Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Petrol smell

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
step_change

Petrol smell

Post by step_change » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Driving home tonight roof down, all is good in the world...
Then hit a bit if traffic. Suddenly a strong petrol smell. WTF.... Then it seemed to go. A few minutes later I smelled it again. Drove on. No traffic open road. Petrol smell again. Then gone. Pulled over, bonnet up and a look around and nothing loose, nothing dripping. Did it a couple moe times. Now it's OK. Seem to have burned through 1/8 tank of gas in only 20 miles as well. not sure if I just got a few smells and I am being paranoid.
Will keep an eye on it. Any immediate thoughts guys? Power seems OK and idling is fine as well. No leaks that I can see. Will have another look and drive tomorrow.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

dhobbs

Petrol smell

Post by dhobbs » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Check you fuel cap. I had to replace mine as the seal had cracked, apparently an MOT fialure on convertables.

Have a look under the fuel tank too but please be careful, a friend of mine was trying to fix an old camper van which had a fuel leak and it all caught fire. He was very lucky, not as lucky as the van and two cars that went up in flames!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup: