Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water Pump

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
carl2990

Water Pump

Post by carl2990 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:49 am

Hello!

So my Zed is now on 54000, I've heard of water pumps failing around the 60-70k mark so would rather do this as preventative maintenance rather than have it fail in the middle of a nice drive out!

Is there any way to check the condition of the pump before spending £££ on something which may not fail for another 10k+ miles. I've had a search of the forums but couldn't find anything with regards to testing it.

Cheers!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Water Pump

Post by Marlon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:51 am

From what I've heard because they are electric there's no warning - the temp gauges climbs into the red and you call the breakdown services :cry: I'm on similar miles as you, but wont be worrying too much until 70 - 80k

I've got a Poll going - you may find it informative:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95479&hilit=water+pump+poll
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

85genius

Water Pump

Post by 85genius » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:04 am

Mine failed well into the 90s so don't worry too much and also I got plenty of warning... Well over a month in fact.

Mine first had a random overheat in March, killed the engine opened the bonnet to let it cool then when i started back up it was fine. I actually posted on here and got a load of suggestions but none sounded too serious so I kept an eye on the situation and it didn't do it again for over a month, I had ordered a usb cable for carly when it first did it so when it did it again I read the fault code and saw the water pump was on its way out.

Ordered a replacement from Germany for about £200 delivered then had it fitted a week or so later.

I was using my car as a daily the whole time and so long as you kill the engine as soon as the temp starts rising you aint gonna do any damage.

Over the course of around 2 months since the fist hint of a problem and me getting the new pump fitted I think it overheated a total of 4 times. Every time I pulled over killed the engine and when I restarted it and it was fine again. Only the first time I had to open the bonnet. Second time I stopped then left a minute and started straight back up. Second and third I literally killed the engine and started again straight away. Pretty sure it was just an electrical component in the pump failing so off and on again reset it.
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

85genius

Water Pump

Post by 85genius » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:07 am

This was the cheapest when I did mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIERBURG-ELEK ... 2749.l2649

But the £ to € rate has fallen since then so may not be now

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Water Pump

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am

Marlon wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:51 am From what I've heard because they are electric there's no warning - the temp gauges climbs into the red and you call the breakdown services :cry: I'm on similar miles as you, but wont be worrying too much until 70 - 80k

I've got a Poll going - you may find it informative:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95479&hilit=water+pump+poll
I had a warning with no overheating, the rad fan would pulse on cold starts which it had never done before-apparently it does this if the pump starts to misbehave :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

RyanB88

Water Pump

Post by RyanB88 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Mines on 101k and I've got receipts for everything apart from a water pump, so I don't think mines ever been done (2006 n52) so although they are prone to going, I don't think they're ticking time bombs like people make out

Either that or I've just been very lucky and just jinxed it!
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Water Pump

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 pm

OP, I think Marlon's poll shows that although they can die more keep on going than die!

(Although sadly my first Coupe needed one at 60K miles and 9 years.)

If there is any problem with the pump the OBD logs it, so if you can read the codes that may give you a bit of notice - otherwise keep watching the temperature gauge! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Steve84N

Water Pump

Post by Steve84N » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Normally you don't get a warning and when it fails that's it.

Mine went at 5x,xxx something miles and it's a 56 plate. It left me stranded and it was a pain as it's my daily. Our e91 has the same engine and it's on 77k 08 plate but it's still fine. Been contemplating changing it based on my experience but haven't felt compelled enough to stump up the cash, although I think I should because we often go on continental trips.

If you can afford it and you plan to keep the car I'd say do it unless you don't mind the inconvenience of getting stuck without warning.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

85genius

Water Pump

Post by 85genius » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Steve84N wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:47 pm Normally you don't get a warning and when it fails that's it.

Mine went at 5x,xxx something miles and it's a 56 plate. It left me stranded and it was a pain as it's my daily. Our e91 has the same engine and it's on 77k 08 plate but it's still fine. Been contemplating changing it based on my experience but haven't felt compelled enough to stump up the cash, although I think I should because we often go on continental trips.

If you can afford it and you plan to keep the car I'd say do it unless you don't mind the inconvenience of getting stuck without warning.
Did you try turning it off and on again? Daft question I know but just that it worked for me when mine was failing

Steve84N

Water Pump

Post by Steve84N » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Yes, it just got hot again.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Buckz

Water Pump

Post by Buckz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm

so they seem to also fail in different ways? either dead completely or 50/50 aka wont turn on sometimes and work the other?

mine is on 62k now no waterpump change so we'll see how it gets on. It's my DD so hopefully it wont give up on the way to work.