Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Secondary cat delete

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rhapsodicboom

Secondary cat delete

Post by rhapsodicboom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Thinking of taking out the 2nd cat'anti get a better exhaust note. From what I've read this didn't affect emissions as no sensors there. Those who've done this what's your experience on exhaust Sound, pops on in over run .how much am I looking to get thisbdkne amd if any garages in London area you'd recommend
Last edited by rhapsodicboom on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greg81

Secondary car delete

Post by greg81 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Considered this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89154

Tried, tested and loved by many zed owners

RyanB88

Secondary car delete

Post by RyanB88 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Which engine?
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Silverzedtom

Secondary car delete

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:04 am

Have you already changed anything on the exhaust system?

If you have a facelift zed then consider a back box delete? :evil:

I've had mine chopped out and im really happy with it.

:driving:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Secondary car delete

Post by buzyg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:41 am

From the Title I though you were selling your Zed, not deleting your Cat. :? :lol: :wink:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Secondary car delete

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:45 am

rhapsodicboom wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm Thinking of taking out the 2nd cat'anti get a better exhaust note. From what I've read this didn't affect emissions as no sensors there. Those who've done this what's your experience on exhaust Sound, pops on in over run .how much am I looking to get thisbdkne amd if any garages in London area you'd recommend
Removing the secondary cats alone won't give you much, as the backbox will still filter it out - BUT, as Greg posted above, I can help you with that :)

On mine, I have one of my modded boxes and have also removed the internals from the sec cats, so the car still appears std from underneath. If you remove the sec cats completely, you'll prob get an MOT fail.

Mine sounds like this BTW..

Mike

greg81

Secondary car delete

Post by greg81 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:02 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:45 am
rhapsodicboom wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm Thinking of taking out the 2nd cat'anti get a better exhaust note. From what I've read this didn't affect emissions as no sensors there. Those who've done this what's your experience on exhaust Sound, pops on in over run .how much am I looking to get thisbdkne amd if any garages in London area you'd recommend
Removing the secondary cats alone won't give you much, as the backbox will still filter it out - BUT, as Greg posted above, I can help you with that :)

On mine, I have one of my modded boxes and have also removed the internals from the sec cats, so the car still appears std from underneath. If you remove the sec cats completely, you'll prob get an MOT fail.

Mike
Your neighbors must love you :rofl:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Secondary car delete

Post by Maniac » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:20 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:41 am From the Title I though you were selling your Zed, not deleting your Cat. :? :lol: :wink:

My finances would certainly improve with a secondary car delete...

rhapsodicboom

Secondary cat delete

Post by rhapsodicboom » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Mike
Mines the 3.0si , i had a read through your post and sounds good. Do you have different "settings" when modding the box depending on what sound you want. Initially i was thinking that getting rid of the secondary cats will add pops and a bit of rumble but i think youre mod is the solution. Ill drop you a pm soon.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Secondary cat delete

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:09 am

rhapsodicboom wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Mike
Mines the 3.0si , i had a read through your post and sounds good. Do you have different "settings" when modding the box depending on what sound you want. Initially i was thinking that getting rid of the secondary cats will add pops and a bit of rumble but i think youre mod is the solution. Ill drop you a pm soon.
Yes, I can do std mod like mine or Marlon spec, 40% louder, also as per the box I did for Flyingfifer
recently, and anything inbetween.

Mike

Player 1

Secondary cat delete

Post by Player 1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 am

If wanted, I do have a pair of 2.5/3.0i secondary decat pipes made up and ready to go?
At they moment they're cut just before where they'd meet up with the resonator so there's plenty of space to fit them up to your existing muffler.
The annoying bit of actually getting the cats out though is all done and are welded back up :thumbsup:

Flyingfifer

Secondary cat delete

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:09 am Yes, I can do std mod like mine or Marlon spec, 40% louder, also as per the box I did for Flyingfifer
recently, and anything inbetween.

Mike
Il get a video of mine over the weekend to demo the sound :thumbsup:

P.S. thoroughly recommend DLVs box mod!
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Chris1981

Secondary cat delete

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am

The 3.0si (N52) Euro spec engines do not have secondary cats, only a front silencer and Cats in the headers only so you should have no issues removing it, I've had mine removed and a SS system put in.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=18_0653

However as Mike has pointed out his back box mod will give you all the pops and bangs you desire without the need to mess around with the front silencer.

I've compared my SS system to one of mikes modded back boxes and I have to admit the modded back box is far superior sounding to mine.
E86 Coupe 3.0si Sport - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey with Piano Black dash
BC BR series Coilovers, powerflex bushes, 15mm spacers, Custom SS exhaust, CDV delete

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Secondary cat delete

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

Chris1981 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am The 3.0si (N52) Euro spec engines do not have secondary cats, only a front silencer and Cats in the headers only so you should have no issues removing it, I've had mine removed and a SS system put in.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=18_0653

However as Mike has pointed out his back box mod will give you all the pops and bangs you desire without the need to mess around with the front silencer.

I've compared my SS system to one of mikes modded back boxes and I have to admit the modded back box is far superior sounding to mine.
Thanks for the comparison!

Mike

JimBob78

Secondary cat delete

Post by JimBob78 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm

I've done a front silencer delete, replaced wiyh straight pipe. It's a subtle improvement, some quite muted pops on overrun but now I'm wanting a bit more i think... Cost me 100 quid all in.