Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anybody good with Vinyl?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm thinking of wrapping the circled panel below in carbon fibre vinyl and painting the underside black. However I have never wrapped anything in my life so I think it's going to test me.

Does anyone have experience of doing something like this and know what I'm letting myself in for?

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by Lynchy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 pm

The wrap is cheap to buy so why not have a go yourself, if it turns out crap only a few quid lost and no damage done .

greg81

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by greg81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Is is the whole rear diffuser or just the ridged bit outlined in the pics? If it's the latter then I'd suggest that would be fairly easy to do. The whole diffuser would be a completely different story.

I've done quite a few homers of various trim bits and it's actually fairly simple but starts to get very tough with odd shapes and angles. As suggested above just buy a cheap length and see how it goes.

I just wrapped all my interior trim with this stuff. It's cheap but pretty good quality. Wouldn't recommend it for exterior use BUT I would recommend it for a first attempt as you won't break the bank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IU9 ... ref=plSrch
Attachments
IMG_20170812_154123422.jpg
IMG_20170812_154123422.jpg (217.98 KiB) Viewed 824 times

thanatu55

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Yeah I was planning on doing it myself like I've done the rest, but I'm used to paint and body work. I have no experience with I was just wondering how easy / difficult it is or whether it will even look decent or tacky.

I want to tie it in with the carbon fiber front splitter.

greg81

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by greg81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:13 pm

You might want to wrap it in multiple pieces and cut it well so the joins can't be seen. It's not like anyone is going to be on their knees inspecting it.

If you did try it out with cheap vinyl first you'd need to do it again with a quality heat resistant product. The only other issue you have with wrapping down there is it's very close to the ground and the in turn, the elements.

Have you considered hydrodipping? Assuming the diffuser itself is removable

thanatu55

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:15 pm

greg81 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:06 pm Is is the whole rear diffuser or just the ridged bit outlined in the pics? If it's the latter then I'd suggest that would be fairly easy to do. The whole diffuser would be a completely different story.

I've done quite a few homers of various trim bits and it's actually fairly simple but starts to get very tough with odd shapes and angles. As suggested above just buy a cheap length and see how it goes.

I just wrapped all my interior trim with this stuff. It's cheap but pretty good quality. Wouldn't recommend it for exterior use BUT I would recommend it for a first attempt as you won't break the bank

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IU9 ... ref=plSrch
Thank's, I only plan to do the ridge panel, it would be a waste of time for me attempting any more than that as I can only imagine how awkward it would be.

The bottom section I plan on painting black.

I have a carbon fiber splitter (below) and I would be attempting to replicate the theme on the rear, Im not so happy with the full body colour on underneath section.

thanatu55

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm

greg81 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:13 pm You might want to wrap it in multiple pieces and cut it well so the joins can't be seen. It's not like anyone is going to be on their knees inspecting it.

If you did try it out with cheap vinyl first you'd need to do it again with a quality heat resistant product. The only other issue you have with wrapping down there is it's very close to the ground and the in turn, the elements.

Have you considered hydrodipping? Assuming the diffuser itself is removable
The diffuser was a full extension piece that I have blended into the original bumper. If it comes off it's the full bumper that would need to go.

greg81

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by greg81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm

That panel I'd say from the pics would be very simple.

My tips are to have a good heat gun. A hairdryer doesn't cut it. Also cut the vinyl to the edge of the panel, don't wrap it over and round the back. A new stanley blade or some good craft knives are essential.

Alternative:. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuXyeAGzEU

thanatu55

Anybody good with Vinyl?

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:02 pm

greg81 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm That panel I'd say from the pics would be very simple.

My tips are to have a good heat gun. A hairdryer doesn't cut it. Also cut the vinyl to the edge of the panel, don't wrap it over and round the back. A new stanley blade or some good craft knives are essential.

Alternative:. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuXyeAGzEU
Thanks mate I might give it a go this weekend.

Love how he's done that alloy, but that's slightly beyond my capabilities :o