Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bluetooth music streaming options

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Jim28270

Post by Jim28270 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi all. I recently invested in a 2004 3.0 roadster and would appreciate any up-to-date advice on options for adding Bluetooth music streaming. I'm not too bothered about telephone control, it's just streaming that I need.

I've read quite a few threads on similar topics. There is some really useful info but it seems that most of the options discussed are no longer available, e.g. Dice Mediabridge, etc. Most also provide far more functions than I need, although this is less of a problem.

Ideally I'd like something that taps into the preinstalled CD changer cables in the boot, to save the hassle of removing the head unit and so I can mount a USB socket in the rear cubby. I have the bog standard business CD system without a MFSW. The only thing I can find that fits the bill is the Grom BT3. Connects2 seem to do a similar device at a slightly lower price but only for direct connection to the head unit, as far as I can tell.

Is there nothing else that would work for me, or am I missing something? Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 am

I used audiovox which are like rocking horse poo to get hold of. But one of these would give you what you needhttp://www.incarconnections.co.uk/bmw-bluetoot ... ector.html
Straight forward to fit and the box will sit nicely in the space behind the heated seat control panel. :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

greg81

Post by greg81 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:47 pm

This is an amazingly cheap way in if you have an iphone: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99006

wegras

Post by wegras » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Do you have an aux in socket mounted in removable panel above front ash tray and switches etc
If so a B/T receiver plugged in is a very cheap but effective solution
Last edited by wegras on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:39 pm

greg81 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:47 pm This is an amazingly cheap way in if you have an iphone: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99006
A fine suggestion if i do sayso myself 8)
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Jim28270

Post by Jim28270 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. There's no aux socket on mine, I think it may be a later addition. And I'd like to keep the oem look, otherwise I'd go for the head unit solution.

I've found a unit on eBay that is about half the price of the Grom BT3 and claims to do the same. I think the ref to 3+6 pin in the title means it will plug straight into the cd changer wiring in the boot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-Blueto ... SwmgJY52Rm

Unbranded but I've decided to take the risk. Will report back once installed in case others are interested.

Jim28270

Post by Jim28270 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Okay, so I installed the eBay Bluetooth unit in the boot this evening. It works perfectly but there's a fatal flaw: it's permanently on, even when the keys are out!!

It seems the cd changer prewiring only include a permanent 12v supply. The cable for the Bluetooth unit allows you to use this, or to use a separate switched supply (see detachable connection in photo), but I can't find one in the boot area.
IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG (194.03 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
I'm thinking it will have to go back. :thumbsdown: I'd be interested to know if the mediabridge/Grom type devices that use the cd changer cable work the same way (permanently on)? I guess you get what you pay for and they are probably more sophisticated, maybe use the can bus to switch on and off.

Jim

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Pretty sure my Grom powers down.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

jamesditchy

Post by jamesditchy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 pm

I had a problem with my dvd drive searching for the disc and draining the battery as it shares that same 12v supply. I ran a length of cable direct from the fuse board and used a piggy back fuse to give it a switched live supply. Could be an option.

krusty

Post by krusty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 am

Jim28270 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 pm ... adding Bluetooth music
... or am I missing something?
Yes - you will be missing quite a lot by using Bluetooth. Bluetooth streaming is a lossy digital format, which means it discards a huge content of your music, and hopes you won't care, or won't notice the harsh strident compressed lossy sound. You will also be nuking your brain and dangly bits every time you use Bluetooth in the car, and since you are sitting within 30cm of it, and the windows etc tend to reflect and bounce all the waves around, it is a bit like cooking yourself on low heat in a microwave. Go for quality.

Jim28270

Post by Jim28270 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 pm

krusty wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 am You will also be nuking your brain and dangly bits every time you use Bluetooth in the car, and since you are sitting within 30cm of it, and the windows etc tend to reflect and bounce all the waves around, it is a bit like cooking yourself on low heat in a microwave.
Granted Bluetooth uses a lossy codec but it's no less safe than other radio waves. They pass straight through glass (as do micro waves for that matter)!

thecremeegg

Post by thecremeegg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:51 pm

krusty wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 am
Jim28270 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 pm ... adding Bluetooth music
... or am I missing something?
Yes - you will be missing quite a lot by using Bluetooth. Bluetooth streaming is a lossy digital format, which means it discards a huge content of your music, and hopes you won't care, or won't notice the harsh strident compressed lossy sound. You will also be nuking your brain and dangly bits every time you use Bluetooth in the car, and since you are sitting within 30cm of it, and the windows etc tend to reflect and bounce all the waves around, it is a bit like cooking yourself on low heat in a microwave. Go for quality.
The nuking part, just lol, the lossy part might be fair but get something that supports aptX and you'll be hard pressed to notice!