Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any advice on wrapping aluminium dash?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Ive removed the small aluminium section surrounding the headlight switch in order to practice with some matt black wrap.

I can get the wrap to adhere tightly to the metal on the outside however it appears the metal edges are splitting the wrap when heating the wrap up on the rear of the aluminium section.

Ive tried 3 times now and no luck. Anyone else encountered this problem or any advice on how to wrap correctly?
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 pm

My mate has his own business wrapping and says to cut the wrap flush with the edge of the panel. I've done that on a couple of panels I've done.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 am

Russ59 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 pm My mate has his own business wrapping and says to cut the wrap flush with the edge of the panel. I've done that on a couple of panels I've done.
Is there a correct way to do this? Or a particular tool? Or a Stanley sufficient? I've always been worried about cutting off bits of a tiny sliver of metal/paint/plastic (depending on what you're wrapping).

I've always previously "over wrapped" and got it sticking on the back as well.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Gazhyde

Post by Gazhyde » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:28 pm

You can get an adhesive specifically for applying vinyl on to stuff. 3M do on which I think they call primer, not sure who else does it though. Just gives greater adhesion for the vinyl to cling to.

I wrapped some interior bits, and make a half decent effort of it - certainly good enough from the drivers seat... I used a stanley knife blade to trim and cut where needed.
The Spicy Meatball - 2006 Z4 M Roadster, Interlagos / Black, BC Racing Coilovers, Gruppe M Induction, Supersprint exhaust and x-pipe.

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:46 pm

kis wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 am
Russ59 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:39 pm My mate has his own business wrapping and says to cut the wrap flush with the edge of the panel. I've done that on a couple of panels I've done.
Is there a correct way to do this? Or a particular tool? Or a Stanley sufficient? I've always been worried about cutting off bits of a tiny sliver of metal/paint/plastic (depending on what you're wrapping).

I've always previously "over wrapped" and got it sticking on the back as well.

Nice sharp scalpel and take your time, no need to press on with a new blade.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler