Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Spax RSX coilovers, anyone have/tried them?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
silverdevill

Post by silverdevill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:01 pm

As per the thread title chaps, been looking at these for a while, anyone running them or know of thier quality/lack of?
3.0si E85, Rogue eng. RTAB's+top mounts, ultra racing brace, YSR coilovers, YSR camber plates, DS2500's, carbon grilles, stubby, 3SDM 0.09's, Yokohama AD08r's, H&R anti-rollbars, adjustable rear arms, backbox delete, custom geo. Lots of polybushes

A5 VRX

Post by A5 VRX » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I don't know much about them but there is 10% off atm @ Europerformance.co.uk....£697 for Spax RSX. I've just ordered some other coilovers through them as they were cheaper then anyone else by quite a bit. Not sure what the Spax price is like compared to other company's though

Adam
Ex - 2.5 Si Sport Roadster
Now - 3.0 Si Sport Coupe, AP Coilovers, CSL’s, ZHP

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:12 pm

A5 VRX wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 pm I don't know much about them but there is 10% off atm @ Europerformance.co.uk....£697 for Spax RSX. I've just ordered some other coilovers through them as they were cheaper then anyone else by quite a bit. Not sure what the Spax price is like compared to other company's though

Adam
Which did you go for?
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

A5 VRX

Post by A5 VRX » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm

I've gone for AP, had them on my Corrado VR6, Mk2 16v & 328i Sport and always rate them. The BMW rode really well on them. They are at the cheaper end but the quality is always good. Used to buy Weitecs a lot before then. I was looking at Eibach springs but I want the front to sit better/lower and I could of prob done with some rear dampers too so desicion made just to do all 4 with the coilovers :D

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 pm

A5 VRX wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm I've gone for AP, had them on my Corrado VR6, Mk2 16v & 328i Sport and always rate them. The BMW rode really well on them. They are at the cheaper end but the quality is always good. Used to buy Weitecs a lot before then. I was looking at Eibach springs but I want the front to sit better/lower and I could of prob done with some rear dampers too so desicion made just to do all 4 with the coilovers :D
Sounds good - as long as the ride isn't too hard - where did you get them from and how much? :)

JAD

Post by JAD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Yes, don't do it. Buy cheap, buy twice (or you'll end up buying other suspension parts).

A5 VRX

Post by A5 VRX » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 pm

JAD wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:27 pm Yes, don't do it. Buy cheap, buy twice (or you'll end up buying other suspension parts).

Have you had the Spax Supension then, how was it? It's a fair comment on buy cheap by twice but it's surely down to how you drive, how low you go, how big your wheels are, annual mileage and how you treat your car. I wouldn't go putting eBay coilovers on or the cheap FK's.

Suppose some people's harsh ride is different to another persons that's why suspension choice is really personal...sod spending £1200+ though on KW's if I'm doing 4K a year!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 am

I have the spax rsx they work and they work ok. They don’t have a great level of adjustability. They will improve ride and cornering ability but i can’t get mine to stop sagging in the rear when hard accelerating. They don’t dip to much under braking though. Maybe down to the design differance between front and rear?

Mine have been on my car for over 3 years and are showing sines of where. Paint peeling off the shock body. I am looking to change mine for some HSD mono’s. They are slightly more money but i would look at the HSDs over the spax.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

JAD

Post by JAD » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:59 am

A5 VRX wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 pm
JAD wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:27 pm Yes, don't do it. Buy cheap, buy twice (or you'll end up buying other suspension parts).

Have you had the Spax Supension then, how was it? It's a fair comment on buy cheap by twice but it's surely down to how you drive, how low you go, how big your wheels are, annual mileage and how you treat your car. I wouldn't go putting eBay coilovers on or the cheap FK's.

Suppose some people's harsh ride is different to another persons that's why suspension choice is really personal...sod spending £1200+ though on KW's if I'm doing 4K a year!
Beg pardon, I've misread this on my phone/in a rush - thought it said FKs - going mad :tumbleweed:

oalloyd1

Post by oalloyd1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:15 pm

I think Spax is pretty good stuff, they are built in the UK and i nearly bought a set for my car.

I went with BC Racing as they were not much more, had adjustable top mounts included and had them on my E46 M3 (flawless)

Got mine from Larkspeed, all good there.

Cheers,

o

0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 am

Machine monkey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 am I have the spax rsx they work and they work ok. They don’t have a great level of adjustability. They will improve ride and cornering ability but i can’t get mine to stop sagging in the rear when hard accelerating. They don’t dip to much under braking though. Maybe down to the design differance between front and rear?

Mine have been on my car for over 3 years and are showing sines of where. Paint peeling off the shock body. I am looking to change mine for some HSD mono’s. They are slightly more money but i would look at the HSDs over the spax.
But HSD is only available for E46, right?

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 pm

0xid0 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 am
Machine monkey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 am I have the spax rsx they work and they work ok. They don’t have a great level of adjustability. They will improve ride and cornering ability but i can’t get mine to stop sagging in the rear when hard accelerating. They don’t dip to much under braking though. Maybe down to the design differance between front and rear?

But HSD is only available for E46, right?
Same fittment i cant see there being any problem.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 pm
Same fittment i cant see there being any problem.
Are you sure e46 shocks (especially the front ones) are of equal lenght?

This is important for the range of travel before they bottom out at the bumpstops (when the shock body is longer it will hit the bumpstop earlier)
And for progressive dampening shocks it would mess up the dampening rate at ride height, but I dont think street coilovers have progressive dampening (thats more thoroughbred race tech)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 pm

I've spoke to a few people who reckon e46 suspension fits perfectly, and is about 1/3rd of the price of e85 suspension!

I have no first hand experience of this but will probably buy some e46 coilovers at some stage to replace my 100k mileage m sport setup!