bought myself a Z4 and posted in the newbie section after lurking for about 2 weeks. I love my Pioneer SPH-DA120 so intend to design a Double Din fascia as I have a few 3D Printers. Due to the printable area size, the fascia will be printed in 2 halves but then would be glued together with epoxy weld for example. The front could then just be vinyl wrapped for a quick easy "finish".

The design is currently in progress. I've taken the design idea from a few pics posted amongst these forums and off google images. I'm hoping to make a fixture of sorts so that the 2 parts could clip together - however in my initial test that didn't really work as expected as the workable area on the design is too small for the printer to get any detail and therefore the joint was too weak so I will come back to joints later.

Let me know what you think :)

Here is an early screenshot of the design:
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 22.50.29.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 22.50.29.png (156.13 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
And here is a preview of it "in place" My measurements were a fraction out so the left couldn't fit it flush but it was a very early print test for exactly that reason.... to check sizing :)
IMG_1183.jpg
IMG_1183.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
Last edited by IAmOrion on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Ant

Double Din Fasica Progress

Post by Ant » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:55 pm

looking good, I'll be very interested in printing one of these out!

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Ant wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:55 pm looking good, I'll be very interested in printing one of these out!
Thanks! I welcome any feedback if you have any advice or ideas?

Do you have a 3D Printer yourself?
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 pm
Ant wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:55 pm looking good, I'll be very interested in printing one of these out!
Thanks! I welcome any feedback if you have any advice or ideas?

Do you have a 3D Printer yourself?
Not at home , wouldn't get the use out of it to make the expense of having a personal one worthwhile, i'd just end up printing out useless stuff for the craic tbh, but i'm a tech architect so i've a few lads i know with working in I.T with access to them in work to print something out of needs be, or there's always the online services that seem to be alright.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Ant wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm Not at home , wouldn't get the use out of it to make the expense of having a personal one worthwhile, i'd just end up printing out useless stuff for the craic tbh, but i'm a tech architect so i've a few lads i know with working in I.T with access to them in work to print something out of needs be, or there's always the online services that seem to be alright.
Ahh gotchya - cool. Once I've finished I will offer the files freely to people so they can print themselves etc :)

I'm still new at the "CAD" type stuff so I use basic software - 123D Design in this case as I don't get on with Fusion360. Just means stuff takes me longer to draw up but thus far I've managed
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Pugwash69

Post by Pugwash69 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 pm

It's a good idea. I was fabricating a double DIN for my other car but the Pioneer AppRadio unit I had was a bit of a disappointment. It had limited apps that worked and I had to root my phone and buy a custom app to enable all of the Android apps. They may have listened to their customers in recent years and made it better?
I decided to make a holder for a 7" android tablet instead.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Pugwash69 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 pm It's a good idea. I was fabricating a double DIN for my other car but the Pioneer AppRadio unit I had was a bit of a disappointment. It had limited apps that worked and I had to root my phone and buy a custom app to enable all of the Android apps. They may have listened to their customers in recent years and made it better?
I decided to make a holder for a 7" android tablet instead.
AppRadio as far as I know is still shite. But these head units (SPH-DA120) have Apple Car Play so you can mirror the iPhone and use apps natively on the headunit. The iPhone is jailbroken too, so I can use ANY app (whereas normally you only have access to few specific apps built for car play)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 pm

What happens to the air vents/blowers on a double din? How do you seal them off/stop the air blowing?
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 pm

RyanB88 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 pm What happens to the air vents/blowers on a double din? How do you seal them off/stop the air blowing?
You don't! lol

At least not in this design. As I progress I might find a way to design something, but that's more complicated so would need help, a teamwork kinda thing, or just more time to learn :)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:09 pm

i'd suggest trying to 3d print some caps for them to block it off and doing a ventless version maybe as a test, hot hair blowing around the headunit isn't going to be a great thing either even it has a place to escape

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Ant wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:09 pm i'd suggest trying to 3d print some caps for them to block it off and doing a ventless version maybe as a test, hot hair blowing around the headunit isn't going to be a great thing either even it has a place to escape
Yes, I have a ventless version too, but the hot air would be an issue - however that would an issue regardless of what double din unit you use and any fabricated fascia. I could look to make a blanking plate for the fan duct that could used perhaps along side a ventless design. Not sure on best idea for the vented design. VERY limited space - I Think once I get an idea of depth etc once installed I may be able to make something to block the rear of the stereo and divert the airflow to the vents.

One step at a time though eh ;)
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Ant

Post by Ant » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm

aye that's what i mean, blanking plate/cap for the vent behind the stereo and a ventless design fascia is prob the easiest solution overall, it's a decent squeeze back there with all the iso cables etc even in my single din version

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Ant wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm aye that's what i mean, blanking plate/cap for the vent behind the stereo and a ventless design fascia is prob the easiest solution overall, it's a decent squeeze back there with all the iso cables etc even in my single din version
Yeah, I think in order to fit a Double Din I'm going to have to chop some of the vent off anyways.... will see soon enough. I'm fortunate enough to have the Sat Nav version, which is a blessing in disguise, as I'll be able to remove the screen unit to see my depth etc :D
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Pugwash69

Post by Pugwash69 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 am

Forgot to mention, the AppRadio I had is quite deep! In my TT it could just about squeeze into the dash. I tried it in my van where there's lots of room behind the plastic and it was fine. I took it back out though, as the lack of physical buttons was distracting (van radio is too far from the driver).

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Interested! Always liked he idea of having a double din but never had 1!! Hopefully this can be refined and work well!