Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 coupe racecar

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
iainw

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by iainw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi,

I am looking to build a z4 racing car/ tack car, Before i really get into the project i just wanted to check out a few things to ensure that things work as i assume they do.

The car would be based around the Z4 e85/6 bodyshell (once i have found a usable coupe bodyshell that is)

The questions

will an e46 m4 rear axle drop in?

Is the ABS body loom fundamentally separate from the other body electrics?

I am assuming that the engine bay is dimensionally the same as a Z4m

Are their any body shell differences between a "cooking" Z4 and a Z4M

Does the rear floor require additional bracing to cope with track use.

Does the dash cluster take engine data via can bus? or is it the usual tacho line etc

Many thanks in advance!

cheers

Iain

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 am

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I wish I could help with your questions, but I'm sure someone will be able to.

A couple of members I know who track their cars have got a good deal on a Quaife LSD from Birds, so I'm guessing a rear end transplant from an E46 M3 may not be an option.

Looking forward to hearing more about your project though. :thumbsup:

Iain.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

iainw

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by iainw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:42 am

hi, thanks for the response and the welcome.

I am not really interested in a ATB, as for track work i don't think they are much cop, neither is the Shear pumped e46 unit tbh.

What i would be looking to do is put an e36 210mm evo cluster into the e46 case using an e46 rear axle, complete with training arms and driveshafts.

Propshaft would likely be an e36 m3 rear section with the e46 front mated to an e36 5 speed, engine would be a heavily re worked s50b30 making between 350 and 380HP.

Suspension would be e36 m3 kingpins mated to intrax four way racing dampers with the turrets drilled to suit the top mounts lower arms would likley be e46 m3, steered with an e46 purple tag rack.

Abs would be retained and the car would either use bosh motorsport ASC and ABS or Motorsport abs with the steering angle sensor deleted and traction handled through a racelogic system.

My current racer runs racelogic and its outstanding and will easily piggy back the abs unit.

Cage would probably be touring car spec but less a dash bar and running a Y door bar as its just so much easier getting in and out.

My main concern is how well the body loom will mate with the s50b30 engine harness and how easily the abs loom can be separated (and of course the axle fitment.

This is broadly the specification of my current car though its only making 330hp and the cage is not to the spec i would like.

Proving more difficult than expected to get a usable coupe shell i must admit.

Joycey

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by Joycey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 am

There was an old thread kicking around about setting up a z4 for track, I remember mentions of disconnecting the rear anti roll bar. :driving: watching with interest
Last edited by Joycey on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joycey

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by Joycey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 am

MJJamieson

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by MJJamieson » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 am

There's a Coupe race prepared shell on eBay, seems expensive for what you get though.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

Fishy Dave

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am

Hi Ian,

Just interested why you don't choose an M from the beginning? :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

iainw

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by iainw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:22 am

Joycey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 am
There was an old thread kicking around about setting up a z4 for track, I remember mentions of disconnecting the rear anti roll bar. :driving: watching with interest

Yea, thats quite common, essentially people assume that stiffer means better handling, which is not always true, it means the car will stay flatter but actually you will have less traction. As the hillclimbs i do are road courses i don't run insane spring rates and don't run a rear roll bar, also i would be running a full rear coilover not a damper and barrel spring, so the setup is very different.

MJJamieson wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 am
There's a Coupe race prepared shell on eBay, seems expensive for what you get though.

Where!!! i cant find the bugger.. do you have a link?

Fishy Dave wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am
Hi Ian,

Just interested why you don't choose an M from the beginning? :)

Cost and diminishing return, i can buy a whole z4 coupe for 6k, strip it make maybe 3k back, i could buy a z4m for probably 20k, but would make maybe 10k back at best. i have most of the parts i need, an Z4M simply raises the cost without much benefit.

iainw

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by iainw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:30 am

edit: found the shell, hmm, its been dipped, and is covered in surface rust, I will give the guy a call and see what the deal is with the other parts.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by Taz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am

the M as the battery in a different space in the boot to allow for the twin exhaust so slightly different there

Fishy Dave

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by Fishy Dave » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:03 pm

iainw wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:22 am
Cost and diminishing return, i can buy a whole z4 coupe for 6k, strip it make maybe 3k back, i could buy a z4m for probably 20k, but would make maybe 10k back at best. i have most of the parts i need, an Z4M simply raises the cost without much benefit.
That makes sense, I was thinking less work and greater eligibility for race series (there are quite a few that don't allow non original engine types). The spec of your car should be pretty potent. 8)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

iainw

Z4 coupe racecar

Post by iainw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 pm

spoke to the guy with the caged shell, they have only the shell and that has no ID, so its a no go