Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 questions

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Chris1981

N52 questions

Post by Chris1981 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Yes it is... you can see it between the last 2 coil packs closest to the cabin.

What issues are you having? lumpy idle? oil consumption? might not be worth doing anything if it's running fine

Doing a bit of research on these rocker covers.... it would seem the plastic covers were on later cars,l (07 onward looking at the pictures I can find on Autotrader) so why my 57 plate is metal I'll never know! Potentially an engine change... or have all the ones with plastic covers had the HVA issue resolved under warranty and got the updated plastic rocker cover at the same time!?
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Simon Blythe

N52 questions

Post by Simon Blythe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:09 pm

I believe the plastic covers are an indicator of the HVA issue being resolved. It also means you don't have to replace all the bolts when you replace the gasket.

It's a little lumpy on idle so as access seems to be relatively easy I thought I'd change it out however, I didn't realise the rocker cover needs to come off.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

N52 questions

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Simon Blythe wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:09 pm I believe the plastic covers are an indicator of the HVA issue being resolved. It also means you don't have to replace all the bolts when you replace the gasket.

It's a little lumpy on idle so as access seems to be relatively easy I thought I'd change it out however, I didn't realise the rocker cover needs to come off.
I think you need to replace the plastic valve cover in its entirety as I don't think the ccv is available as a separate replaceable item?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Simon Blythe

N52 questions

Post by Simon Blythe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:37 pm

I believe the plastic covers are an indicator of the HVA issue being resolved. It also means you don't have to replace all the bolts when you replace the gasket.

Simon Blythe

N52 questions

Post by Simon Blythe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm hoping that's not the case smart ear other wise why would they sell just the valve?

If you hear reports of a grown man laying on the middle of the road crying then you know you are correct!! :D

bradz

N52 questions

Post by bradz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Z4M Coupe, E92 M3, E46 M3 Track car :driving:

Chris1981

N52 questions

Post by Chris1981 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:58 pm

I think smartbear is right I'm afraid... I heard it was a new rocker cover as ccv is part of it. Take the disa valve out and check for oil in the inlet manifold, that's a clear sign of a failing ccv if it's clean you should be fine and ccv is working... mine was caked in oil!

Bradz, yours is like mine... follow the insulated pipe coming out the back of the rocker cover, it plugs into ccv under the last 2 runners on the intake.

Disconnect it from the rocker cover, give the opening a wipe and blow down it, if you've got a blockage you'll hear a glug then it should feel easier to blow through.
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

RyanB88

N52 questions

Post by RyanB88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Simon Blythe wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:29 pm Have you got a slightly lumpy idle Ryan?

Yep - as well as a vanos fault code on my Carly!
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

N52 questions

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Chris1981 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pmDoing a bit of research on these rocker covers.... it would seem the plastic covers were on later cars,l (07 onward looking at the pictures I can find on Autotrader) so why my 57 plate is metal I'll never know! Potentially an engine change... or have all the ones with plastic covers had the HVA issue resolved under warranty and got the updated plastic rocker cover at the same time!?
That's interesting - I thought it was all about build date!

My first Coupe was built 10/10/06 and had the black plastic cover, but my current one was built 18/09/06 and has the silver metal cover (even though it was registered a week later!). :?

Maybe my first one got updated under warranty? I know the first owner didn't do that many miles, so maybe that had a bearing on the issue?

My current one did have a slightly erratic idle, then it got some cat-cleaning fluid to clear cat fault codes, and since that the idle is now even (and the amber EML is gone)!

Anyway well done to anyone who has got stuck in and done this. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Chris1981

N52 questions

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:03 pm

I always assumed it to be based on age but I think you might be right Mr Tidy... must have something to do with warranty work too!

What cat cleaning fluid did you use? Wouldn't mind putting some through mine as I doubt it's ever been done!

Newbers

N52 questions

Post by Newbers » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:40 pm

I've got a lumpy idle (especially on start up) and I have an engine light on. I also have a bit of an oil leak which appears to be rocker cover gasket. I think I'll need to do this lot all in one go (CCV, DISA, gasket). I have the black plastic cover.
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

N52 questions

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Newbers wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:40 pm I've got a lumpy idle (especially on start up) and I have an engine light on. I also have a bit of an oil leak which appears to be rocker cover gasket. I think I'll need to do this lot all in one go (CCV, DISA, gasket). I have the black plastic cover.
If you have the black plastic cam cover as opposed to just the plastic cosmetic top cover then I think you need to order a whole new cam cover as the ccv part is not replaceable seperately :x
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

N52 questions

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Chris1981 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:03 pmWhat cat cleaning fluid did you use? Wouldn't mind putting some through mine as I doubt it's ever been done!
TWG Automotive supplied it, but I'm sure Will said it was "Cataclean" - Halfrauds and Amazon sell it!

I took the car in fairly low on fuel, Will put the Cataclean in then I put a bit more than half a tank of SuperPlus in and after the second application my Cat Fault Codes didn't come back. :thumbsup:

So now my Z only gets Superplus, and it may get an extra treatment soon just to be sure! :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black