Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Question re business srereo

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Alan W

Post by Alan W » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:57 am

Hi.. l note that my 2007 e86 has an aux input for srereo under the dash. I have seen some usb to aux adaptors on ebay but it says that your car stereo must have the following:

1. please make sure your device have the mp3 decode function, that can read the mp3 file from U-disk
2.You must ensure that your car was equipped with aux interface and supports aux decoding or It won't work

Does anyone know if this will work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191952854394

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:04 am

I can't see how plugging a USB stick into it will work, but at £1.29 you can't really lose too much, except your £1.29.

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 am

I suspect they are correct about reading a USB MP3 recording.

Plugging the correct lead with a capacitor in the lead forces the stereo to see the new device as an auxiliary unit and will display AUX when the aux button is selected. It will play MP3 players or iPops etc, but not a memory stick straight off.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am

Yeah it won't play anything that can't manage its own audio in that sense.

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Can't see that working. The aux socket carries an analogue signal from an analogue device into the analogue radio input. Music stored on a USB stick is stored in digital format. For this to work it would need a means of accessing files, an ability to let you select files, an MP3 decoder, a digital to analogue converter and to make it all work it would need to get power from somewhere.

It seams to imply if you have a U-disc with MP3 decoder built in it would work, but I still struggle to understand how because the U disc would require some sort of operating system, application software and a power supply for it to function. Albeit I am not an expert on U-discs so I am happy to be told otherwise.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.