Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Disabled use Z4?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:08 pm

My pal used to park his chair next to the car and lug himself across into the car - he was then able to reach the wheel spindles and remove the wheels and stow behind the seats - the frame was dumped into the passenger well.

Im sure that if the bits fit into the car, you will develop a method :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

DumfriesDik

Disabled use Z4?

Post by DumfriesDik » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Sorry to be so late to the party. I have a 2008 3.0 si auto with hand controls and < 35k miles. I am thinking of selling - make me an offer I can not refuse.

My quickie Xenon2 SA fits in the boot just fine. I am in SW Scotland, if you're local, lets go for a spin.
One Carbon Black Z4 3.0 si Roadster plus one mid-life crisis = Good times ahead!

ScoobyR1

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ScoobyR1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:50 pm

DumfriesDik wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:52 pm Sorry to be so late to the party. I have a 2008 3.0 si auto with hand controls and < 35k miles. I am thinking of selling - make me an offer I can not refuse.

My quickie Xenon2 SA fits in the boot just fine. I am in SW Scotland, if you're local, lets go for a spin.
Wow that sounds awesome! I'm just south of Edinburgh so not a million miles away from you I'll pm you, perhaps arrange a meet ? :thumbsup:
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

Now sold '03 Sterling grey 2.5 E85 :(

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Disabled use Z4?

Post by mcbeee » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 pm

ScoobyR1 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Actually haven't tried it for space in the boot yet, was thinking more of putting it into the front passenger seat! I know, a bit selfish :lol:
:driving:
I was in town the other day and I saw a fellow with a wheelchair that comes apart into small bits . He was sitting in the front seat of his car, pops a wheel off and puts it in the car, pops another wheel off and does the same, then the centre folds up and he puts it in the car, minimum space required. Smaller wheels, quick releases etc, neat design ...I stopped and stared because this was a really good idea, unfortunately I didn't ask for details about the chair just chatted for a minute then moved on. iYears ago, a close friend was a wheelie and had a "normal " chair" that closed up but it had large fixed wheels so it was a pain to put in vehicles. (He also had a Chevelle with over 400HP and hand controls, swapped out later for a Beetle convertible, much easier to store the chair, top down and throw it behind the front seats)
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Sticks

Disabled use Z4?

Post by Sticks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Very sorry to hear about your injury and hope you're doing well otherwise. I had a RTA in 99, now walk with sticks.

It'd probably worth having a chat with the Spinal Injury Association, not only about what adaptions you could have done to your car, but also the best wheelchair, if you haven't got a suitable one yet. I still have a Quickie which I think would fit in the passenger seat, but being fairly SWB it wasn't very good on uneven roads, paths, or if being pushed, so check it out thoroughly.

https://www.spinal.co.uk/

I bet these folk have info on options too. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/

I've had my Z4 13 years so I totally get why you'd want to keep it, or a similar one if you couldn't. I did think about another TVR but once bitten....

Great to see the support on here too, excellent stuff :thumbsup:

Although there will be plenty of challenges, you'll be amazed at what you can still do. You will, really.

Nick
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Sticks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm
Although there will be plenty of challenges, you'll be amazed at what you can still do. You will, really.

Nick
I would agree with all of that !
My old mate (T4) skied, snow and water and also had a micro light aircraft. It was adapted and approved by the aviation authorities.
So yes, there's still plenty to do if you put your mind to it.

ScoobyR1

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ScoobyR1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Sticks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm Very sorry to hear about your injury and hope you're doing well otherwise. I had a RTA in 99, now walk with sticks.

It'd probably worth having a chat with the Spinal Injury Association, not only about what adaptions you could have done to your car, but also the best wheelchair, if you haven't got a suitable one yet. I still have a Quickie which I think would fit in the passenger seat, but being fairly SWB it wasn't very good on uneven roads, paths, or if being pushed, so check it out thoroughly.

https://www.spinal.co.uk/

I bet these folk have info on options too. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/

I've had my Z4 13 years so I totally get why you'd want to keep it, or a similar one if you couldn't. I did think about another TVR but once bitten....

Great to see the support on here too, excellent stuff :thumbsup:

Nick
Thanks for the info and support, Sticks. I'll certainly check out the links as well. :thumbsup:
Cheers
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

ScoobyR1

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ScoobyR1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Sticks wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Nick
I would agree with all of that !
My old mate (T4) skied, snow and water and also had a micro light aircraft. It was adapted and approved by the aviation authorities.
So yes, there's still plenty to do if you put your mind to it.
Hi Ronk

Thanks also for your tales of your friends exploits, which are an inspiration. It's funny how sometimes you can be so limited by your own lack of ambition, my mate and I were on an adventure, into a shopping centre not far from the spinal unit, on the bus on the way back there were 3 of us in wheelchairs, strictly speaking not allowed. when we asked the other guy where he was travelling from, he told us Warsaw. He was travelling by himself and told us he had been to many places throughout the world, travelling alone ! We felt that our adventure was aiming pretty low after this conversation ! :D

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 pm

I well remember my old mate telling me that when he was in Hexham spinal unit that he and the other folk who were bedbound at the time, could see some other patients outside doing training in wheelchairs and he said they all dreamed of the day they were mended enough to get a chair !

