Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

knocking noise front end

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
williamdefender

knocking noise front end

Post by williamdefender » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Folks I'm getting a annoying knocking coming from the front end . I had thought it was the arb bushes so i upgraded them to meyle bushes and also replaced the drop links and the lollypops . I haven't been able to recreate the sound in the garage so i ordered up a wishbone set from germany and they are due next week . Hoovering around the garage tonight i started to try and locate the problem again . Pushing up and down on the top of the shock does nothing but if i pull up on the arch i get the sound as shown in the video . If i jack the car from its jacking points it stops . If i disconnect the drop link it stops . Is that telling me its the shock absorber ? drop link is new a few weeks ago and seems sound .
[youtube]https://youtu.be/9MUWILOY3UE[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/9MUWILOY3UE

Would be great if someone else could try the same test just to see if the sound appears .

Seal3.0

knocking noise front end

Post by Seal3.0 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Sounds like it the top mount on the shocker to me. I'd suggest lifting the bonnet and do the same test again, but looking at the top of the shocker for movement.

Hope that helps.
03 53, 3.0i. BBK including lines.

williamdefender

knocking noise front end

Post by williamdefender » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:13 pm

good call , nipping out to garage now

williamdefender

knocking noise front end

Post by williamdefender » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 pm

well just back from trying that and not seeing any movement at the top end . I was thinking that its the strut mount at the top also but just can't be sure . If i think about it when i disconnect the drop link i am stopping the sound and when i jack the car up the sound stops . Maybe thats because the shock isn't getting pushed up as far . Looks like I'm going to have to throw some more dosh at the big boy to pin it down . Any other ideas around testing would be great folks , thanks for the support

ferry

knocking noise front end

Post by ferry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:57 pm

I'd have gone for the top mount, too. They're not that expensive and not very hard to swap over.

Seal3.0

knocking noise front end

Post by Seal3.0 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Have you checked for a broken spring?

Given that the noise stops when you unload the weight (i.e jack it up), I'm pretty sure it'll be in the top of the strut. I could be wrong though, it has been known, well, so my misses tells me. :? :?
03 53, 3.0i. BBK including lines.

williamdefender

knocking noise front end

Post by williamdefender » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:10 am

All sorted , i replaced front shocks and top mounts . Heck of a job getting them springs compressed but got there in the end and a great result .