Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Centre console removal

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
greg81

Centre console removal

Post by greg81 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 pm

I've been meaning to tackle this for a while so I could wrap the final bit of the yellowed aluminium in my car. Finally got round to it today but unfortunately all the guides on here and not so good any more since Photobucket decided to f**k over all their users.

I found this great article which has step by step guide with photos which is really easy to follow. Only bit I struggled with was getting the rear cubby door off. Unfortunately I've broken that during the process but it should hopefully go back in ok.

Article here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... cement.htm

Here's some other tips that would've helped me out...

1. Have the roof half open. Give yourself some head height, but don't have it full retracted as you'll need to unclip some bits of trim from underneath it.

2. Have an electric drill to hand. Once you get the console out there's about 20 Torx bolts holding the metal trim in place. Save the effort here :)

3. You'll undo a lot of screws. Keep them all in a bowl!

4. Don't have a 3 year old in the car "helping" you to do the job. It's not helpful.

5. Knee pads were a bit of a pain to get out. Use a soft pry tool and start from the bottom so at least you won't see it if you damage them at all.

40 mins flat. Not too bad as some suggest a couple of hours. I reckon now I know what I'm doing it could go back together in 15 mins or so.

Good luck!
Attachments
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG (315.55 KiB) Viewed 537 times

csquire4

Centre console removal

Post by csquire4 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:15 am

Hi - good work. Yes does seem to be an unnecessary amount of screws holding it all together.

Didn't you have to remove the rear storage console first to allow the removal of the centre one?

I did this over the summer to get the wood finish professionally painted. I'm a complete novice so took my time taking it apart, took a lot of hours but I wasn't in a rush, went back together much quicker.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97229&hilit=brave
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

step_change

Centre console removal

Post by step_change » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:32 am

More screws = less squeaks and rattles. Put *more* screws in I say....

...and good work by the way and thanks for sharing the guide. I am going to tackle this job as well. Looking for Piano black to replace the hideous brushed aluminium.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Centre console removal

Post by MrPT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Knee pads you need to slip something up under the centre console below them so it sits directly behind the pad. Then just push hard on the area around them and they'll pop out.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

greg81

Centre console removal

Post by greg81 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:55 am

csquire4 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:15 am Didn't you have to remove the rear storage console first to allow the removal of the centre one?
Yeah, there's a few bits at the back cubby that need to come out, but it's all straightforwards. Every step is pictured in the guide if you fancy giving it a try :)
step_change wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:32 am ...and good work by the way and thanks for sharing the guide. I am going to tackle this job as well. Looking for Piano black to replace the hideous brushed aluminium.
Cheers. I took it all out to wrap it (still need to spray the grey gaiter surround unfortunately...
Attachments
wrap.jpg
wrap.jpg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 448 times

greg81

Centre console removal

Post by greg81 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 am

MrPT wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm Knee pads you need to slip something up under the centre console below them so it sits directly behind the pad. Then just push hard on the area around them and they'll pop out.
Oh that's a good shout. You could probably put a plastic pry tool up under the console and try to push out a couple of the clips :thumbsup: