Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I6 vanos kit

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
domsz4

I6 vanos kit

Post by domsz4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:19 pm

I bought my vanos kit ages back and it has 2 metal rings in it. Quite chunky. About an inch in diameter.

Wtf are they for?...

Would post a pic but no idea where to host now photo bucket is not doing it
Proud Whip owner ;)

RyanB88

I6 vanos kit

Post by RyanB88 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:21 pm

M54 or n52?
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

domsz4

I6 vanos kit

Post by domsz4 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 am

m54. form their site they are the rattle rings.
34mm OD 28mm ID 7mm thick metal ring
Proud Whip owner ;)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

I6 vanos kit

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 am

Yes thats indeed the anti rattle kit.
But that name is somewhat misleading as it has nothing to do with the 'vanos rattle' that comes with worn vanos piston rings.

These rings are designed to take up some slop in the vanos system itself. TBH not really necessary for a stock engine, but its recommended if you're installing performance cams (because any slop in the vanos will esperience greater forces when performance cam profiles work on them)
The way these work is that inside the vanos pistons there are 2 axial bearings with a distance ring between them. That system has the slightest bit of play. the I6/beisan distance rings are slightly thicker that take away that play (in the instructions it probably says you can sand them down a bit to minimize the preload on those axial bearings to 0)

To install these rings you MUST have plastic vise jaws liners and an impact wrench (and maybe a modified socket as the nut you're trying to undo is very flat). Be careful with mounting those pistons in the vise (not too much tension, or you'll damage them despite the plastic jaw liners).
The best thing to do would be to mount them in a lathe chuck (again with plastic or rubber liners/mat)

I didnt have any trouble installing these (but then again, I never have any trouble installing anything... :roll: ), but its slightly more difficult to do than the vanos rings.

Here I have a vid of the difference in vanos piston play between standard rings and the thicker rings (mine came from beisan, I6 didnt have them yet back then, so I dont have hands on experience with the I6 rings).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw5CopT5n2A
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

domsz4

I6 vanos kit

Post by domsz4 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 pm

That all sounds quite complicated... :o I do t have a vice so probably just skip this bit and only do all the seals
Proud Whip owner ;)