Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Noise in speakers during roof operation

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
OntarioZed

Post by OntarioZed » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi all. Recently bought a 2003 Z4 3.0i and the PO had the roof motor replaced about 2 years ago. The roof goes up and down smoothly and quickly, however, when in operation I hear a scratchy interference noise in the speakers of the car, even with the stereo turned off.

A bad ground perhaps? Anyone else experience this?
2003 Z4 3.0i, Non-sport suspension, Merlot metallic, Oregon leather.

OntarioZed

Post by OntarioZed » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:02 am

I see no one has any idea about this one. Obviously the electrical static is caused by the roof motor, just thought that perhaps someone who has had their roof motor out would know if there is a ground wire that needs to be connected that perhaps they didn't when the motor was replaced by the PO two tears ago.

Also, the sound only seems to come from the speakers behind the seats.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:25 am

I have the 10 spkr dap system and get interference on the cdc input which is now wired for the bt prep kit.
I think the speaker cabling and amps and speakers are badly shielded and isolated. Only fix would be to reinstall with aftermarket good quality system unless u can pinpoint the source of interference and isolate urself. Tho suspect that would be like a needle in a shitstack scenario :roll:
Btw, when are the trailerpark boys comin back over to Europe?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

OntarioZed

Post by OntarioZed » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:25 am

Thanks for the reply Chris_D. I was hoping someone else had experienced this when replacing a roof motor, but apparently it's more of an isolated incident. I'll do some in depth trouble shooting while she's in storage for the winter.

As far as the Trailer park Boys, sorry I can't help you since I don't follow them. Thanks again.