I saw the fella conquer one ambition/ pursuit at a time - it’s worth saying that his accident was motorcycle related but it didn’t stop him riding pillion on his mates Goldwing with feet Velcroed to the pegs!

ScoobyR1

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ScoobyR1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 pm I well remember my old mate telling me that when he was in Hexham spinal unit that he and the other folk who were bedbound at the time, could see some other patients outside doing training in wheelchairs and he said they all dreamed of the day they were mended enough to get a chair !

I saw the fella conquer one ambition/ pursuit at a time - it’s worth saying that his accident was motorcycle related but it didn’t stop him riding pillion on his mates Goldwing with feet Velcroed to the pegs!
He He
Sounds like your mate had a heck of a lot of spirit :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Yep - “ inspirational “ was often used !
The guy was our IT manager and would often sit with me at a CAD terminal and we came up with adaptations for his toys. The Micro lite wasn’t something that could be modified without authority tho but the ski bob, third wheel (cycle) for the chair were all fair game!

Ps He never did tell his mother he’d been on a bike - we were all under orders to keep quiet about it!

scott delong

Disabled use Z4?

Post by scott delong » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:33 am

I'm in the same situation, having rendered myself paraplegic in a motorcycle accident. Scooby- How can I contact you? I'm in Florida USA.Tel is 727 482 2701 Facebook is scottdelong27. 8)
2007 Z4si coupe

spokes

Disabled use Z4?

Post by spokes » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi Scooby - A very late reply. Apologies for not replying earlier. I can see that you have had alot of information and hopefully you can see that driving a Z4 and other vehicles is not out of the question.

Hand controls on an automatic car is the easiest and cheapest option. Have done this on cars since 1989. There are lots of conversion people out there and the conversion can be done in a matter of hours. :thumbsup:

Using a system to operate the clutch on a manual car is another option but more expensive. I had an electrically operated clutch on a Westfield Kit car and that was easy to use. Just a matter of pressing a button that engaged a motor which was connected to the clutch pedal via a chain. The system also sensed when slowing down and engaged the clutch to prevent stalling. :driving: Of course if you are also using hand controls for brake and throttle it takes a bit of practice getting your three hands in the right place :P

It is all do-able and your injuries shouldn't prevent fun! I know that I can drive just as quickly as able bodied drivers on the road. On the track is another matter as the forces involved are that much greater although with the right seat and harness's it is a real hoot!

Oh I should say that my wheelchair fits in the passenger seat when I am on my own and fits nicely in the boot when I have a passenger. I took the Z4C to Le Mans for the last two years. One year with a passenger and everything fitted including a dozen bottles of France's finest on the return. :D Also taken the car from Oxford to Scotland a couple of times. Just soaks up the motorway miles.

If I can help at all please ask, more than happy. Chris
Black Z4 Coupe auto
VW Golf GTD (diesel daily)
previous Sylva Striker, Westfield
Pedals optional :D

ScoobyR1

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ScoobyR1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:58 pm

scott delong wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:33 am I'm in the same situation, having rendered myself paraplegic in a motorcycle accident. Scooby- How can I contact you? I'm in Florida USA.Tel is 727 482 2701 Facebook is scottdelong27. 8)
Hiya Scott

I've replied to you on FB but you've not responded :poke:

ScoobyR1

Disabled use Z4?

Post by ScoobyR1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 am

spokes wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pmHi Scooby - A very late reply. Apologies for not replying earlier. I can see that you have had alot of information and hopefully you can see that driving a Z4 and other vehicles is not out of the question.

Hand controls on an automatic car is the easiest and cheapest option. Have done this on cars since 1989. There are lots of conversion people out there and the conversion can be done in a matter of hours. :thumbsup:

Using a system to operate the clutch on a manual car is another option but more expensive. I had an electrically operated clutch on a Westfield Kit car and that was easy to use. Just a matter of pressing a button that engaged a motor which was connected to the clutch pedal via a chain. The system also sensed when slowing down and engaged the clutch to prevent stalling. :driving: Of course if you are also using hand controls for brake and throttle it takes a bit of practice getting your three hands in the right place :P

It is all do-able and your injuries shouldn't prevent fun! I know that I can drive just as quickly as able bodied drivers on the road. On the track is another matter as the forces involved are that much greater although with the right seat and harness's it is a real hoot!

Oh I should say that my wheelchair fits in the passenger seat when I am on my own and fits nicely in the boot when I have a passenger. I took the Z4C to Le Mans for the last two years. One year with a passenger and everything fitted including a dozen bottles of France's finest on the return. :D Also taken the car from Oxford to Scotland a couple of times. Just soaks up the motorway miles.

If I can help at all please ask, more than happy. Chris
Hiya Chris/Spokes

I've got my auto fitted with hand controls and I've had to buy a harness, similar to a racing harness, to hold me in place when cornering. The harness simply holds me to the seat, I still have to wear a seat belt over the harness. Other than my legs flopping about I've managed to settle into the whole disabled driving thing alright. I'm managing to transfer my wheelchair without having to put the roof down :rofl: which is good :thumbsup:

Maybe see you at Zedfest or out on a run :thumbsup: