Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LED bulbs, any recommendations?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:35 am

Morning all,

I'm looking at upgrading my filament bulbs externally to LED, just to freshen up the car a bit.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to brands, I know BMWs tend to be very picky when it comes to flickering or bulb out warnings with led bulbs.

For reference, I'm wanting to replace side lights, indicators, brake/tail lights and number plate lights. I've recently ordered a new set of xenon bulbs too.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:56 am

Flickering is due to the bulb checks, bulb out warnings due to the reduced load.
"Canbus compatible" LEDs simply have integrated resistors to match the power draw of normal bulbs and negate any power savings. Cheap ones often don't last long.

I would recommend coding out the bulb checks and getting true LEDs. I have a mix of Philips and Osram, but would happily exclusively use Osram premium now.

For number plates I think you're better off with the OE units from the 1 series, couple of threads on here about the mod.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Chii

Post by Chii » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:56 am Flickering is due to the bulb checks, bulb out warnings due to the reduced load.
"Canbus compatible" LEDs simply have integrated resistors to match the power draw of normal bulbs and negate any power savings. Cheap ones often don't last long.

I would recommend coding out the bulb checks and getting true LEDs. I have a mix of Philips and Osram, but would happily exclusively use Osram premium now.

For number plates I think you're better off with the OE units from the 1 series, couple of threads on here about the mod.
Hi,

How do you code out the checks? I've just put in some led bulbs today as one of them died and my indicators are now on when sidelights are switched on.

I have carley and believe I have already changed the voltage checks AFAIK.

Is my only further option to get some LEDs with the resistors? Or as you mentioned Steve, the orsam ones?

Cheers,

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:53 am

I've not got Carly so can't help with that but must assume check control is still on along with at least one of the hot or cold bulb checks. If you can get NCS Expert working I can show you what to turn off.
OSRAM will need the checks turning off, so are currently no good to you but they make very good LEDs. I currently have rear brake, reverse and indicators from them and Philips front side lights.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

scooobydont

Post by scooobydont » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:46 am

I bought these for the rear number plate, they are excellent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282117811343

I originally just bough the bulbs but they were not very bright as the plastic inside the holders was pretty old and didnt let a lot of light through. These units look just like the ads you see, in the dark its a bright white light, a very cheap worth while mod IMHO.

Chii

Post by Chii » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 am

scooobydont wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:46 am I bought these for the rear number plate, they are excellent:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282117811343

I originally just bough the bulbs but they were not very bright as the plastic inside the holders was pretty old and didnt let a lot of light through. These units look just like the ads you see, in the dark its a bright white light, a very cheap worth while mod IMHO.
I can second these, I have had them for a year or so.
Scooba_Steve wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:53 am I've not got Carly so can't help with that but must assume check control is still on along with at least one of the hot or cold bulb checks. If you can get NCS Expert working I can show you what to turn off.
OSRAM will need the checks turning off, so are currently no good to you but they make very good LEDs. I currently have rear brake, reverse and indicators from them and Philips front side lights.

Cheers ScoobaSteve, I will do my best to get that NCS on. I have a copy of the software but not installed. Have you managed to get it working within a VM? Or a standalone laptop?

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:11 pm

NCS is working along with INPA stand alone on a Windows 10 tablet, it was a manual install though so time consuming but not difficult. I don't have ISTA installed for the only reason the HDD isn't big enough.

Chii

Post by Chii » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi Steve, I've managed to get them both installed on a laptop. Apart from launching the software I literally have zero idea what I am doing with either of them! I can just about pick what car I have so please go easy! Thanks again

k31ron

Post by k31ron » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Chii wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:18 pm Hi Steve, I've managed to get them both installed on a laptop. Apart from launching the software I literally have zero idea what I am doing with either of them! I can just about pick what car I have so please go easy! Thanks again
I'd be really interested in doing this also and I'm in the same situation have the software installed but not used yet. been looking for some tutorials on "coding" via NCS but not found any yet

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Ive installed LEDs into the interior lamp locations and sidelights on my 53 Zed. I purchased the LEDS from my local Halfords & although expensive they work first time and haven't failed ... unlike some of the cheap Chinese rubbish which I bought off Ebay and had problems with immediately :!: :thumbsdown:

I also updated the reverse lamps (I have two on my Zed) to LEDs (bought off Amazon) and it makes such a difference in the level of illumination.

Can you guys provide any recommendations or weblinks to LEDs bulbs so I can update my front foglights?
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Chii

Post by Chii » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:33 pm

k31ron wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:18 pm I'd be really interested in doing this also and I'm in the same situation have the software installed but not used yet. been looking for some tutorials on "coding" via NCS but not found any yet
Hi K31ron,
I've managed to code some options with the NCS so far, nothing useful. I am really only looking for the option to disable the LED DRL check. Progress is slow! After I get that done I will play around with some other things
This video on Youtube was the most helpful I found on what to do with NCS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFvwCurUpCE&t

I think he mentioned in the video the lighting ECU is 'ALSZ'

k31ron

Post by k31ron » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Chii wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:33 pm
k31ron wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:18 pm I'd be really interested in doing this also and I'm in the same situation have the software installed but not used yet. been looking for some tutorials on "coding" via NCS but not found any yet
Hi K31ron,
I've managed to code some options with the NCS so far, nothing useful. I am really only looking for the option to disable the LED DRL check. Progress is slow! After I get that done I will play around with some other things
This video on Youtube was the most helpful I found on what to do with NCS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFvwCurUpCE&t

I think he mentioned in the video the lighting ECU is 'ALSZ'
thanks will take a look