Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My steering wheel refurbishment

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Looking great - good work there :thumbsup:
I struggled like hell removing the air bag first time - like you I almost gave up, as mentioned its knowing where to push and how much pressure.
I plasti-dipped mine - mistake! It rubs up too easily, thought it would be ok cos I have no buttons but will have to take them off at some point and spray as you and srhutch have.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 am

[IMG]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a49 ... jor7wl.jpg[/IMG]

Mine with new wheel t pieces
With the usual I thought button covers came with it. No!

Then Bryan diet coke swapped out my buttons for some he had already refurbed and outcome
Awesome:)

85genius

Post by 85genius » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:53 am

All back together, I've got a couple of notes about the process but I'll write them later I want to go enjoy the sunshine now

[IMG]http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... ihmgnp.jpg[/IMG]
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Very neat - well done, great work James :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Looks very good! Fancy doing mine? :p
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

D4dawg

Post by D4dawg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Great outcome bud

85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Appreciate the comments guys! Really happy with the outcome its such an improvement over what I had...

So on to the notes about the process and what I'd change if I was to do it again....

I'll start with the paint, this is what I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262623852897? ... EBIDX%3AIT To say it was difficult is an understatement! The finish was decent but actually using the rattle can was a massive PITA!! Normally with a spray can you just use your index finger on the nozzle but my can was so stiff I had to use 2 hands and was pressing with my thumbs to be able to put enough constant pressure down on the nozzle to get the paint to come out smooth.

I did just re read the advert and saw that they state in the listing "To achieve an even better finish and eject more paint from the can, consider a spray gun trigger (Available in our eBay store)" and to be honest I didn't take any notice of that when ordering but now it makes sense, although probably should have read "this stuff is a bloody nightmare to use unless you buy a spray gun trigger" So thinking about it I would probably uxe this paint again, but absolutely no chance Id even try without one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spray-Paint-A ... Swax5Yy9m2

Also trying to get it all done in a day is probably not the best idea, there are a couple of minor imperfections one from dust lading on the paint before it was touch dry and another from a little bit of splatter before I realised I needed top hold the can with 2 hands and use both thumbs. I would really have liked to be able to very lightly sand again on those areas before the next coat but I was going out at 6pm and needed the car the following morning so just didn't have time.

Also on spraying, I definitely made it more difficult for myself around the edges by having the pieces flat on the surface, I could have made some little stands with cardboard and stuck the parts to them with blutac to raise them up to make the edges much easier to coat smoothly.

Also I wasn't careful enough removing the masking tape, I lifted a tiny bit of the finish around the //M badge I touched it in by spraying some paint directly into the lid of the can and using a very fine paint brush but could have been better if I'd just been more careful...

All in all though really happy with the result for a total of £4.49 spent using a few other bits I already had in I have made a massive improvement to my cars interior, just wish I'd known to spend the extra £2.70 on the gun attachment

85genius

Post by 85genius » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:12 pm

And a slightly better photo as the last one was with the top down

[IMG]http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... drxlaq.jpg[/IMG]

blackabbot

Post by blackabbot » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Great Job, now I will have to do got to do mine :thumbsup:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Looks good guys. Mine are looking tatty. I keep putting it off as I'm scared of the airbag. This has given me motivation though :D
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:25 am

85genius wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:38 pm Also I wasn't careful enough removing the masking tape, I lifted a tiny bit of the finish around the //M badge I touched it in by spraying some paint directly into the lid of the can and using a very fine paint brush but could have been better if I'd just been more careful...
This is a job I'm going to have to tackle at some point. Was removing the M badge not an option? I'm presuming you could then either refix with glue or double sided tape, or buy new (if available anywhere)?
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

85genius

Post by 85genius » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:34 am

z4pilot wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:25 am
85genius wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:38 pm Also I wasn't careful enough removing the masking tape, I lifted a tiny bit of the finish around the //M badge I touched it in by spraying some paint directly into the lid of the can and using a very fine paint brush but could have been better if I'd just been more careful...
This is a job I'm going to have to tackle at some point. Was removing the M badge not an option? I'm presuming you could then either refix with glue or double sided tape, or buy new (if available anywhere)?
I did consider removing it but its such a small space to fit it in any paint build up could have made it not fit right also was worried about sticking it back and glue coming out of the sides and ruining the finish... Double sided tape I wrote off as I thought it would end up with the badge dropping off...

I was working on a guess its the same size as a alloy wheel M badge but that was just a guess I saw a few others had masked for refurb and got good results so I just copied that

JAD

Post by JAD » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 am

srhutch wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:05 pm TBH your original finish looks original, very much doubt they have been touched before.

This is how mine look now after spraying and applying a soft touch lacquer.
Chap could you let me know which paint you used, as well as which soft touch lacquer? First time I've heard of the stuff...

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Great job. I've bought everything needed to do mine - hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Gone with vinyl primer and bumper paint to try and get the most durable coating I can. Also interested in the soft touch lacquer though.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone