Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof motor

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor

Post by Number5 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 am

The relocated Motor
Motor relocated.JPG
Motor relocated.JPG (110.09 KiB) Viewed 1122 times

amd the false panel to hide it away
IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG (107.86 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
If any one else needs it sorted in the Bristol area, feel free to send me a PM
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

ESP

Roof motor

Post by ESP » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:20 pm

:? This thread is suggesting 'Not to worry if your roof motor fails' - FALSE! :thumbsdown:

From my own experiences and other forum members and Z4 owners i know its not as straight forward, and the Almost 100% records being touted about are more like 70-30.

Yes there are some great examples of heavily corroded motors being rejuvenated, but theres plenty that are not salvageable especially if the small internal circuit board becomes corroded.

Ive had my motor relocated by a forum member, and i am very happy with the job, but the motor was f@$ked, so i purchased a reconditioned one from www.roofmotors.co.uk for £170.

Obviously i am now going to get told other wise, but i think its irresponsible to inform new forum members there virtually always fixable.
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 pm

ESP wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:20 pm :? This thread is suggesting 'Not to worry if your roof motor fails' - FALSE! :thumbsdown:

From my own experiences and other forum members and Z4 owners i know its not as straight forward, and the Almost 100% records being touted about are more like 70-30.

Yes there are some great examples of heavily corroded motors being rejuvenated, but theres plenty that are not salvageable especially if the small internal circuit board becomes corroded.

Ive had my motor relocated by a forum member, and i am very happy with the job, but the motor was f@$ked, so i purchased a reconditioned one from www.roofmotors.co.uk for £170.

Obviously i am now going to get told other wise, but i think its irresponsible to inform new forum members there virtually always fixable.
Sorry, but I disagree. I have done in excess of 150 repairs/relocations, and have seen some very sorry motors. Corroded circuit boards with broken tracks, brush leads turned to powder and capacitors fallen to bits. WITHOUT EXCEPTION, I have repaired EVERY one. Some take longer than others, especially where the brush leads have rotted away, but they have all been successfully repaired by me. Without mentioning names, there is even another member on here that relocates motors, and has actually sent some to me for repair as they couldn't get them going, again all of those were returned working to them.

So I think in fact, that I am pretty well placed to be able to say that I can repair them, because my record IS 100%.

Mike

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor

Post by Number5 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Well I personally can't boast the same success record as Mike (DLV).

I'd say I've probably done about 20-25 motors and have had 2 that wouldn't spin at all and 2 that would only spin intermittently without needing a helping hand. (Worn bushes meaning it depended where they stopped as to whether they'd start again unaided)

Therefore my success rate on reviving rusty motors is probably about 85%

Some will go but I don't know if the owners have then had to change them subsequently, which is easier once they are accessible. I'm sure some will work repeatedly immediately after some TLC and relocation when they leave me, but try them again after standing still a week or two and they may not be so reliable.

The whole point of moving it is to future protect it but also to make it accessible if it does need changing at any point there on.
Last edited by Number5 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Number5 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:06 pm Well I personally can't boast the same success record as Mike (DLV).

I'd say I've probably done about 20-25 motors and have had 2 that wouldn't spin at all and 2 that would only spin intermittently without needing a helping hand. (Worn bushes meaoning it depended where they stopped as to whether they'd start again unaided)

Therefore my success rate on reviving rusty motors is probably about 85%

Some will go but I don't know if the owners have then changed them subsequently once they are accessible. I'm sure some will work repeatedly after some TLC and relocation when they leave me, but try them again after standing still a week or two and they may not.
It's corrosion on the commutator that causes them to work intermittently. Left in water over winter etc, it builds up, but not so much where the brushes actually rest against it, so if it stops with the brushes on the clean section, it will start again. Telltale is if it spins into life when the shaft is rotated by hand with power applied.

I strip EVERY failed motor and clean them up properly, so they continue to work.

Mike

Wafoo

Roof motor

Post by Wafoo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 am

My roof motor problem is now sorted, in my haste to get the roof down with a non operational motor, it jammed and in a fit of childish rage I pushed it too hard and with a loud pop and a mist of hydraulic fluid, I now have a sheared hydraulic line.
The plus side is once I push the button to release the hood all I have to do is gently tug the top and it falls down and stows itself, putting it up is just a release the catch and push the roof up, 10 second job, downside is I have a swimming pool of hydraulic fluid stuck in the motor stowage as well as the water.... :roll:
Merlot 2.2i SE, so far new discs and pads, seats replaced, Cam cover replaced, Roof now fixed, new diff x3, new halfshafts, new drop links and other bouncy bits,

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am

Wafoo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 am My roof motor problem is now sorted, in my haste to get the roof down with a non operational motor, it jammed and in a fit of childish rage I pushed it too hard and with a loud pop and a mist of hydraulic fluid, I now have a sheared hydraulic line.
The plus side is once I push the button to release the hood all I have to do is gently tug the top and it falls down and stows itself, putting it up is just a release the catch and push the roof up, 10 second job, downside is I have a swimming pool of hydraulic fluid stuck in the motor stowage as well as the water.... :roll:
Do you know which hose it is, they are numbered 10,11,12 and 13 just near the banjo connectors on the pump. I can replace any of them, even 11 without removing the whole roof. The hoses can be bought for around £60 each from https://www.cabriolet-roof-hoses.com

Mike

Matthew.

Roof motor

Post by Matthew. » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Is there a guide on how to clear the drains? I did this on my old MX5 and lots of water poured out! :o
Sold: 2007 Monaco Blue Z4 2.0i Sport

Now driving: 2007 Montego Blue Z4 2.0i Sport - M Sport Seats, Suspension, Wheels, Multi Function M Steering Wheel, Stubby Aerial, Twin Exhaust Mod, Clear M Brake Light

giz

Roof motor

Post by giz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Many thanks to No.5
He rejuvenated my soaked motor and relocated it to the boot and all is working fine now :thumbsup:

I would defintiely recommend him
2006 2.0i Roadster

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor

Post by firebobby » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Matthew. wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 pm Is there a guide on how to clear the drains? I did this on my old MX5 and lots of water poured out! :o
I cleaned my drains and water came out, but when the motor was moved to the boot, it was still sat in a pool of mucky water/slime. :roll:
Just a stupid place to put the motor in the first place.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981