Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The 3.0si - the lovable sports car underdog (or so it says)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
kammy1975

Post by kammy1975 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm

I don't get to use my Z4 coupe much, largely due to kids and using train for commute, but was at Mercedes World yesterday for a track day and decided to drive down from Hudds the night before and stay over. Leaving at 6pm meant traffic had died down and made for a relaxing cruise. Messed around with different speeds over 10mile distances, but found car returned best mpg using cruise at around 72-73mph. Average on display for the 221 mile journey - 44.8mpg ! Thats amazing for an 11 year old car with a 3.0litres straight six. Return journey was not so good as I found myself stuck on the M25 for almost 2 hours, but for the return leg it managed to average out at around 39.2mpg. All done on a single fill of VPower !

What was best of all was that i got out after the long journey back, and felt remarkably fresh ! Almost as though I could do it all again ! Never expected that when i bought it.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:13 pm

kammy1975 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm I don't get to use my Z4 coupe much, largely due to kids and using train for commute, but was at Mercedes World yesterday for a track day and decided to drive down from Hudds the night before and stay over. Leaving at 6pm meant traffic had died down and made for a relaxing cruise. Messed around with different speeds over 10mile distances, but found car returned best mpg using cruise at around 72-73mph. Average on display for the 221 mile journey - 44.8mpg ! Thats amazing for an 11 year old car with a 3.0litres straight six. Return journey was not so good as I found myself stuck on the M25 for almost 2 hours, but for the return leg it managed to average out at around 39.2mpg. All done on a single fill of VPower !

What was best of all was that i got out after the long journey back, and felt remarkably fresh ! Almost as though I could do it all again ! Never expected that when i bought it.
I use V Power and never get anywhere near 44mpg. Best I've had is around 39mpg and that was on A1 with cruise control on!

kammy1975

Post by kammy1975 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:31 pm

idej_jedi wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:13 pm
I use V Power and never get anywhere near 44mpg. Best I've had is around 39mpg and that was on A1 with cruise control on!
When I got the car, it would easily do 42.8mpg (obviously this is what the computer is claiming!) but this dropped when I put the 19"s on, and was slightly worse on my second set of 19s, using cruise control and over the same roads. Put it down to external temps etc, but having moved back to 18"s and running the factory widths of 225 Front and 255 Rears, rather than the 235/265 I was running with the 19s, I can't help but think this is a factor. I did the spark plugs, filters, oil etc all when I was running 19s so the only thing that's changed is wheels and lowered suspension. Can't see the lowering having any impact.

Do remember that mine is an Auto, so there will always be differences between our cars.

Brimmed the car to get the real mpg (rather than rely on OBC) and it worked out at just over 39mpg, which is good considering the return leg would have impacted the average, and the OBC will be overreading by a few mpg.

Just bought a M Sport steering wheel, so hopefully the extra thickness and weight doesn't impact my mpg !!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:36 pm

kammy1975 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:31 pm
idej_jedi wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:13 pm
When I got the car, it would easily do 42.8mpg (obviously this is what the computer is claiming!) but this dropped when I put the 19"s on, and was slightly worse on my second set of 19s, using cruise control and over the same roads. Put it down to external temps etc, but having moved back to 18"s and running the factory widths of 225 Front and 255 Rears, rather than the 235/265 I was running with the 19s, I can't help but think this is a factor. I did the spark plugs, filters, oil etc all when I was running 19s so the only thing that's changed is wheels and lowered suspension. Can't see the lowering having any impact.

Do remember that mine is an Auto, so there will always be differences between our cars.

Brimmed the car to get the real mpg (rather than rely on OBC) and it worked out at just over 39mpg, which is good considering the return leg would have impacted the average, and the OBC will be overreading by a few mpg.

Just bought a M Sport steering wheel, so hopefully the extra thickness and weight doesn't impact my mpg !!
You'll love the M steering wheel - where did you find it?
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Status

Post by Status » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am

I love the coupe shape,to me it's the nearest thing shape-wise to my Datsun 260 Z,just getting to grips and learning a few things from you guys about my coupe,not read the article yet

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 am

Status wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am I love the coupe shape,to me it's the nearest thing shape-wise to my Datsun 260 Z,just getting to grips and learning a few things from you guys about my coupe,not read the article yet
You're in the right place if you're looking for some great insight into your coupe - there is a lot of love for the coupe on here. :thumbsup:

Status

Post by Status » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:43 am

I've always fancied one,they look so sexy from behind,better than a lot of women that think they look good in tight jeans,the hairdressers version is one of the best looking convertibles going along with the Nissan 350/370 z but not for me as it would mess my hair up,just gave it a polish,up to snowdonia in it on the 30 th for a few days ,fitting a pair of F 1 s on the front so should be better to drive

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:55 am

I have to admit I have grown more and more fond of the coupe over the time I've owned the convertible (no stupid top motor to replace for a start, although it seems the rusting hatch is a coupe 'exclusive'). As others have said, the coupe has aged exceptionally well, and still turns heads when out and about :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Status

Post by Status » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:50 am

Well on ln snowdonia ( Portmadog ) and must say the new F 1 s I put on have made it a joy to drive,apologies to the guy in the white Z ,I did see you and did wave back,was having trouble with me phone,and I didn't know where I was

JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 pm

There's not a lot that can compete at the price and running costs (no scary bills) that is quick enough, looks good, feels special and has the rarity factor. I keep toying with the idea of swapping for something v8 powered but I'm pretty sure I'd regret it. Mine is on 86k and still feels solid and capable and has very little go wrong outside of routine maintenance, just the water pump in fact. I usually get around 35mpg on a motorway run but that's at 80 and in an auto so pretty happy with that. And most importantly, i can fit my downhill bike in the boot! Z4C for the win!