Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft top question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Rusky

Soft top question

Post by Rusky » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm

When i retract my soft top it seems to catch on the D type bracket on the bulk head. My question is what is the function of the bracket and can it be removed or is it needed for the roof to lock in the down position?

Thanks

Russ
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Soft top question

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Rusky wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm When i retract my soft top it seems to catch on the D type bracket on the bulk head. My question is what is the function of the bracket and can it be removed or is it needed for the roof to lock in the down position?

Thanks

Russ
The si models do without that catch so I don't think it's essential, the hydraulic mechanism provides a degree of locking in itself :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Rusky

Soft top question

Post by Rusky » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 pm

hmm i did think that might be the case, might give it a go and see what happens Thanks Rob :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

srhutch

Soft top question

Post by srhutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 pm

The bracket was removed around facelift time. My last zed made Aug 06 didn't have it, my current one made Jan 06 did. I say did as I have removed it as it wash brushing the head lining.

It's easy enough to remove , think the centre top panel only has to be removed from the console.

Rusky

Soft top question

Post by Rusky » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:42 pm

srhutch wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:40 pm The bracket was removed around facelift time. My last zed made Aug 06 didn't have it, my current one made Jan 06 did. I say did as I have removed it as it wash brushing the head lining.

It's easy enough to remove , think the centre top panel only has to be removed from the console.
thats exactly what mine does, i take it no issues with the roof staying down with it removed?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Soft top question

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 pm

There is no way the roof could raise as it's just too heavy. Mine sometimes doesn't latch in, but after I have driven a few hundred yards, it drops in of it's own accord. As said, it was removed on the facelifts, probably because BMW had that many people complaining about it, and they could also save a few ££...

One thing I have noticed, is if a roof has been dyed/treated, it can make the fabric stiffer so it doesn't fold as easily. I don't think a lot of people realise that the outer layer of the hood isn't meant to be waterproof, it is supposed to let the water through, which then drains down the intermediate rubberised sheet, straight into the drains, flooding the motor :)

Mike

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Soft top question

Post by buzyg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 pm

What Bracket? Not fitted to the ///M Roadster either.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Soft top question

Post by ben g » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Remove it if its causing problems. I removed mine, although i think its back on now. The roof wont come back up. Not even sure why it latches in, as its really heavy.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Rusky

Soft top question

Post by Rusky » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:58 am

Thanks for all the replys guys. Think it will be removed this weekend. :thumbsup:

S4rap

Soft top question

Post by S4rap » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi all,I'm new here. My newly acquired z4 will not lock down when the roof is opened. It doesn't seem to go down far enough to lock. I see folk saying that it can't possibly come back up when not locked down but does this apply when doing 80mph on the motorway. I'm opening it manually,the chap I bought the car off said it was a Manuel roof,is there somewhere I can check via the vin just what the car came with when new. Many thanks.

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Soft top question

Post by GAZA62 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:27 pm

S4rap wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:02 pm Hi all,I'm new here. My newly acquired z4 will not lock down when the roof is opened. It doesn't seem to go down far enough to lock. I see folk saying that it can't possibly come back up when not locked down but does this apply when doing 80mph on the motorway. I'm opening it manually,the chap I bought the car off said it was a Manuel roof,is there somewhere I can check via the vin just what the car came with when new. Many thanks.
Mine has not locked down for a long time now I just turn around and give it a little tap job done.
T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Jim28270

Soft top question

Post by Jim28270 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 pm One thing I have noticed, is if a roof has been dyed/treated, it can make the fabric stiffer so it doesn't fold as easily. I don't think a lot of people realise that the outer layer of the hood isn't meant to be waterproof, it is supposed to let the water through, which then drains down the intermediate rubberised sheet, straight into the drains, flooding the motor :)
This happened to me. The roof latched down fine when I bought the car in June. Then I re-dyed and treated the roof and ever since it's failed to latch on its own. It stops about a cm short, but it can still be pushed down by hand to latch it. The headlining also brushes the latch now but I can't remember whether it did that before.

I'm sure the risk of eventual damage to the headlining with the latch in place is greater than any risk of the roof moving with the latch removed. The headlining already marked, so I might remove the latch if I can find the time. Presumably you just unplug and leave the electric connection?

srhutch

Soft top question

Post by srhutch » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 pm What Bracket? Not fitted to the ///M Roadster either.
Early ones will have it like mine. It wasn't changed exactly at face lift time.