Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washer bottle query

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Russ59

Washer bottle query

Post by Russ59 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Couple weeks ago I checked on my washer bottle to top it up and found it nearly completely empty, (was when we had extremely hot weather) now I hardly use it so there should have been some in it at the very least, anyway topped it up, couple days ago I checked it again and level seemed lower so topped it up again, also checked round to see if there were any leaks and couldn't find any dampness, just done a couple hundred miles this weekend and just checked level again to find the cap up and level of fluid couple inches down. I know I put the cap back on when I topped it up.
Anyone else experienced similar?
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Washer bottle query

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Im sure I have read on here that the bottles crack and need to be replaced.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

stevengude

Washer bottle query

Post by stevengude » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Try taking the bottle out and examining the filters at the bottom. Has something broke and caused a leak? Worth removing and cleaning the two filters anyway as they get really clogged up and its a simple job.

sharpyboy

Washer bottle query

Post by sharpyboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm having a similar problem, I think it's leaking where the pump goes into the rubber grommet or the pump itself. I cleaned the filter at the weekend and put it back together and filled with screen wash and it appears to be still leaking. I checked the screen wash bottle and there doesn't appear to be any cracks or leaks there. I know that a weak point is the headlight washers which can leak but I don't have them so I can't blame that. Anybody recommend anything to put around the grommet and washer pump to prevents leaks, what about some Ptfe tape or marine silicone adhesive?
2006 Z4 2.5i gap-tech rch+ roof mod + zhp + roof motor now in boot + DLV Exhaust mod

Steve84N

Washer bottle query

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:18 am

On both my Z4 and our e91 it was one of the headlight washers that was leaking. Replacement sorted it in both cases and a tell tale sign was fluid coming out of the front bumper in the corner.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Russ59

Washer bottle query

Post by Russ59 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Steve84N wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:18 am On both my Z4 and our e91 it was one of the headlight washers that was leaking. Replacement sorted it in both cases and a tell tale sign was fluid coming out of the front bumper in the corner.

How easy/difficult are they to get at?
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Silverzedtom

Washer bottle query

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:25 pm

I'd take the bottle out and have a look at all the rubbers first. I used a bit of gummy phledge on mine to keep them supple as they looked fine, if they look bad replace.
Most connections are there so most probably the problem.

Do you have access to a garage? Leaving her parked for a few days you might see a drop on the floor to identify if it's at the headlamp washer or elsewhere.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Steve84N

Washer bottle query

Post by Steve84N » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm

To get to they are easy as you can change them via the lower hatch in the wheel arch. It's fiddly to release the clip on the side you can't see but there's no need to remove the bumper.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

ferry

Washer bottle query

Post by ferry » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am

Adding my name to the list of the afflicted.

I've removed the bottle, filters and nozzle units from the washers, cleaned up and reassembled and I now have a leak on the front offside. The bottom of the washer bottle and the filter housings are dry so it must be the washer.

Is it possible to open up the washer unit and sort it or am I forking out for a replacement?