Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake pad recommendations?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

ferry wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 pm
Ewazix wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am
ferry wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 am I avoid EBC based on experience. I've used DS2500 a lot. They are expensive but appreciably better than the OEMs I've replaced with them. I've bought from Camskill, Amazon and eBay in the past.

Pagid RS29s very good, but very loud.
According to Ferodo the DS2500 is a "Track use only" pad that's not a legal ECER90 tested part, so is illegal for use on the road. I don't know if there have been prosecutions but guess it would only come 'on-top' after a serious/fatal accident once examiners get involved. At which point wilfully neglected or illegal brakes can lead to jail time. So apart from cold friction issues I'd be very wary of track pads on the road TBH.
Worth noting that DS3000 is track only and has a warning on the website stating that it's not suitable for the road. DS2500 has no such warning on their website and I've personally had zero issues with cold friction. Even in winter. No supplier has ever flagged an issue, nor any garage or MOT centre which has been aware of their presence.

ETA. There's also an inbetween spec, DS Performance. I've less experience of these but have found they work well on the car I used them on. I haven't had DS2500 and DS performance on the same car to make a comparison. http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/ca ... rake-pads/

ETA2. Just checking and I currently have DS2500 on a car and DS Performance on another and both have been good. If it makes a difference, both sets were fitted on new discs.
The Ferodo UK website couldn't be any clearer re the following 'Race Product Range'
DS2500, 4003, DS3000, DS1.11, DSUNO quote: "They have not been developed for use on public roads and must not, under any circumstances, be used on public roads".
Ferodo UK http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/ca ... rake-pads/

We all know no suppliers will sell you what you want and MOT garages will not be able to tell, what I'm saying is care should be taken when advising that people fit safety related parts that are not road legal. It will be no defence to say some bloke on a forum said it was OK :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ferry

Post by ferry » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:42 pm

mmm-five wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm
Ewazix wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am According to Ferodo the DS2500 is a "Track use only" pad that's not a legal ECER90 tested part, so is illegal for use on the road. I don't know if there have been prosecutions but guess it would only come 'on-top' after a serious/fatal accident once examiners get involved. At which point wilfully neglected or illegal brakes can lead to jail time. So apart from cold friction issues I'd be very wary of track pads on the road TBH.
I've got EBC orangestuff 'endurance' pads in my Z4MC, and they weren't even mentioned by the insurance assessor when I had my accident.
ferry wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 am I avoid EBC based on experience. I've used DS2500 a lot. They are expensive but appreciably better than the OEMs I've replaced with them. I've bought from Camskill, Amazon and eBay in the past.

Pagid RS29s very good, but very loud.
I've run a couple of sets of RS29 in my Z4MC and not noticed any increased noise. Went back to EBC Bluestuff (then onto Orangestuff) when I realised the RS pads were lasting about 1/2 as long as the EBCs, and were 3 times the price (£100 vs £300) - so effectively costing me 6 times the price per mile.

I only originally tried EBC because they gave BMMC marshals a 50% discount (so 1/12th per mile cost back then). I wouldn't run Ultimax, Greenstuff or Redstuff though.

Even my mate who doesn't like EBC very much was impressed by how they worked/lasted at the Ring and Oulton Park.
I think my experience is limited to green and yellow. Green were particularly bad.

ferry

Post by ferry » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Ewazix wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm
Ewazix wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am

According to Ferodo the DS2500 is a "Track use only" pad that's not a legal ECER90 tested part, so is illegal for use on the road. I don't know if there have been prosecutions but guess it would only come 'on-top' after a serious/fatal accident once examiners get involved. At which point wilfully neglected or illegal brakes can lead to jail time. So apart from cold friction issues I'd be very wary of track pads on the road TBH.
Worth noting that DS3000 is track only and has a warning on the website stating that it's not suitable for the road. DS2500 has no such warning on their website and I've personally had zero issues with cold friction. Even in winter. No supplier has ever flagged an issue, nor any garage or MOT centre which has been aware of their presence.

ETA. There's also an inbetween spec, DS Performance. I've less experience of these but have found they work well on the car I used them on. I haven't had DS2500 and DS performance on the same car to make a comparison. http://www.ferodoracing.com/products/ca ... rake-pads/

ETA2. Just checking and I currently have DS2500 on a car and DS Performance on another and both have been good. If it makes a difference, both sets were fitted on new discs.
The Ferodo UK website couldn't be any clearer re the following 'Race Product Range'
DS2500, 4003, DS3000, DS1.11, DSUNO quote: "They have not been developed for use on public roads and must not, under any circumstances, be used on public roads".

We all know no suppliers will sell you what you want and MOT garages will not be able to tell, what I'm saying is care should be taken when advising that people fit safety related parts that are not road legal. It will be no defence to say some bloke on a forum said it was OK :wink:
Point taken. Still, odd that their warning isn't on the specific DS2500 page.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:20 pm

ferry wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Ewazix wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Worth noting that DS3000 is track only and has a warning on the website stating that it's not suitable for the road. DS2500 has no such warning on their website and I've personally had zero issues with cold friction. Even in winter. No supplier has ever flagged an issue, nor any garage or MOT centre which has been aware of their presence. ....................................

Point taken. Still, odd that their warning isn't on the specific DS2500 page.
No prob's, as I say before swapping I did a lot of digging to understand whats out there and facts (as opposed to marketing hype) about real differences and measured performance of road pads. Just to re-itterate, road spec R90 stamped pads cannot be more than 15% different to stock in any area of performance (fade, friction, cold bite etc) and it's all a trade off. So anybody who tells you X is massively better than Y road pad must be very perceptive :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost