Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What to do.....8 years of ownership now and I want to make some cheap improvements...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Markyboy

What to do.....8 years of ownership now and I want to make some cheap improvements...

Post by Markyboy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Guys, I've had my 2004 Z4 3.0i for about 8 years and it only has about 33k on the clock. Its a 2nd car and until recently I worked abroad for over 6 months of the year.
DSC_2250.JPG
DSC_2250.JPG (221.01 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
Ive done the CDV, fitted a ZHP knob and it has clear rearlights. I have just got some clear side repeaters but haven't fitted them yet. If work hadn't slowed up as it has the last 18 months I'd be Z4M hunting but that's not feasible now.

Just want to do some small bits to improve things without spending allot....I'm thinking 330i brakes, Royal steering wheel and maybe some spacers and Eibach springs.

Any other ideas guys??

Mark.
2004 (54) 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 108's, HiFi, Zenons, Chrome Tips, Elec Folding Mirrors, Elec Seats, Cd Changer, stubby, clear spot rears, Cruise, Sound Generator mod, Sessantas. Next up de-tango....when I get the nerve....

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:52 pm

330i/330D brakes are a straight swap, and good improvement, especially with some decent discs and pads. Spacers, I would go with 15mm front & 20mm rear, funnily enough just like the set I have for sale on the forum, complete with long bolts :)

I had my std wheel retrimmed with half perforated nappa leather and extra thickness, and I loved it - That is until I managed to get my hands on an ///M wheel, which I can highly recommend..

Mike

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Id forget the Eibach's unless its purely for looks :( spacers will work magic on your car ( & M size rubber even more )
Aeroskirts got to top the list around £500ish but can't fail to love the look once fitted & down the line if you keep your existing cills then you should see 85% of the money back :wink:
M steering wheel is a nice thing to have , add that to the list too
The car looks mighty fine as is imo :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Markyboy

Post by Markyboy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 pm

I was hoping some Eibachs would improve the ride a little? I do think some spacers would improve the looks but I don't want to worsen the ride or handling at all and I have no experience of them.

I've read your posts on going up to the M size tyres Mr Wilks. I would have done that 18 months ago when I got the new F1s but I hadn't read your advice at the time. Bit gutted as I think it would have given a good improvement in ride quality.

With the number of miles I do it will be at least 4 years before I change them! lol

Do The Aero skirts really go for over £400 second hand? Thats got me thinking. Could probably justify that as an investment! lol

Maybe a one touch module could be an option. I'n defo going to have a Royal wheel upgrade, M wheels look mighty expensive.

I do still hanker after an M but the best ragtops are close to 20k now. I do wonder if I should just push the boat out and just do it on the basis that doing 2k a year it should appreciate.
2004 (54) 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 108's, HiFi, Zenons, Chrome Tips, Elec Folding Mirrors, Elec Seats, Cd Changer, stubby, clear spot rears, Cruise, Sound Generator mod, Sessantas. Next up de-tango....when I get the nerve....

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:43 pm

GapTech RC+ was the first mod I did to mine, and it's worth every penny, yes the roof can be coded to open from the remote, and SOME can be coded to close, BUT you have to stand next to the car holding the key, looking a bit, erm... The GapTech also gives you one touch, so you can press the raise/lower button and drive off whilst it's doing it's thing, especially handy if you have a manual, and the lights have just changed to green!

+1 on the Eibachs not doing anything for the ride, probably even more harsh IMO. And yes, aero skirts are like money in the bank..

Mike

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Markyboy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 pm
I do still hanker after an M but the best ragtops are close to 20k now. I do wonder if I should just push the boat out and just do it on the basis that doing 2k a year it should appreciate.
Mine won't be £20k :D & 2K a year converted into ///Miles will mean 3 or even 4 :P
Seriously though if you only plan to do minimal miles i would consider a higher mile car for much less spend , they can be bought , driven & enjoyed on a fairly strict budget if you buy at the right point of the service / repair cycle :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Markyboy

Post by Markyboy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:34 pm

How much for a really good 30k mile ragtop M now then? I keep looking at a really nice 30k miler online, full BMW history and satnav etc for just under 20k.

My father recently sold a car he bought in 1960 that had 26k on the clock. We like to keep cars a while in our family! lol

aquarianone

Post by aquarianone » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 pm

The DLV exhaust mod, definitely adds a bit more drama and puts a smile on your face :thumbsup:
Midnight blue, 3.0si sport coupe, champagne nappa leather, piano black trim, stubby, DLV exhaust and a bunch of other stuff :thumbsup:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 pm

aquarianone wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 pm The DLV exhaust mod, definitely adds a bit more drama and puts a smile on your face :thumbsup:
Well, obviously I can highly recommended that! 😁

Mike

A5 VRX

Post by A5 VRX » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:22 am

I'd go spacers 100%, really improves the look of the car no end. I think it's the first thing Z4 owners should do as the wheels really look lost tucked away in those arches
Ex - 2.5 Si Sport Roadster
Now - 3.0 Si Sport Coupe, AP Coilovers, CSL’s, ZHP

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:03 pm

i have a set of spacers for mine and never fitted the .... i remember something about needing bolts cut down to right length??
Proud Whip owner ;)

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:33 pm

I put eibachs on mine and found a huge improvement in the ride, I found they made the drive less harsh. I would Def go for a DLV exhaust mod too, I have a power flow back box but am getting a dlv box . 12th spacers on all corners have improved the looks too :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Izzyspi

Post by Izzyspi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

Royals wheel is a great shout and well worth the dosh, IMHO. It's the main contact point with the car and makes a massive difference to the enjoyment.
224 M wheels are a great add too - can be picked up for a reasonable price if you are patient, and the offset fills the arches of a non-M car perfectly.
Finally, I'd echo the recs for a DLV box above. I got mine done a while back from Mike, and loved it. After 6 weeks, it was playing havoc with my tinnitus, so I contacted Mike and he just re-did a slightly reined in version. Now I have the same rasp and pops on the overrun, at a volume my ears can cope with - still a HUUUGE improvement over the standard set up.
All the above should be no more than £800, give or take a few quid, but give you a much better looking and feeling car.
Good luck with the mods!!!
03 3.0i SE | Titan Silver | Red M Sport Leather | 313s | lots of other good stuff.....
Sold - SLK55 AMG
Sold - 03 3.0i SE | Titan Silver | Red Leather | 224s

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am

Lovely low mileage Zed you have there.
I will echo what others have mentioned: You've done the CDV and ZHP :thumbsup: So hub-centric spacers (20mm rear, 15mm front) will improve the stance, Royal wheels refurb or better still a M Sport wheel (if you can find one that's not at silly money), DLV back box mod to release the sound of the straight 6, you could look at different alloys (224s - personal choice though) but that is not a cheap mod, Cruise Control (yours should be pre-wired - although I guess you don't do many motorway miles)
(I'm basically giving you a list of my mods :oops: )
Last edited by Marlon on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:21 am

i think you should keep the orange side repeaters & sell me your rear lights :oops:

as above tho - Spacers & Retrimmmed steering wheel are the best asthetic mods you can do for under £200 for both
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.